Vaccination Forum Guidelines Reminder and Discussion - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, we have to get past the conversation of whose been worse to who and just move forward.
#122 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

I'm reading along, per Mosaic's request. :)  

A couple of things: name calling is not okay, no matter what.  If you have to resort to calling someone something other than their name, you have lost the "argument".  Everyone here is an adult, you all know what name calling is, don't do it. Re-read your posts and EDIT if you see it.  That will save Mosaic, me and anyone else who is helping in here a lot of work and time and allow us to deal with actual issues.

Second, discussing other members negatively is against the UA. Period. Again - if you self check your posts and make sure you are NOT discussing another member of MDC negatively, you will save mod time.

I know we don't all get along, and we most certainly don't all agree (ask me about Politics in 2008...lol.gif) but the mods really do try to be as even handed as possible. They cannot read all threads, they cannot read all posts.  On a normal, busy day in a hot forum they will get accused of bias from both sides. They are most certainly no out to get you - that implies a level of malice and time that they cannot possibly have in their limited *volunteer* modding time. 

Mosaic and I have been discussing the Newbie forum, and how to point it in the right direction and keep it civil.  It would go a long way if you all could help us with that.  Mods only have so many tools with which to enforce the peace (editing, removing, banning) and we don't like to use them until we have to. You, as members, have infinitely more ability to keep things civil and educational.

Turquesa likes this.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#123 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't think the Starting Research forum should remain. I have seen many new posters (who appear new to vax issue research) post in non, sel, or main vax forums, not the Starting Research Forum, asking questions about starting research

My standard line is Dr. Sears book, or start researching vpd/vax one by one in order that most concern/interest. Most people, when being even handed also say CDC pink book. I don't know why that needs a whole forum.

Yesterday several posters asked for help understanding the different tetanus vax options... but in the sel/del vaxed forum...

Most of the posts currently in the Starting Research forum would be better off in the Main Forum. The "Main" forum seems to have migrated to the Research forum.

Feelings of posters trying to "indoctrinate" newbies to their views, be it Offit seminars or Mercola, Natural News sites creates way too much tension, as clearly my post pushed Stik over the limit... I have felt the same to some other things posted there.

Another Mod to help out may not hurt...?

edited for clarity

#124 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM

But what will another mod do? If people can't cool it and stay on point then all the threads will be messes, over-moderated, disjointed, or *poof* and nobody's gained anything except possibly a temporary good time arguing. We could have 300 moderators in here hovering over every post but is that what everybody really wants?

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#125 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 11:50 AM

I like the research forum.  I think it's a good place to post resources (like the vaccinations seminar someone posted) that people who are doing research would like to see.  There are a lot more resources out there than the sears book and the pink book.  Some of the IOM stuff is a good example, or when a news article comes along about a new study or project.  

Posts don't have to become contentious in that forum, even if there is disagreement.  Just post a source that you think refutes the information and leave it at that.  If you want to debate it, start a thread in the main vaccination forum and people can talk about it there.

I think it can be a useful forum.

prosciencemum likes this.
#126 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

No worries about how many mods there are specifically assigned to a forum.  When I open up the reports, and I see a lot of reports in one forum, often in one thread, I take notice.  I think all the mods do.  We have been talking about it, which is where this thread is coming from.  With the new forum and more open guidlines, the majority of what we are looking at is tone, personal attacks, and a repectful attitude.  That's all we are asking, and like Adina says, we only have so much time!  If you would all like to pitch in and pay us, I'm sure we'd all be more than willing to spend some more time here.  lol.gif winky.gif

#127 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 AM

I suggested mod because as far as I understood it... we were overwhelming the one assigned here... particularly on Monday mornings smile.gif

#128 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

I don't think the Starting Research forum should remain. I have seen many new posters (who appear new to vax issue research) post in non, sel, or main vax forums, not the Starting Research Forum, asking questions about starting research

My standard line is Dr. Sears book, or start researching vpd/vax one by one in order that most concern/interest. Most people, when being even handed also say CDC pink book. I don't know why that needs a whole forum.

