what are the cons of vaccinating? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 93 Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I posted elsewhere but now thought I'd try here. Not much response.

I wondering if we could compile a concise list of cons of vaccines. I am particularly interested in cons related to specific vaccines.

#2 of 93 Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You can start with the vaccine package inserts, paying particular attention to the "Description" section (which shows the ingredients) and the "Adverse Reactions" section.

When reading the package inserts, keep in mind that vaccines are never safety tested against real placebos. In safety studies, they are tested against other vaccines, an injection of aluminum, or everything in the vaccine except the antigen. So the package inserts will often show that the adverse reactions found in the safety studies weren't much higher compared to the "placebo."

Here are all the package inserts.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm093833.htm

#3 of 93 Old 05-30-2012, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also keep in mind that to be included on the package insert the effect just had to show up often enough, there's no attempt at determining causality from the vaccine. It's a pretty low bar to be included on there in the interest of warning you about as much as possible.

Some vaccines were tested against true placebos, like polio, but whenever a research study is done they don't test against a placebo if there is an already established treatment, they don't want to know if the new treatment is better than nothing, they want to know if it's better than what is already being used.
#4 of 93 Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 AM

I think vaccines and diseases have to be looked at individually to weigh the issues.

There is some evidence that as we vaccinate children against CP, the rate of people who had chicken pox (many teens and adults) getting shingles is growing and getting younger.  

Here is an article that explains the phenomenon:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1158655/Why-giving-children-chicken-pox-jab-YOU-shingles.html

For the vast majority of children, CP is a mild short-lived disease.  Shingles is not.  If I were queen,  I would take CP off the recommended schedule.   

There also seems to be a rise in mumps in college age students.  A google search will confirm this easily.  Perhaps the mumps portion of MMR wears off somewhat as time goes on?  In any event, mumps is almost completely benign in pre-pubescent males.  It has the possibility of affecting fertility in post pubescent males.  IMHO,  children should be allowed to catch mumps in childhood when the risks are really low, and acquire greater immunity than is offered by vaccines.  

This one is anecdotal (but only because google is failing me)  but it seems many vaccinated pregnant women get tested for rubella immunity, and their immunity is low.  Once again, if the woman had acquired rubella in childhood, she may not be as susceptible to rubella in adulthood as someone who had the vaccine.  

Mumps and rubella should be allowed to be childhood diseases - adults should vaccinate themselves if they were not lucky enough to get them in childhood.  Susceptible populations could also be vaccinated.

#5 of 93 Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

My opinion: most likely no major cons (except dealing with the crying children, and possibly some soreness at the site of vaccination).

In rare cases serious reactions occur - the statistics on how rare are debatable, and there may be some people who are more likely to be susceptible to them (allergic reactions etc). There are people who post on here with upsetting stories about the vaccine injuries their children have suffered from.

Some people claim vaccines might be increasing other chronic diseases (like autism, excema, allergies etc.). In my opinion, most studies of the long terms effect of vaccinations do not seem to see any major correlations between the incidence of these and whether or not a child was vaccinated, but most samples are small, and of course not everything has been tested for yet.  

Hope my opinion on the cons was helpful. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#6 of 93 Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

For a handy chart of common side effects of vaccines (from the Australian Government) see: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/Handbook-quickguides-sideeffects

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#7 of 93 Old 05-30-2012, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't know how "handy" that chart is. It doesn't even mention the "DTaP scream" caused by brain swelling, which I've read about tons of individual experiences online. It only says that serious reactions are "rare."

It doesn't seem so rare when you can go to any parenting site, and read questions from multiple distraught mothers who can't get their babies to stop screaming after hours and hours. Crying for more than 3 hours is listed in the package insert as a contraindication to further pertussis containing vaccines, but apparently that didn't warrant a mention in their chart.

I stopped reading there.

#8 of 93 Old 05-30-2012, 04:40 PM

Dtap screaming allegedly caused by brain swelling.
#9 of 93 Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 PM

Looking just at vaccines, not diseases, here are a list of common cons:

- vaccine reactions.  We absolutely do not have a handle on how common or rare severe vaccine reactions are.  We have baseline numbers through VAERS, CDC, vaccine inserts…but these numbers are baseline.  We know vaccine reactions are under-reported…we do not know by how much.  If you cannot get a handle on how rare vaccine reactions are, it becomes very difficult to compare risks of vaccinating versus not vaccinating.

-vaccine ingredients.  There is a laundry list of ingredients people find objectionable.  Questions often come down to "is this a safe ingredient and is it a safe amount to inject in a newborn/baby?"

-vaccine safety.  The testing of vaccines is questionable.  It is not held to the gold standard of double blind random studies (as that would be unethical).  There is a lot of conflict of interest in the testing and approval process for vaccines.  Pharmaceutical companies sit on vaccine approval boards.  

