Sources on vaccination - a thread for sharing and evaluating resources - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After a great deal of contentious discussion regarding how to make this forum actually useful to its intended audience, I proposed a thread in which people provide some basic information about informational resources on vaccines.  People from opposing camps in this debate hit "like," so here it is. 

Important things to remember:

- We don't all like the same sources.

- Restrict your comments to the sources.  Commenting about other posters will not help people find the information they need to make their decisions about vaccination.

- There will be disagreements about sources, but to keep the thread constructive, these should be voiced as concerns about the source. 

So:

"How can you say that Offit is trustworthy?  Everyone knows that he is a profiteering ego-maniac who rolls in piles of money while fantasizing about injecting innocent children with pig DNA!" - Not going to be useful.  Maybe mods could agree to remove?

Alternately:

"I feel that Offit's conflicts of interest (he served on ACIP while the vaccine he invented was being approved), and his lack of response to concerns that Rotateq was contaminated with pig DNA demonstrate that he is primarily motivated by his own financial concerns." - Useful.  The concerns are clearly explained.  Plus, you can't really argue with "I feel . . ."  People feel how they feel.  Posters can respectfully disagree by posting their own feelings and the reasons for them. 

Kelly1101 likes this.
#2 of 18 Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

To quickly get things rolling, I'm posting one of my own faves:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/

The CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report presents short articles on public health issues and diseases of note, but the real fun is in the weekly Notifiable Diseases and Mortality Tables (go to the table of contents on the issue for the week of your choice - it's usually the last item listed, and will open in a .pdf).  The CDC is a government agency that tracks diseases and public health issues in the US, and makes recommendations for policy and medical practice.  It also carries out research on diseases in its labs and probably does some other stuff - it's ten and I still have to shower, so I'm not looking up a complete description of the CDC's mission right this second.

If you're wondering how many cases of measles have been reported in the US in the last four years, or just want to assure yourself that 2009 really was a banner year for Plague in the US, this baby's for you!  In some cases, the Mortality and Data Tables also list states that have reported new cases in the last week, so you can track disease outbreaks as they spread across the country.  MMWR sometimes publishes articles on vaccination - the CDC is generally in favor of the current US vaccine schedule. 

Articles tend to be dry in tone, but are sometimes kind of dramatic anyway.  MMWR fans will recall the rip-roaring thrill ride of their 2002 article on anthrax - involving a drummer, some black market goat hides, and the FBI.  (The CDC recommends that you not buy goat hides from a guy you meet on a street corner in NYC.)

I trust the CDC because they are a government agency dedicated to science, which I feel gives them a little bit of a buffer from the profit motive that sometimes corrupts businesses that carry out scientific research.  They are the only agency in the US that tracks disease outbreaks.  MMWR presents the data they have - sometimes issues at the state and county level mean that information can be missing for a period of time (or forever). 

AbbyGrant likes this.
#3 of 18 Old 05-25-2012, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

I like the idea of this. 

Personally I would recommend the World Health Organization pages on vaccination

http://www.who.int/immunization/en/

Lots of great statistics there (I love statistics!), and again a not for profit organization with I assume representation from many countries I feel should be trusted to be trying to do the best for the health of the world. :)

They are the people most of us trust on breast feeding recommendations for example.  

They also have a page on how to asses the reliability of other sites online which I think is helpful. 

http://www.who.int/immunization_safety/safety_quality/vaccine_safety_websites/en/index.html

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 18 Old 05-25-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

Articles tend to be dry in tone, but are sometimes kind of dramatic anyway.  MMWR fans will recall the rip-roaring thrill ride of their 2002 article on anthrax - involving a drummer, some black market goat hides, and the FBI.  (The CDC recommends that you not buy goat hides from a guy you meet on a street corner in NYC.)

Stik, you crack me up!

#5 of 18 Old 05-25-2012, 06:52 AM

The CDC Pink book is useful for information and statistics on vaccine, disease, reactions, etc:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/index.html

It has a limitation common to all resources - it is difficult to get accurate statistics on vaccine reactions and disease prevalence.  Under-reporting of both diseases and vaccines reactions occurs for many reasons- but how much is up for debate, and depends on disease and reaction.

