Warning: Sock puppets and pharmashills on various forums - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#61 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I don't think this thread went the way she wanted it to.  Either way it needs to be removed and maybe a Mod could just remind people to read the UC and adhere to the rules.  And then throw in a fresh reminder to flag obvious trolling.

#62 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

When there is a call for action, in this case a call to troll on nonvax boards, then it is important to some of us. That's all. The fact remains--there was indeed a call to troll. We all agree with that point.

I don't agree with that point. First of all, it is not a non-vax board. It is a science based medicine board. The blogger is a cancer surgeon who posts about lots of stuff, not just vaccines. The post was not any sort of call to arms- there was one random commentator who did that, and was immediately refuted. Orac (the blogger) does not moderate comments, and a ton of anti vax comments get left on his site. They are all there.
#63 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 PM

If Taxi had not said the following, we would not be having this discussion:

"I am highlighting some of that trolling advice, because it looks very much like some of the things we have seen recently at MDC, and I think it would be a good idea to keep this in mind when researching the vaccine decision.    Taxi"  

There is nothing wrong with the rest of her post.  I don't think the message of the OP is invalid because you are offended by a line.  It is a little like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  

There are people on forums in general who are less than honourable in their posting practices.  We all know that.

Personally, I have no issues with examples (such as the one provided in the OP) or a reminder.  I know many people need reminders, and not everyone is as internet savvy as one would expect.  

thefragile7393 likes this.
#64 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

When there is a call for action, in this case a call to troll on nonvax boards, then it is important to some of us. That's all. The fact remains--there was indeed a call to troll. We all agree with that point.

I don't know if I'd agree there was a call to action. It was two comments on two blog posts and at least one of the comments was smacked down by others. Not really a call to action IMO, at least not a meaningful one. And Taxi mentioned there were things here that made her believe this was taking place here. That's not just an FYI about the so called call to action. 

#65 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

"I am highlighting some of that trolling advice, because it looks very much like some of the things we have seen recently at MDC, and I think it would be a good idea to keep this in mind when researching the vaccine decision.    Taxi"  

There is nothing wrong with the rest of her post.

I agree that's the worst part but I think the thread title is inflammatory as well.  She didn't say MDC forums specifically, but it seems a reasonable assumption even without the line in the post.

#66 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with the rest of her post.  I don't think the message of the OP is invalid because you are offended by a line.  It is a little like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  

There are people on forums in general who are less than honourable in their posting practices.  We all know that.

Personally, I have no issues with examples (such as the one provided in the OP) or a reminder.  I know many people need reminders, and not everyone is as internet savvy as one would expect.  

I take issue over where she put it as well.  And I've already said why numerous times. 

AbbyGrant likes this.
#67 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I take issue over where she put it as well.  And I've already said why numerous times. 

Research? 

I think it is the best place to put it.

I think people who are starting to research (which is what this forum is for) do need a reminder that not everything on the internet is as it seems.  shrug.gif

I think it is a message that can serve any side of this debate, although clearly she posted it from her side and what she is annoyed by, but that is pretty typical of most posters.  

BeckyBird likes this.
#68 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 PM

If certain people came here and posted some random comments from some random anti-vax blog as "proof" people here were not authentic, people would go apeshit. It wouldn't be acceptable from either side of the issue.

#69 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

I'm going to call BS.  If certain people came here and posted some random comments from some random anti-vax blog as proof people here were not authentic, people would go apeshit.

Call BS on what?  I am not surprised people are ticked off, I get why….and yeah, people would go apeshit if the roles were reversed.

It still does not change the fact that the reminder that not everyone is what they seem on the internet is a good message.

I have needed that message in the past.  shrug.gif

#70 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Research? 

I think it is the best place to put it.

I think people who are starting to research (which is what this forum is for) do need a reminder that not everything on the internet is as it seems.  shrug.gif

I think it is a message that can serve any side of this debate, although clearly she posted it from her side and what she is annoyed by, but that is pretty typical of most posters.  

Very true.  It's best to stay away from the smearing though.

Oh and just for fun, flick your ear.  Now pretend it was me.  That's for disagreeing with me.  whistling.gif

#71 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Very true.  It's best to stay away from the smearing though.

Oh and just for fun, flick your ear.  Now pretend it was me.  That's for disagreeing with me.  whistling.gif

lol.gif

Levity in an arguement - what is this world coming to???

Good night - 11:37 on the east coast.

#72 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Good night!

Now if only Taxi would return and explain why she thought this was a good idea.

#73 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Call BS on what?  I am not surprised people are ticked off, I get why….and yeah, people would go apeshit if the roles were reversed.

It still does not change the fact that the reminder that not everyone is what they seem on the internet is a good message.

I have needed that message in the past.  shrug.gif

I edited out the BS part before you posted because it sounded rude, and I don't mean to be rude, not to you anyway. I'll admit I am totally fed up though with all the troll/shill/sock puppet accusations, and I don't think there would be such an outpouring of support here if roles were reversed. I really think starting a thread about how some people might not be what they seem and here's "proof" in this forum goes against everything the forum is about. Couple that with all the previous accusations and not so subtle digs, and IMO it's a blatant attempt to discredit certain members and mislead people.

#74 of 76 Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Focusing just on the original post......I'm not surprised that people were on another forum planning an MDC troll-fest. MDC generates a lot of blind hatred from its critics, and parents who practice one or more facets of natural family living unfortunately attract their share of bigots and Mommy warriors....just as non-NFL parents also find themselves at the butt end of peoples' judgments. Nothing new there.

I guess that my attitude is not to worry. shrug.gif. If somebody comes on here posting some of the proposed ridiculousness, (e.g. going into hyperbolic, gory detail about "someone they knew" with a vaccine-avoidable disease), I'd treat the post the same way that I would whether the offender was a trollish pharma mouthpiece or an MDC Senior Member with. 5-year posting history. This may mean challenging, reporting, laughing at, or ignoring the post. But I'd do any of that regardless of who the poster is. And I'm confident that by the time a mom is putting research into her vaccine decisions (an action that, I'm convinced, puts us all in the minority!), she's smart enough to look to much more reliable sources to help with that choice than bitter, anonymous Internet commenters who clearly have a spiteful axe to grind..

Anyway, I had to get my say in before the padlock...

Good night and namaste.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#75 of 76 Old 05-21-2012, 04:27 AM

Ack... y'all have a tendency of having all this fun on the weekends when I'm not around! nono02.gif

I'm locking this temporarily so that I can get caught up, and then we'll chat. Thanks for your patience...
purslaine likes this.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#76 of 76 Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 AM

All caught up... Thanks for your patience!

If this thread was intended to provide useful information, it's clear that its primary effect has been to offend and doesn't need to come back. I'm leaving it locked.

My job, as your moderator, is to keep things running smoothly; and I take responsibility for the recent rash of negative interactions. Members from all sides of the vax issue have been dutifully reporting inappropriate content via reports and PMs, and I think all sides are feeling pretty frustrated with how things are going.

I have sought input from the admins and other mods on how best to handle this, and I'd like to include you all in the discussion on how to find a balance again. I will be starting a new thread in Vax to seek your input; just give me a few hours to chat with admins about one question I have and then I'll be back. smile.gif

Again... thanks for bearing with me!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page