-concerns about the amount of vaccines a child receives today in the USA versus amounts used in the past, and amounts used in other countries.  

-for some people, there is an ethical concern to vaxxing.  Here is a link from NVIC (largely non-vax or sel/delayed site)  http://www.vaccine-tlc.org/human.html   that shows which vaccines have what in them, in terms of cells and DNA… http://www.vaccine-tlc.org/human.html.  I am not going to get into whether or not this is a valid concern, but I do think it squiggs some people out.  

#10 of 93 Old 05-30-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I guess a big part of what I am wondering is things that I hear whispers about like increase in food allergies etc

#11 of 93 Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfillmore View Post

I guess a big part of what I am wondering is things that I hear whispers about like increase in food allergies etc

Someone in a completely separate forum the other day mentioned peanut oil may be used in vaccines.

A google search seemed to confirm it might be used as an adjuvant in some vaccines.  I am not finding reliable links, so I am leaving this as "I don't know" for know.  I hope someone comes along with more reliable links.

It seems odd to me - people are supposed to keep their babies from ingesting peanut butter lest they develop allergies, and prone pregnant women are supposed to avoid peanut butter as well…but it is in vaccines?  

I know very little about this issue and would love to hear more. 

#12 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 05:50 AM

Peanut is not used as an adjuvant. That doesnt pass the sniff test.
#13 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 06:03 AM

You can see a list of all vaccine ingredients here.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf

Did a quick page search for "peanut" and didn't find anything.

There is no research to support the idea that vaccines cause food allergies. I don't know that there's a to of research to rule it out, tether, our understanding of what causes food allergies is developing, but right now that only rises to the level of "Internet rumor."
#14 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 AM

I could only find the "peanut oil is in vaccines and is causing an increase in allergies" theory on biased anti-vax websites with nothing to support the idea. The theory is pharmaceutical companies are using it as an adjuvant and don't have to disclose it. This seems pretty far-fetched to me.

#15 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

My understanding is that since vaccines are not a food, an adjuvant derived from peanut oil would not have to declare peanuts as an ingredient.

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/articles/PMC2130368/

"A comparison was made of the antibody response and subjective reactions to zonally-purified influenza vaccine in aqueous suspension and in peanut oil adjuvant 65-4. "  [So any vaccine listing adjuvant 65-4 would mean that specific (peanut oil) adjuvant? Is adjuvant 65-4 currently used in vaccines?]

from June, 1980 (before the rate of peanut allergy began to drastically increase):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC551041/

"Studies were conducted in mice, hamsters, sheep, and two species of nonhuman primates which demonstrate the adjuvant activity of a new metabolizable lipid emulsion with marginally immunogenic doses of Formalin-inactivated viral vaccines. The lipid base consists of highly refined peanut oil emulsified in aqueous vaccines with glycerol and lecithin....This lipid formulation has several advantages over other water-in-oil adjuvants for potential use in humans. The components are metabolizable or normal host constituents, it is easily emulsified with aqueous vaccines by gentle agitation, and it is relatively nonreactogenic in recipients."

http://www.peanutallergy.com/boards/general-discussion/main-discussion-board/peanut-allergy-and-the-role-of-vaccination

http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/allergies/vaccines-and-the-peanut-allergy-epidemic/

http://vactruth.com/2010/07/15/non-disclosed-hyper-allergenic-vaccine-adjuvant/

http://www.vaccinetruth.org/peanut_oil.htm

And vaccines in the animals we eat:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8363505 (from 1993)

Efficacy of experimental animal and vegetable oil-emulsion vaccines for Newcastle disease and avian influenza.

"An inactivated avian influenza vaccine formulated from peanut oil induced protection against morbidity and death when vaccinated chickens were challenged with a virulent isolate of avian influenza virus."

#16 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

I could only find the "peanut oil is in vaccines and is causing an increase in allergies" theory on biased anti-vax websites with nothing to support the idea. The theory is pharmaceutical companies are using it as an adjuvant and don't have to disclose it. This seems pretty far-fetched to me.

The fact that pharmaceutical companies may be using it and don't have to disclose it does not seem far fetched to me.  I believe items that are GRAS (generally regarded as safe) do not have to be listed as ingredients, but I am not positive.  We have all heard that companies, (Coca Cola) is a good example, have trade secrets.  Cleaning agents and the like do not mention all ingredients.

I agree that is hard to come to any conclusion on the vaccine/peanut oil issue when the only sites one can find on the issue are on one side of the debate.   I would like to see a bit more variety in sites before I come to any conclusions.  

