Vaccination Forum Guidelines Reminder and Discussion - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

You can totally start a debate thread, if everyone can stick to the debate rules and not start - how did you put it? being buttholes to each other? orngtongue.gif- in the vaccination forum.  If you want to foster discourse between vexers and non-vaxers, then by all means start that thread.  If you want to post information about vax schedules in other countries, start that thread!!!   I'm down with all of that. 

I'm sorry that any of this sticks in folks craw, but seriously, give it a shot. 

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#302 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

Typically, vaxers can post on non vax threads, as long as they aren't promoting vaccines. Even that can get pretty hairy.
Honestly, Kathymuggle, while in general I would have no problem with anyone who dropped in to share something like the Canadian vax schedule, your participation in the vaxing moms thread has been pretty unsympathetic to the target audience. I respect whatever decision you make about posting the schedule. Maybe, given your issues with wording and thread placement, it might actually be friendliest to give the thread a break.

I did have some sincere questions about thread placement initially, but in hindsight realised I should have made a completely separate post.  I have owned up to this publicly and in a pm to proscience (which she took with very good grace - yeah proscience!)  That is all I can do. 

I have no need to post on that thread at this point in time.  I do not have a burning need to post that is unfulfilled. I also hear you that it might be friendliest if I stay off.

I question whether all non-vaxxers (even ones who have not said a single inflammatory thing on the thread) should be banned from posting on the "Thoughtful thread," which is what is being said at the moment.

#303 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Sticks in their craw!!!

It should be something like first side to sling an insult or make a dismissive statement is the loser.  I'd give it one page and it could go either side. 

#304 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Okay. I think this horse is about as dead as we can make it.

I have explained this six ways from Sunday and I don't know what else to say.

I think, kathymuggle, that if you continue to have questions about my rationale, or my reasoning of what  is going on, that you should probably take it up with me.  My intent was not to make you stop posting everywhere, forever, and I'm sorry you feel the need to boycott posting because of this. You are an active member of this community, and your presence and input are appreciated.

I am also not sure why this one thread is so important that it be open to everyone, when they haven't even had a chance to have a conversation without an influx of people who disagree with them. As you said 1/4 of the whole thread is by folks who don't vax - on a thread that is directed at mamas who *do* vax. If there a 1/4 of a threads postings on a thread directed toward mamas who don't vax had been made by mamas who do vax - in the main vax forum - there would be anger and reports and all sorts of craziness. 

My *exact* wording on the thread was this:  

Quote:
 I am asking those who identify as non-vaxers to step back and allow our thoughtful vaccinating mamas to have a discussion without non-vaccinating input from non-vaxers.

At no point did I say, "all you non vaxing mamas, you are banned from posting here."  I requested that everyone step back and allow them to have a conversation.  At no point did I say this was permanent, forever and irreversible.  In fact, I have said the exact opposite.  

And yeah, if folks want to still continue to post there in an inflammatory way because they want their say, I am happy to delete posts and ultimately ban them from the thread for real.  We can totally play it that way.  I was hoping to avoid that though, and just appeal to folks idea of mutual respect. 

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#305 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Sticks in their craw!!!

It should be something like first side to sling an insult or make a dismissive statement is the loser.  I'd give it one page and it could go either side. 

That would make some short threads. 

Hey, if you want to start a debate thread, I personally will mod that.  Maybe being able to throw links and research at each other will help ease some tension.  You sling an insult, you get booted out of the thread.  You discuss another poster, you get booted.  We could see who is left standing at the end.  LOL

amnesiac likes this.

#306 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

That would make some short threads. 

Hey, if you want to start a debate thread, I personally will mod that.  Maybe being able to throw links and research at each other will help ease some tension.  You sling an insult, you get booted out of the thread.  You discuss another poster, you get booted.  We could see who is left standing at the end.  LOL

Like survivor!  We could play with torches and eat organic bugs...  (OK, I am out - unless they are in tequilla)

#307 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Administrator

LOL We used to have "parties" in N&CE/Politics when things got too heated.  Everyone would chat, and there would be much discussion of virtual drinks.  People would pull out the political humor and everyone would have a good laugh.  

So, you know - Survivor on the vax forum might not be that far off from that. LOL

#308 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

Okay. I think this horse is about as dead as we can make it.

I agree.  We are good, AdinaL, as far as I am concerned.

My intent was not to make you stop posting everywhere, forever, and I'm sorry you feel the need to boycott posting because of this.

I don't think I said that .  I don't think I could boycott posting without an intervention- I am far too addicted to MDC.

You are an active member of this community, and your presence and input are appreciated.

Thanks.

I am also not sure why this one thread is so important that it be open to everyone, when they haven't even had a chance to have a conversation without an influx of people who disagree with them.

We just disagree.  I think threads should be open to all, and modded for guideline, nastiness and hijacking, as per norm.   You think, in this instance, that this thread should be closed to non-vaxxers.  I can accept your decision and move on (so no one take this as a challenge and challenge me because I am horrible at walking away from questions!  I have to learn to work on that.....)

Have a good one,

Kathy

#309 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Like survivor!  We could play with torches and eat organic bugs...  (OK, I am out - unless they are in tequilla)

Kathy, FYI, I am making a major personal effort to reduce the extent to which my consumption of goods and services involves the exploitation of slave labor. I can only participate in a last-man-standing outlast competition against my peers if those are fair trade bugs, torches, and tequila PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL OF THIS.
purslaine likes this.
#310 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Kathy, FYI, I am making a major personal effort to reduce the extent to which my consumption of goods and services involves the exploitation of slave labor. I can only participate in a last-man-standing outlast competition against my peers if those are fair trade bugs, torches, and tequila PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL OF THIS.

