Warning: Sock puppets and pharmashills on various forums - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2012, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Taxi you should know, just because we disagree on the vax issue doesn't mean we shouldn't be here.  Lots of us have really benefited greatly from friendships we've made here and the great advice we have gotten on the other forums hosted on MDC. 

Honestly I think this is just a bad judgement call on your part. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm personally shocked and horrified that you are 'shocked and horrified' to find that this actually happens. You have accused many of us vaxers and believers in science of being trolls many many times. Before you posted this nonsense. And been called out on it by mods. Publicly. Maybe they will finally ban you from posting here? I think if anyones a troll it's you.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

So, do you think sockpuppets are fictional conspiracy theories? They are not.

Taximom was simply pointing out something she found on another site. I don't see the problem with that.  If you found evidence of a non-vaxxer sockpuppet on a vax board, you would probably say something.

Depersonalization on the net...

"Here's something you may also want to consider: the belief that some of the people in your life are not real, and therefore don't "count" is known as depersonalization."

Do some of you depersonalize the mothers here? Mothers who talk about their child's vaccine reaction?

The way I see it--most vaxxing moms don't want to hear online negative vaccine anecdotes (which is a form of depersonalization), and non-vaxxing moms often wonder who is "real" and who is a shill. Since shills/sockpuppets do exist, you know.

Can't really trust anyone on the internet, I guess. This is a tough one.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 05-20-2012, 07:36 PM

Beckybird - there are also non-vax shills. They don't get paid, but they exist. Maybe on my lunch tomorrow I'll try to find you some proof.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:38 PM

And when someone comes on just to troll a board they need to be reported.  And then the Mods can take care of it.  As they have so many other times. 

Old 05-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Beckybird - there are also non-vax shills. They don't get paid, but they exist. Maybe on my lunch tomorrow I'll try to find you some proof.

I am certain there are anti-vax shills that stand to profit financially from promoting certain ideas.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

I'm personally shocked and horrified that you are 'shocked and horrified' to find that this actually happens. You have accused many of us vaxers and believers in science of being trolls many many times. Before you posted this nonsense. And been called out on it by mods. Publicly. Maybe they will finally ban you from posting here? I think if anyones a troll it's you.

non/sel/del vaxers are not "believers in science?"

In the thread you are referring to where taxi was asked to clarify/apologize, I believe mod also implied YOU do the same, to which you never did.

I don't know much about the OP of this thread... I don't go to these sites. Another poster here did bring up a similar issue she saw on a pro-vax site a few weeks ago.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

So, do you think sockpuppets are fictional conspiracy theories? They are not.

Taximom was simply pointing out something she found on another site. I don't see the problem with that.  If you found evidence of a non-vaxxer sockpuppet on a vax board, you would probably say something.

Depersonalization on the net...

"Here's something you may also want to consider: the belief that some of the people in your life are not real, and therefore don't "count" is known as depersonalization."

Do some of you depersonalize the mothers here? Mothers who talk about their child's vaccine reaction?

The way I see it--most vaxxing moms don't want to hear online negative vaccine anecdotes (which is a form of depersonalization), and non-vaxxing moms often wonder who is "real" and who is a shill. Since shills/sockpuppets do exist, you know.

Can't really trust anyone on the internet, I guess. This is a tough one.

I think we all know there are trolls on the internet. I don't think anyone needs reminding.

And she didn't just point to something she found on another site.  She went further and said "I am highlighting some of that trolling advice, because it looks very much like some of the things we have seen recently at MDC, and I think it would be a good idea to keep this in mind when researching the vaccine decision."

Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 PM

And again if it's an issue tell the mods rather than trying to create a witchhunt and discredit anyone who has a different opinion or belief.  It's never cool to go onto a forum just to poke at people.  She could have put it in the "I'm not vaxxing forum" but she put it here which makes it obvious what her intentions were. 

Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm interested in what recent activity she thinks looks like this.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

BeckyBird, a differing interpretation of causes and effects is fairly distinct from the assertion that a poster is present on the board only as a big Pharma shill, and therefore her feelings don't count and her voice should be suppressed.

I remember what it was like to be new on the Internet, and how awesome it felt to skulk around like Mulder and Scully and try to uncover the massive conspiracy in which people who disagreed with me were actually the vile minions of some heinous force, and if they were exposed everyone would see I was right. Kept me amused for about a week. Honed some useful research skills. But all I found was that sometimes people just disagree.

Plus, if someone here were a drug company shill, they would still be allowed to post as long as they followed the UA, and other posters would still have to adhere to the UA in conversations with them.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Me too. I think I have an idea, but I'd really love to see her just come out and say it rather than all this passive aggressive stuff.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 PM

I know there are anti vax shills. Shills on both sides. Look at my first paragraph! "If you found evidence of a non-vaxxer sockpuppet on a vax board, you would probably say something."