Yesterday several posters asked for help understanding the different tetanus vax options... but in the sel/del vaxed forum...

Most of the posts currently in the Starting Research forum would be better off in the Main Forum. The "Main" forum seems to have migrated to the Research forum.

Feelings of posters trying to "indoctrinate" newbies to their views, be it Offit seminars or Mercola, Natural News sites creates way too much tension, as clearly my post pushed Stik over the limit... I have felt the same to some other things posted there.

I agree. It really doesn't seem to be a place where people looking into the issue are asking questions but rather a place for bickering and posturing (not pointing the finger at any particular side). Questions seem to be asked in the other forums.

Turquesa and thegoodearth like this.
#129 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

For the record, the newbie vax forum was Peggy's idea and she wants to see it stay. And I think that we can agree that the vax forum is intimidating to those who are just getting started, especially for someone who doesn't know the guidelines of the different areas.

We're trying to figure out guidelines that will make it welcoming and active. There are LOTS of threads on how we made our decisions, resources we've found helpful, links to articles, etc. Maybe we can keep posting new articles or latest developments, but include a summary of the article in layman's terms? Maybe an intro as to what to look at: risk rates, incidents, ingredients, etc.?

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#130 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 PM

And eliminating the research forum ties in with the idea of eliminating some subforums that was proposed on the I miss MDC thread. winky.gif

#131 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Yeah, we have to get past the conversation of whose been worse to who and just move forward.

I can agree to this.

A few things to get off my chest.  I disagree with the following:

"we should be able to call a conspiracy theory a conspiracy theory, and one who follows it a conspiracy theorist"

"we should be able to say most people do not understand science"

"we should be able to say most vaxxers have not studied the issue"  (and in particular use the word "sheeple")

Even if you think those statements are true in general, people should think twice about posting it.

1.  they are often not true on MDC, or whomever you are discussing an issue with. 

2.  They are inflammatory.  No good comes from the above statements in a discussion.

Implying things is also a load of dung.  I cannot recall the number of times someone has come on and said "I believe in science.  I vaccinate"   It very much implies the other side does not beleive in science, which is why they do not vaccinate.  An example from the other side would be "  I believe in good health.  I do not vaccinate".  Uhh - I am pretty sure pro-vaxxers believe in good health as well, they are just taking another route to it.    Particularly given the climate at the moment, I think we need to be careful with words that imply the other side is stupid, sheeple, non-scientific, etc.  

BeckyBird and thegoodearth like this.
#132 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

A few things to get off my chest.  I do not think we should say:

"we should be able to call a conspiracy theory a conspiracy theory, and one who follows it a conspiracy theorist"

"we should be able to say most people do not understand science"

Then I do not think we should say "big pharma creates vaccines to make people sick in order to be able to sell people drugs the rest of their lives" or the like because that is inflammatory and will not be able to be responded to without tiptoeing.

#133 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

Then I do not think we should say "big pharma creates vaccines to make people sick in order to be able to sell people drugs the rest of their lives."

Fine by me.

Personally, I do think they should be able to say that on the non-vaxxing forum, and that pro-vaxxers should be able to say things like "only conspiracy theorists think the government and Big Pharma are in it together"  on a pro-vax forum. That would be my solution, it might lead to more chaos or it might help, I don't know.  Either way it is moot - I do not think MDC wants a pro-vax subforum.  Given this, I agree, we should all be careful with our words.  

#134 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Quote:

Then I do not think we should say "big pharma creates vaccines to make people sick in order to be able to sell people drugs the rest of their lives."

Fine by me.

Personally, I do think they should be able to say that on the non-vaxxing forum, and that pro-vaxxers should be able to say things like "only conspiracy theorists think the government and Big Pharma are in it together"  on a pro-vax forum. That would be my solution, it might lead to more chaos or it might help, I don't know.  Either way it is moot - I do not think MDC wants a pro-vax subforum.  Given this, I agree, we should all be careful with our words.  

Nope, MDC does not want a pro-vax board. MDC is pro-NFL which according to Peggy does not include vaxing. This is very much an anti-vax board - no matter which sub-forum you're in.

