Vaccination Forum Guidelines Reminder and Discussion - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lots of people post on more than one board Stuff posted in MDC has wound up in a lot of places online, because MDC is a public board and posts are google-able. So yes, people should know that their posts will be seen and read by others and may be used in ways they don't like. Last year, a group of doctors online copied/pasted a description of someone's birth loss for a discussion that was painful to the op. I can't think of a specific case, but I know posts have been used to contact CPS and in contentious divorce cases. MDC has been quoted on various health and science blogs.

I don't think it's helpful to abandon that longstanding principal of the UA to discuss any particular board, but I will leave the call to Mosaic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 05:04 AM

I don't post on more than one board. This one takes up way to much of my time as is.

I realize everything we write here is viewable and searchable... but in so far as "toxic environment" on this board... knowing that people posting and discussing things with you here are mocking you regularly behind your back, well that doesn't exactly foster much respect. 

I'm very glad someone told me about it. I haven't gone there because I'm sure I'd blow a gasket for real.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

My job is to foster discussion, not limit it or shut it down. And I know that most of you appreciate the lighter moderation compared to the olden days.

That said...

Just because you can talk about other boards, conspiracy theories, sock puppets, shills, and whatnot doesn't mean that doing so will create the environment we want. Using words or phrases that are offensive to others will only undermine what you're really trying to say, so what would be the point?

I am not advocating that we bite our tongues 100% of the time to create land of rainbows and bubble gum, but it does help to remember the audience here. Other message boards may debate vaccines because they love the science, the debate, the challenge. We are here because we love our kids.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

Lots of people post on more than one board 

Sure, me too.

But there is a difference between:

person xyz also goes to a gardenning forum

and 

person xyz posts here, seemingly in earnest, but then takes discussions, cuts and pastes them, sticks them in a thread on another board, and mocks them.

That will be the last I say on the matter at this moment (unless someone brings it up further), as my point is made, but I did not really feel like letting the "lots of people post on more than one board" (as if that is somehow relevant) lie.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Can't someone do both?  Can't they post in earnest here and then copy and paste part of a discussion to start a new one somewhere else?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 AM

To me all this talk about some people really being double agents with sinister objectives is about as bad as the pharmashills accusations. I'd take looney any day.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Can't someone do both?  Can't they post in earnest here and then copy and paste part of a discussion to start a new one somewhere else?

I don't think it can be done in good faith.  I think you can post at 2 places in good faith, but when you regularly engage in conversation in one place but still take posts from one place over to another and mock the hell out them, you cross a line.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:35 AM

Some of us belong to both boards.  I would never say anything at either place that I wouldn't say at the other.  TWWS really has left MDC behind in that way.  There was agreement that it was no longer a spin-off but it's own board.  

Sure, there may be a few c/p here and there, and kathymuggle, you are a member there too so I'm sure you know, but it's really very little to do with MDC at all.

And anyone is free to join any board.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
Old 05-23-2012, 06:35 AM

I'm not talking about mocking, I'm talking about using it to start a new discussion.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

To me all this talk about some people really being double agents with sinister objectives is about as bad as the pharmashills accusations. I'd take looney any day.

That is what I was thinking, lol.  I will take SSM "loony comment " over TWWS any day.

Here is a link, in case you are not sure what I am talking about:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1315728/the-huge-trolls-thread/760#post_16984206

Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 AM

I belong to 5-6 boards, ftr, that I regularly read and post on.  Of them, there is one that is private and by invitation or referral only.  That is the only one I would never copy and paste anything from, because there is an expectation of privacy.  For the rest, once you put something out there it's out there as part of the public domain and open to satire.  I guess I feel comfortable enough in my own skin it doesn't really bother me if someone wants to take my words and mock them, especially somewhere I'll probably never see it.  I'm sure people have called me a sheeple (and let's be honest, probably worse) plenty of times, they just maybe only did it out loud to their partner or friend vs. typing it on another discussion forum.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post

Some of us belong to both boards.  I would never say anything at either place that I wouldn't say at the other.  TWWS really has left MDC behind in that way.  There was agreement that it was no longer a spin-off but it's own board.  

Sure, there may be a few c/p here and there, and kathymuggle, you are a member there too so I'm sure you know, but it's really very little to do with MDC at all.

And anyone is free to join any board.

I was there for about 10 days about a year ago.  I went to check it out. You need to sign up to look at it.  In addition to getting my butt handed to me in a vaccine discussion <I was totally out numbered, lol> I really did not like the tone and overall cattiness.  That is ok if other people do.  

I have always thought the cutting/pasting/mocking was pretty darn vile. 

They were actively cutting, pasting and mocking threads a year ago.  They had a huge subforum on it.  I suppose it is possible they stopped doing that, but I doubt it.  I am not checking.   I am genuinely glad if they stopped doing it - it was quite hurtful and pathetic.  Even if they stopped, so what?  There are posters who participated in cut/pasting and mocked threads for years.  The backlash from that sort of crap does not go away because TWWS might have decided to stop doing it.  

Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

That is what I was thinking, lol.  I will take SSM "loony comment " over TWWS any day.