See? I acknowledged they exist. Well, would you say something if you saw a nonvax sockpuppet on a vax board? Probably, I'm guessing.

Also, there have been several new posters who were over the top with the inflammatory talk, and their posts were either removed or asked to edit. I know this because I called one a troll and got in trouble oops.gif. This happened over the past few months, and I know I'm not the only one who noticed.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 05-20-2012, 08:08 PM

I must've missed that.

I guess I don't really know what being a sock puppet entails, except in the context of having multiple un you are pretending are different, but if I were on a "pro vax board" and a non vax we came along I think I would say bring it.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 PM

Well then when and where would a big pharma shill post? Wouldn't they love an alternative forum like MDC? Or, maybe you don't believe they exist at all, which would be the end of our debate. If you don't think pharma shills exist, then I don't have anything else to say to you about this topic.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Also, there have been several new posters who were over the top with the inflammatory talk, and their posts were either removed or asked to edit. I know this because I called one a troll and got in trouble oops.gif. This happened over the past few months, and I know I'm not the only one who noticed.

if memory serves me... intolerable, selfish, anti-intellectual, what else am I missing? some of this on the I'm Not Vaccinating board... 

although some of those were not new members either. I think the 2 post poster, with identical posts, you called out was the "selfish" one becky... that was never removed or edited, last I knew...

Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:

I don't think Taxi is making a big stink about obvious trolls whose posts have been edited or removed anyway. People don't need to be warned about those.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 PM

Oh right, I do remember that one. That was a once off so I guess I didn't think it was that big of a deal.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Well then when and where would a big pharma shill post? Wouldn't they love an alternative forum like MDC? Or, maybe you don't believe they exist at all, which would be the end of our debate. If you don't think pharma shills exist, then I don't have anything else to say to you about this topic.

I don't think pharmaceutical companies pay people to post on places like mdc, no.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Oh right, I do remember that one. That was a once off so I guess I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

Exactly. That crap is easy to spot, and it gets taken care of. No need for a big warning thread about people coming to infiltrate MDC.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:16 PM

Actually Becky I don't doubt that companies use different forms to spread disinfo.  And then there are people who do it for the fun of it.

But that's not what this is about.  This is about Taxi putting out the all alert on the Researching the Vaccine decision forum.  So for all those who are starting their decision making path, please read this first and then disregard all opposing opinions as shills paid for by bigpharma...

Have a nice day.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:

The big mystery troll poster? It's you, and possibly me. (but I think you're awesome so don't leave please)
Old 05-20-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Actually Becky I don't doubt that companies use different forms to spread disinfo.  And then there are people who do it for the fun of it.

But that's not what this is about.  This is about Taxi putting out the all alert on the Researching the Vaccine decision forum.  So for all those who are starting their decision making path, please read this first and then disregard all opposing opinions as shills paid for by bigpharma...

Have a nice day.

uh, I would think it is just one more reminder to not put too much stock in crap you see other people saying on the internet... 

Old 05-20-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Have a nice day.

That's the way I'm reading it as well. 

Old 05-20-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

uh, I would think it is just one more reminder to not put too much stock in crap you see other people saying on the internet... 

Except for what Taxi has to say of course.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

Except for what Taxi has to say of course.

I happen to agree with her on a number of things. Other times, I do not agree with her. I'm also not basing any vax decision on anything posters say here, but I do use a lot of the discussion as springboard for my own research.

ha, for all we know Taxi is a pro-vax pharmashill...

Old 05-20-2012, 08:46 PM

I don't think she's a shill.  I'm sure she's really a nice person.  She's just too caught up and hasn't realized yet that this is the interwebs.  We're on a discussion forum where there will be opinions from all over the place. 

When there is a call for action, in this case a call to troll on nonvax boards, then it is important to some of us. That's all. The fact remains--there was indeed a call to troll. We all agree with that point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

I happen to agree with her on a number of things. Other times, I do not agree with her. I'm also not basing any vax decision on anything posters say here, but I do use a lot of the discussion as springboard for my own research.

I meant from Taxi's point of view. She frequently uses the tactic of casting doubt on the authenticity of others as if she is the only authentic person here, well except for those that completely agree with her.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 PM

No I get that, the issue is that it would be best if we keep reporting and having them removed.  I think the Mods do a pretty good job of taking care of complaints.  The other issue for me is she's allowing inflammatory posts to get to her.  Not to say she needs to get tougher skin but she needs to see a lie for a lie and then report.  Maybe that would be a good thing for many others as well.  It certainly would save a lot of unnecessary anger.

Quote:

When there is a call for action, in this case a call to troll on nonvax boards, then it is important to some of us. That's all. The fact remains--there was indeed a call to troll. We all agree with that point.

User Tag List