None-the-less, IMHO, the pink books offers solid baseline stats for anyone exploring the issue.

As stated upthread, CDC is a government agency.  

#6 of 18 Old 05-25-2012, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Science Friday (the NPR show) had Offit on back in 2011.  I think the transcript is really helpful, people called in with questions and they talked about a lot of the common concerns and issues.  I think it's a great place to get started because it gives you an idea what people are concerned about and also succinct and clear discussion of them.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/07/132740175/paul-offit-on-the-anti-vaccine-movement

#7 of 18 Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 AM

I have enjoyed all these links greatly EXCEPT the Offit transcript. It was probably as far from evidence based as it could be. It is extremely biased and frankly a little offensive (which many things Offit are.). I'd say it should be removed from this thread just like I would if someone posted a blatant anti vaccine link.

The link to the MMWR was great. Thanks Stik. Are there no updates since 2009?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#8 of 18 Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

For the purposes of this thread, I don't think it matters if a link is blatantly in favor of one side or another.  If you don't like it, explain what aspects of the source make you not like it. 

There is a new issue of MMWR every week.  They are archived on the site.  You have to do a little hunting to find them. 

#9 of 18 Old 05-25-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry you didn't like the science Friday transcript. I thought it provided an interesting perspective.
#10 of 18 Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 AM

i enjoy cruising the CDC stats.  I find them very interesting.  usually it's on food and illness for me, but this was fun too!  thanks!

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#11 of 18 Old 05-27-2012, 08:08 AM

I like this site:

http://www.nvic.org/

Who is it for?

-  Non vaxxers and selective delayed:  it offers a fair bit of information on laws pertaining to those who choose not to vaccinate - including school exemptions by state

-those critical of vaccines. It offers numerous critiques of vaccines, all fully referenced.  

It is a non-profit.

#12 of 18 Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks Kathy! What does NVIC stand for? Who writes the critiques?
#13 of 18 Old 05-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

Thanks Kathy! What does NVIC stand for? Who writes the critiques?

National Vaccine Information Centre

Here is a link for "about us"  - it will give info as to who is on its board:

http://www.nvic.org/about.aspx

Individual information pages do not list the authors - however, they are well cited.  Here is an example on Hep A:

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/Hepatitis-A.aspx

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will note that all the sources of info are from well accepted sources, such as CDC.  

In the interest of full disclosure, the co-founder of the organisation did have a child who she believes suffered a severe vaccine reaction.  I do not find that so odd - people often start foundations when their child or loved one has an issue.  Here is a bio:

http://www.nvic.org/about/barbaraloefisher.aspx

#14 of 18 Old 05-30-2012, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)

Looks useful - from the Australian Government: A Quick Guide comparing the risks of side effects of various vaccines compared to the risks of the disease they are trying to protect from. 

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/Handbook-quickguides-sideeffects

Although I will say I don't know how complete it is, and they also don't (on this page) list the references for the statistics they quote. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#15 of 18 Old 05-30-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Looks useful - from the Australian Government: A Quick Guide comparing the risks of side effects of various vaccines compared to the risks of the disease they are trying to protect from. 

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/Handbook-quickguides-sideeffects

Although I will say I don't know how complete it is, and they also don't (on this page) list the references for the statistics they quote. 

That is a handy chart.  I would add a chart showing the likelihood of catching a disease to the above.

Here is one, go to page ix  (it is near the beginning)

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/CA25774C001857CACA2577FF00791B8A/$File/cdi34suppl.pdf

#16 of 18 Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

That is a handy chart.  I would add a chart showing the likelihood of catching a disease to the above.

Here is one, go to page ix  (it is near the beginning)

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/CA25774C001857CACA2577FF00791B8A/$File/cdi34suppl.pdf

I think it's important to note that those are the risks in a highly vaccinated population.

#17 of 18 Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 AM

There are some cool threads in the vax archives on evaluating resources. smile.gif
#18 of 18 Old 06-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

This is really great guys. :)  Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page