*snort*

#311 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Kathy - sorry I misread what you posted as saying you wouldn't post at all unless the "ban" was lifted. My mistake.

So, seriously, who's up for  debate thread?  I will start it and post rules if you all want to give it a shot...

#312 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 PM

I'm down!
#313 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

It's finals week, sl I'll be quieter than usual, but I'm in.
#314 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 PM

I will end all threads in a dance off.  Because they make me happy.  I'm not up for one tonight but if you all start it I can be down by tomorrow and over the weekend.  Cheese and tequila if we could debate this without getting all meanie mcmeanie pants that would be awesome!

#315 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 PM

But can we pick something specific?
#316 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 05:30 PM

Sure we should.  We have a lot on here to pick from and I think the goal would be to come to an understanding of both sides.  With a massive amount of respect.  Is that too much to ask?  Rachel you pick a topic first.  We can start it tomorrow.  Or you can start it tonight whatever.  But we need some rules. 

1. No name calling

2. No dismissive comments

3. No derailing

4. Feed me cheese cake

5. You can't post a link without a comment

Add more if you think of them

#317 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 05:31 PM

Going outside to play in the water with my little one.

#318 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Sure we should.  We have a lot on here to pick from and I think the goal would be to come to an understanding of both sides.  With a massive amount of respect.  Is that too much to ask?  Rachel you pick a topic first.  We can start it tomorrow.  Or you can start it tonight whatever.  But we need some rules. 

1. No name calling
2. No dismissive comments
3. No derailing
4. Feed me cheese cake
5. You can't post a link without a comment

Add more if you think of them

No posting multiple replies in a row. Speak your piece, then listen to what other people have to say and respond to them.
#319 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:

No posting multiple replies in a row. Speak your piece, then listen to what other people have to say and respond to them.

Yes, I totally agree seeing what has been going on here lately by a new member who I shall not name in fear of getting another "warning".  And on that vein, no quoting yourself and then replying to yourself!  (Same issue with the same member, LOL.)

WildKingdom and thegoodearth like this.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#320 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Okay - so in my thinking about it - here's what I have so far:

In participating in this thread, you get one shot.  First time you break the rules, you are out of the debate. (I can remove people from threads, but then they can't see them either  - so we can decide if that is the way to go or if we want to honor system it. I can re-add them when the debate is through so they can read the outcome.)

*No insults or name calling.  This includes commenting on the person's level of education/informedness/knowledge.  

*You are expected to provide links to things that back up your argument.  We're not going on gut feelings here, but on actual research. 

*People are free to question your resources. 

*You may question a resource, but you may not dismiss it. i.e. "I would like to see if anyone else has reached that same conclusion, do you have any other sources, or a direct link to the study?" is fine.  "That doctor is a quack.  Give me something else." is not.  Our purpose is to encourage people to look critically at things.

*The discussion is on the argument being put forth, or on the resources people link to - not about the person presenting it. In other words, you are free to question why someone believes that, what the study points to that tells them that, but you cannot say it is because someone lives someplace specific, or is a certain religion, or because that person is too young. 

*Generalizing about populations of people is discouraged. Keep the arguments specific - no "everyone knows that x group does this" or "well those people do this because of that"

*You may not post links to whale.to, you may also not post links to your own website. 

*You may not requote yourself to make a point.  If someone asks for more information, they want more information, not the same information in bigger font.

*Participate in the conversation, not to drown out everyone who disagrees with you. (i.e. no repeated posting or overwhelming the thread with information)

*Do not report posts in this thread!  We don't want to kill the mod. This is AdinaL's thing, and she will be monitoring the thread for infractions. If you see something you want reviewed, PM her. 

*Posts that break the rules will be deleted from the thread. 

*Overall, think carefully about what you post. This is not an off the cuff posting spree, but a carefully thought out debate.

How's that? Anything I missed? Aside from feeding lmacerka cheesecake?

My end goal here is to have a great set of links - for both sides of the debate - that have been read critically.  It would be lovely if this builds a resource for our research forum.

amnesiac likes this.

#321 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Sounds good.  I'm bummed I can't take part.  Leaving on a 3 week vacation in a few days!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#322 of 333 Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Hey, if it works, we will do more than one.  :) Lots of topics.

#323 of 333 Old 06-14-2012, 04:20 AM

Wheres Rachel?  She needs to pick a topic!!!!  Or anyone else can just throw it up here and we can get the ball rolling by this afternoon.  I'm at work all day!  Which means... I have nothing else to do.  thumbsup.gif

#324 of 333 Old 06-14-2012, 04:48 AM

I was in bed!! Somebody else pick the topic.
#325 of 333 Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 AM

Alright I'll look around gimme a bit.  I need to do something real quick (work wise) then I'll be back.

#326 of 333 Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Okay, Let me know when you have a topic and I will post the thread. :) 

#327 of 333 Old 06-14-2012, 10:42 AM

How about whether unvaccinated children are generally healthier than vaccinated children
#328 of 333 Old 06-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Administrator

So, the assertion would be:  Unvaccinated children are healthier than fully vaccinated children.    And then the debate would go back and forth on proving/disproving that assertion.

Sounds good to me.

#329 of 333 Old 06-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Banned

I like it.  Let's do it.

#330 of 333 Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page