#135 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Nope, MDC does not want a pro-vax board. MDC is pro-NFL which according to Peggy does not include vaxing. This is very much an anti-vax board - no matter which sub-forum you're in.
SSM, re-read the OP or ANY of the Vax guidelines, where it is clearly stated that MDC is not anti-vax.

#136 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM

Ok I was starting to feel less cranky, but then I did go to TWWS and now I see exactly how you guys feel about me and what I post... it's so nice and fun you have such a place to discuss certain posters/threads here.

I wish I knew how to start an internet forum... I would call it trolls with aluminum spoons... so you know, I could have a nice place with all my "friends" to discuss people I don't agree with, with all the people that agree with me. 

#137 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

SSM, re-read the OP or ANY of the Vax guidelines, where it is clearly stated that MDC is not anti-vax.

Then why no, "I'm vaxing on Sched!" forum? It may be clearly stated in the forum guidelines or whatever, but the general feel is that it is very anti, and seems like the non-vaxers get away with alot (Taxi for example - I've only seen a few of her outright accusations of people being trolls taken down)

laohaire and erigeron like this.
#138 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Ok I was starting to feel less cranky, but then I did go to TWWS and now I see exactly how you guys feel about me and what I post... it's so nice and fun you have such a place to discuss certain posters/threads here.

Who's "you guys?"

#139 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Your feelings are valid, but that doesn't change the stated goals of the forum. All parents are welcome to post on the vax forums, and all members are welcome to use the report button.

#140 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:15 PM

well I've seen at least 4 that are around here some/all of the time, and they admit what post on mdc is theirs... so... thumbsup.gif

#141 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Haven't I already mentioned several times that this thread isn't about other boards? That conversation is more than welcome to take place, just somewhere else.

#142 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:

well I've seen at least 4 that are around here some/all of the time, and they admit what post on mdc is theirs... so... thumbsup.gif

Of course there are people there from MDC. That was what people were mad about.  But when you say "you guys" on a thread you are implying something else. 

#143 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Of course there are people there from MDC. That was what people were mad about.  But when you say "you guys" on a thread you are implying something else. 

I'm implying people involved in this discussion.

Sorry Mosaic, I will stop. 

Doubt I will ever view the environment here as anything close to "good"

#144 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:23 PM

What you're doing here isn't really helping.

#145 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:28 PM

yeah I guess it's better to be naive... Kathymuggle is right, I think people who post here should know.

#146 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 PM

I think everyone knows already. It's been beaten to death.  And there are other places to complain about it like the gigantic thread Kathy already linked.  Continuing to carry on about it and trying to out people isn't helping here.  But maybe that's your point?  It's too far gone so why bother? You've mentioned several times how you will never feel okay here.

#147 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 PM

nm

#148 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:

I thought this thread about about being civil and how to end the ill-will that is present here.

Me too.

#149 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I didn't know either. This is the only parenting forum I visit. Actually, it's the only forum I regularly visit at all. I don't even know what this other forum is.

Imagine someone came to MDC and argued on the Nursing Beyond Infancy forum. This person claimed that nursing a toddler/young child is psychologically harmful, completely irresponsible, and borderline sexual molestation. We all know how the western world views nursing beyond infancy, so this example is possible.

Imagine this person cut and paste the nursing arguments on another board, and made fun of the nursing mothers. That is hurtful, right? This is how many of us nonvaxxers/vaccine questioners feel about the issue. You don't like to be called trolls, and we don't like to be quoted and mocked behind our backs. It's a form of internet bullying, and it goes both ways.

There is nothing we can do about it, but it's nice to know what's going on. I'm glad to know that this is happening, but I'm not going to change my posts in any way (well, I'll try to get along and be nicer to the provax crowd). I definitely will not visit this other forum though, because I know it will upset me.

(By the way, this is why I don't post personal info on the Sex Talk forum!)

purslaine likes this.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#150 of 333 Old 05-23-2012, 02:15 PM

No, I don't think that's hurtful. I think that's a normal part of the Internet and participating in the public domain. Could we please take this to tao? Want me to start the thread?

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page