if you have at least 1 vaxed and 1 non vaxed kiddo, did you notice any differences? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-10-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first son (now 6 years old) was vaxed pretty much on schedule, mainly because I didn't know any better. My 2nd son is now 11 months and has only received 2 doses of rota virus. My 2nd one crawled a lot sooner, walked a lot sooner, and began saying little words a lot sooner. I distinctly remember my older son constantly stumbling when learning to crawl, and bumping his head on the hard wood floor all the time. greensad.gif My second son hardly ever does this. I remember reading on the Mercola website (I know, I know) that unvaccinated kids generally do crawl and walk sooner, and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this? or is it "just a coincidence"?? (Ha)
#2 of 13 Old 05-10-2012, 06:05 PM

My oldest received all of his vaccinations on schedule until I had a change of heart around 15 months.

My oldest has mild  ADD and my other two do not.  He is also the quirkiest of my children - and does have a few issues with taking things literally and hyper-focusing on topics that interest him.  He does not have Aspergers, but he is probably closest to it of all my children - if that makes sense.  Ds also has dysgraphia.  

Ds did not have any reaction to vaccines - AFAIK.  Little people cannot tell us if anything is going on.  

My younger two, completely unvaxxed, do not have LD of any kind and are not quirky.

I am not comfortable blaming his ADD and dysgraphia on vaccines, although who really knows?  He has other risk factors, including :

-he is a boy

-he had the most difficult birth of my 3 children

It will be interesting to see how others respond.  

edited to add:  Ds did walk and speak later than the girls - but not by much.  He has a tendency to wait until he can do things, then he does them perfectly.  He spoke late, but in almost full sentences, from the get-go.  

#3 of 13 Old 05-11-2012, 05:41 AM
J2

My son, now 6, was fully vaxed for a couple of months, then delayed vax, then stopped after 9 month shots. My daughter, now 3 and a half, has not been vaxed at all...but she learned everything later than my son. He walked at 9 months, she was around a year old. He always talked better and had a larger vocabulary. Do fur us, it is my vaxed kid that just happens to be more advanced at each stage compared to my unvaxed kid. So no, vaccines didn't affect anything there for us developmentally. And usually girls are more advanced than boys but not the case with my kids. My vaxed son has always been very advanced. My unvaxed daughter, I would say she is average...and definitely always more "behind" where her brother was at that particular age.

Now, my unvaxed daughter is very healthy. Never really gets sick. She will get a random fever but not other symtoms and be done with the fever in a day. My son does get sick sometimes (though still not too often). And my son had some milk and egg allergies until he was age 4.

#4 of 13 Old 05-11-2012, 05:54 AM

I only have one ds, but he's fully vaxed and:

Walked: 8.5 mo

Stood independently (not holding onto anything, not pulling up, stood in the middle of the floor): 7.5mo

Talked: full sentences by 20mo

Is now obsessed with space shuttles and the National Air and Space Museum, and sat enthralled in a lecture about the Space Station - to which he said, "Thats not a rocket, how did they get THAT into space?"

He's 3yo, and very precocious.

ETA - We skip the flu vax though. Always have, always will.

Youngfrankenstein likes this.
#5 of 13 Old 05-11-2012, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My eldest DD now almost 22 was vaxed until her 2nd MMR (on a schedule that would look like a selected/delayed one today), my younger two (14 and 12) are completely unvaxed. There was a difference. My DD definitely displayed some ADD like behaviors, enough that her 3rd grade teacher asked that we have her evaluated (she was pushing us to medicate). The evaluation did not reveal that she had ADD or any learning disabilities. School was a struggle all the way through, and not because she couldn't do it, she just wasn't interested in working at it. She did graduate high school, but has opted not to go to college. She is a very smart, articulate young woman with a thirst for knowledge - just not the kind taught in schools and colleges! She had reactions to the first two DPT shots given at 4 months and 6 months (I delayed her vaxes), the common DPT scream, inconsolable crying for a couple of hours or so after each shot. She was a strong, healthy child (still is), and the only time she needed to see a doctor because of illness was when she had rotavirus as a 9 month old. She nursed until she was four years old and has never had antibiotics in her life. The only other "risk" factor  for the ADD would be a c-sec birth. She walked at 10 months and was always ahead in gross and fine motor skills.

Comparing my unvaxed two, they are also just as robust and both nursed until 4 plus years of age, but they have no attention issues and are both very calm kids with great impulse control. Both are honor roll students. Neither have ever been sick enough to require a sick visit to a doctor and have never taken antibiotics or any other pharmaceutical medications in their lives. Other differences: both were born vaginally (DS 12 was UC). DD 14 was my late walker at 13 months and DS who is off the charts athletic, walked at 9 months.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 13 Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 AM

My oldest was vaxed until 6 months, and then nothing afterwards. My 2nd received 1 vax at 6 months (Hib).  My youngest has not received any vaxes.  My oldest was diagnosed with global developmental delay when she was younger and did everything late (crawling, walking, talking, etc.)  My middle child did everything early (walking, crawling, etc.) and my youngest pretty much avg as far as walking, talking, etc. goes.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#7 of 13 Old 05-12-2012, 08:09 PM

My daughter was vaxed on schedule through age 2.

My son has had two doses of DTaP.

They are now almost 6 (daughter) and 2.5 (son).

My daughter has sensory processing disorder, probable ADHD (we've been told they won't officially diagnose until six, but multiple doctors, teachers and therapists have told us this), a heart murmur, mild ureteral reflux (likely genetic), and psoriasis. She's been in OT for over a year, and on the recommendation of both of OT and her pedi, she's seeing a child psychologist as well. My daughter was also the result of a complicated pregnancy and an induced labor at 37.5 weeks. She also had colic as a newborn.