Here is a link, in case you are not sure what I am talking about:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1315728/the-huge-trolls-thread/760#post_16984206

I meant I found it pretty offensive not to mention unproductive to be casting suspicion on the authenticity of members here. A cheeky comment about looney seems pretty tame in comparison.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:

I meant I found it pretty offensive not to mention unproductive to be casting suspicion on the authenticity of members here. A cheeky comment about looney seems pretty tame in comparison.

Then maybe they should act above suspicion and not take things people say to another forum and mock them, and the posters?

Perhaps they should not have been doing this for years?

Oh, and I never said they were not authentic members here…I said they were not posting in good faith.

I stand by it - it is incompatible to engage in conversation with someone here and then regularly go to another forum, cut and paste the thread, and have a grand old time mocking the hell out of it - and then claim you are posting in good faith.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 AM

For pete's sake! How is this appropriate for this thread or this forum?  Maybe make another TWWS thread in TAO or something to get it off your chest.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Then maybe they should act above suspicion and not take things people say to another forum and mock them, and the posters.

Perhaps they should not have been doing this for years.

Perhaps you shouldn't take it so personally? They are internet posters, they call themselves trolls - who cares what they think? FWIW I am a member over there (so far just lurking), and the MDC Therapy forum has been taken down. So has the "Around the Internet" forum or whatever it was called.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:06 AM

Cheeky comment about looney doesn't even start to amount to the things said in the last few weeks... "selfish," "anti-intellectual," "intolerable," "conspiracy theorists," not understanding science, etc. it adds up, and is not being taken down or apologized for, (nevermind the actual "child abuser" troll posts that DO get removed). And it's great to know that possibly people are copying and pasting things on a site created with the primary purpose of mocking MDC. Awesome. What a great, safe, respectful community we have here.

...yeah I realize people are upset about "shill" accusations on the other side of this.

Quite frankly, I don't see how it is possible to improve the environment here, other than leaving out name calling and the implications. 

Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 AM

nm….

Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

Cheeky comment about looney doesn't even start to amount to the things said in the last few weeks.

I'm talking about things that were said right here on this thread because I find it ironic that someone could get so freaked about about the looney crack and then think it's acceptable to start talking about people being double agents on a thread about trying to make this forum more civil.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Quite frankly, I don't see how it is possible to improve the environment here, other than leaving out name calling and the implications. 

Honestly?  I think the mods should step in and be hyper vigilant for awhile.

I think we (general we) have proven we cannot speak respectfully to each other at this moment in time.  

Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 AM

So, what is exactly the deal here?

Acceptable: 

calling non-vaxers - selfish, conspiracy theorists, crazy, anti-intellectual, not understanding science, intolerable, incredulous...

Not Acceptable:

calling pro-vaxers shills and pointing out that *if* they are posting on TWWS and *if* people knew about it, it wouldn't foster good feelings here?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly?  I think the mods should step in and be hyper vigilant for awhile.

I think we (general we) have proven we cannot speak respectfully to each other at this moment in time.  

I think the forum should be removed entirely. It goes for both sides of the vax issue.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:19 AM

which forum? whole vax forum or the researching vax subforum?

I doubt MDC would do that, this forum is getting a lot of action.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:

So, what is exactly the deal here?

Acceptable: 

calling non-vaxers - selfish, conspiracy theorists, crazy, anti-intellectual, not understanding science, intolerable, incredulous...

Not Acceptable:

calling pro-vaxers shills and pointing out that *if* they are posting on TWWS and *if* people knew about it, it wouldn't foster good feelings here?

I think all of that should fall under the unacceptable category? Not sure why you think any of thats acceptable.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:

which forum? whole vax forum or the researching vax subforum?

I doubt MDC would do that, this forum is getting a lot of action.

The whole thing. Vaccines, Researching..., I'm Not Vaxing, Sel/Del

You're right that they won't - its the only forum that actually engages anyone.

I haven't heard anyone here called any of those things.  I've heard people use some of those terms about not vaccinating in the abstract.  At least one of them was posted by a real actual troll, not someone who was actually participating in the conversation so I'm not sure that should really even count.  Part of the problem is people taking things way too personally.

I agree name calling and implications are uncalled for and destructive, but I don't see what's wrong with someone expressing their opinion that not vaccinating is selfish.  I wouldn't be offended if someone said vaccinating was reckless.  

Old 05-23-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

I think all of that should fall under the unacceptable category? Not sure why you think any of thats acceptable.

because it happens ALL of the time, with NO reprecussion. 

Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I haven't heard anyone here called any of those things.  I've heard people use some of those terms about not vaccinating in the abstract.  At least one of them was posted by a real actual troll, not someone who was actually participating in the conversation so I'm not sure that should really even count.  Part of the problem is people taking things way too personally.

I agree name calling and implications are uncalled for and destructive, but I don't see what's wrong with someone expressing their opinion that not vaccinating is selfish.  I wouldn't be offended if someone said vaccinating was reckless.  

are you joking? Do I have to post examples?

Old 05-23-2012, 07:28 AM

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List