My son had zero health issues prior to receiving DTaP. Following that, he developed nasal congestion and seasonal allergies. He's pretty much full of snot several months out of the year now. He was the result of a normal pregnancy and was born peacefully at home.

I have no way of knowing for sure if my daughter's problems were caused by vaccination, but she's definitely not as healthy as her brother.

#8 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 AM

My oldest - Emma - 8.5 years old  - partially vaccinated, she had hep b and the first two sets of infant shots.  She reacted badly, but not bad enough for the doctors to recommend that we stop vaccinating, of course. (We did anyway.)  Her neurological reactions were denied and minimized.  Emma is now a highly sensitive, intense, hyperactive, impulsive, moody child.  We do manage her symptoms with lithium orotate since learning that she is highly deficient in lithium. The supplementation has helped quite a bit.

My middle child - Adeline - 6.5 years old - vaccine free.  She has none of the issues that my oldest has, and she almost never gets sick.  When she does, it's very minor and short-lived.

My youngest - Genevieve - 10 months old - vaccine free.  She's never been sick, not even a runny nose.  She seems very level like my middle child.

I can't say for sure how much of the above issues is personality-related.  We feel that our oldest was intense since birth, but she also got her first shot when she was 6 hours old or less.  So it's difficult to say how much is related to vaccine injury and how much is "just Emma." 

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#9 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitermama View Post

My first son (now 6 years old) was vaxed pretty much on schedule, mainly because I didn't know any better. My 2nd son is now 11 months and has only received 2 doses of rota virus. My 2nd one crawled a lot sooner, walked a lot sooner, and began saying little words a lot sooner. I distinctly remember my older son constantly stumbling when learning to crawl, and bumping his head on the hard wood floor all the time. greensad.gif My second son hardly ever does this. I remember reading on the Mercola website (I know, I know) that unvaccinated kids generally do crawl and walk sooner, and was wondering if anyone else has noticed this? or is it "just a coincidence"?? (Ha)

I know that you're looking for anecdotes comparing milestones of vaxxed to unvaxxed, so you might have little interest in mine.  Both of my littles are vaccinated according to the CDC schedule and my son (second child, 14 months) has reached his milestones at the same age (smiling, laughing, eye contact, rolling, sitting up, standing) or sooner (crawling, walking...way sooner on both of these) than his sister (3...they're almost exactly 2 yrs apart).  Both reached their milestones at the early end of the range.  I attribute my son's early crawling and walking to having someone older to chase after/learn from.  My sister who has two similarly aged boys is seeing a similar pattern of her second doing things earlier than her first.  I'm wondering what data might be available on age of milestone scheivement for second and subsequent children compared to first borns.     

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#10 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am not sure that comparing milestones in vaxed vs unvaxed babies is really all that helpful. My vaxed child hit her milestones earlier than her unvaxed sister. She was also just as healthy and robust. The difference in the two is that she displayed ADD tendencies and her younger sister did/does not. My unvaxed DS hit is milestones marginally earlier than his vaxed big sis, except for potty learning, he also is robust and healthy, but again no learning/focus issues. My DD's issues also did not surface until she was in grade school (her very last vax was measles at age 5). By the way, none of my children, vaxed or unvaxed had runny noses, coughs, ear infections etc as babies (or children for that matter). I can also count the number of melt-downs the three of them had as little ones combined on one hand. There is so much, much more to health than avoiding vaccines (or not).

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#11 of 13 Old 05-20-2012, 07:23 PM

My older daughter was completely unvaxxed until I had a change of heart when she was 2.5 (now she's 3).  My 7 month old is on a delayed schedule--she got her first vax at 3 months.

Did I notice any differences?  In terms of developmental milestones, they've hit them at the same ages (so far, we're only talking about rolling over, sitting and army crawling).  In terms of temperament, they have huge differences.  DD1 screamed a lot of her first year.  She was a very high needs baby who couldn't be put down at all without screaming.  DD2 is really easygoing and mellow.  In terms of general immune function, I'd say it's pretty comparable.  DD1 didn't get sick as a baby, and so far DD2 hasn't gotten sick either.  And it's actually more impressive in DD2's situation.  When DD1 was a baby, I was a stay at home mom who rarely socialized with other babies/kids.  Now DD2 goes to gym daycare every day, comes with me to work (part time, I work at a store with lots of babies around), and comes with us for all DD1's playdates.  She's exposed to way more germs but still hasn't gotten sick. 

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#12 of 13 Old 05-21-2012, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)

My two are both fully vaccinated, and hit milestones at different ages (generally early). Kids vary.  

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#13 of 13 Old 05-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Banned

My older dd was vaxed on a delayed schedule and is now fully vaxed including flu.  She was a first baby, and an only child for 5 years and 11 months.  She walked late and talked on time.  She likes activities that involve a high degree of focus - recently, for example, she has been creating short stop-motion animations using clay, legos, whiteboards, and her father's camera and lighting equipment.  Her kindergarten teacher suggested that she may have attention difficulties, but cursory investigation revealed she was finding the impending birth of her sister somewhat distracting. 

My younger dd has been fully vaxed on schedule, including flu.  She walked EARLY - before she could stand up on her own.  Pulled up at 6 months, steps at 7.5 months, walking more than 15 feet at a time at 8 months, standing without assistance to get off the ground at 9 months, turning corners at 9.5 months.  She talked late enough to receive EI services for 6 months, but her follow up eval described her as "the most advanced two-year-old this evaluator has ever worked with" (to be fair, the evaluator mainly worked with kids with developmental disabilities, but we'll take the props).  She is exceptionally gregarious, energetic, and creative.  I anticipate that at some point in her educational career, an inexperienced educator may suggest that she has attention difficulties or hyperactivity, but she does not. 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page