BeckyBird likes this.
#17 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM

That is about the loosest use of the word "fact" I've ever heard.  Go look at the ingredients in the vaccines yourself.  They do list things that are "generally regarded as safe," they list things that are barely even in there at all.  If peanut oil was in there, it would be listed.  Also, we already use aluminum as adjuvants there's no need to secretly use peanut oil.

Taxi, no offense, but those links are pointless.  Showing that it was once studied in animals is not at all the same as showing it is currently used in people.  

prosciencemum likes this.
#18 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

That is about the loosest use of the word "fact" I've ever heard.  Go look at the ingredients in the vaccines yourself.  They do list things that are "generally regarded as safe," they list things that are barely even in there at all.  If peanut oil was in there, it would be listed.  Also, we already use aluminum as adjuvants there's no need to secretly use peanut oil.

Taxi, no offense, but those links are pointless.  Showing that it was once studied in animals is not at all the same as showing it is currently used in people.  

Reread, please.  I said "the fact that pharmaceutical companies may be using it…"

It is a fact they may be using it.  I said "may" not "are."

Let's not nitpick.

#19 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 AM

Like I said, pretty loose use of the word fact.  

#20 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 AM

In trying to figure out whether peanut oil may be in vaccines (no conclusions yet) I came across this book, which does implicate vaccines in the rise of peanut allergies. It might be worth a read for anyone interested in pursuing the topic.  

http://www.amazon.com/History-Peanut-Allergy-Epidemic/dp/1449916651/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272317249&sr=1-1/AllergicChild

Taximom5 likes this.
#21 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 08:51 AM

OP:  here is a link (it is a crunchy blog, but still might have useful information or point you in a research direction) on allergies and vaccines.  Happy reading!  

http://journeytocrunchville.wordpress.com/2008/04/08/is-there-a-connection-between-vaccines-and-food-allergies/

#22 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 08:54 AM

It might be worth reading the one star review before spending money on that book.

Super~Single~Mama likes this.
#23 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:

It might be worth reading the one star review before spending money on that book.

Yes, there is one 1 star review and there are five 5 star reviews.  

In any event, I would not spend or advocate spending money on a book suggested on the internet.  It might be a great book or it might be garbage.  Library all the way.  

#24 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 AM

The OP asked for information on vaccines and allergies.  If anyone has anything to offer her, other than just pick apart things non-vaxxers said, that would cool.  

BeckyBird and Taximom5 like this.
#25 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Yes, there is one 1 star review and there are five 5 star reviews.  

In any event, I would not spend or advocate spending money on a book suggested on the internet.  It might be a great book or it might be garbage.  Library all the way.  

I doubt the library would have it.  And a whole five reviews from people who have a bias to believe the info is not really convincing me. Anyway, my point was the one star review had some interesting info.

And I'll take this moment to say that I've flagged this thread as I think it is misplaced and goes against this subforum's guidelines as does some of the discussion and links on it.  Mosaic hasn't been online for a couple of days though, so who knows when she'll see it or what she will decide.

There is a duplicate thread on the main vaccination forum which I think is a more appropriate place (notice the pros thread was started there and not in the I'm Not Vaccinating subforum).  There is also one about peanuts.  I think in the interest of keeping this place civil and respectful the discussion of the cons of vaccines and the alleged peanut oil cover up should be kept there.

#26 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

The OP asked for information on vaccines and allergies.  If anyone has anything to offer her, other than just pick apart things non-vaxxers said, that would cool.  

I think it's fair to pick apart what non-vaxxers say considering where we are.

#27 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:

And I'll take this moment to say that I've flagged this thread as I think it is misplaced and goes against this subforum's guidelines as does some of the discussion and links on it.  Mosaic hasn't been online for a couple of days though, so who knows when she'll see it or what she will decide.

There is a duplicate thread on the main vaccination forum which I think is a more appropriate place (notice the pros thread was started there and not in the I'm Not Vaccinating subforum).  There is also one about peanuts.  I think in the interest of keeping this place civil and respectful the discussion of the cons of vaccines and the alleged peanut oil cover up should be kept there.

That is ok that it is flagged.  Maybe a mod should look at it.   I agree a thread on cons to vaxxing should be on the vaccine forum or on the non-vax board.  

Totally off topic, but the sel/delayed board confuses me a bit.  I would expect a pro-vax or mainstream vaccine board to have only links such as CDC, but sel/del might be more open to different links?  I just do not know.

This is nit-picking, but I have not alleged there is a cover-up.  I think I have been pretty clear I have just started looking into the issue and have come to no conclusion.  At this point in time I am leaning towards there is little or no proof there is peanut oil in current day vaccines - but that is it.  

#28 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 AM

It's not on the list of ingredients. So if you're saying that's not case closed you're implying they left it off on purpose. Hence a cover up.
AbbyGrant likes this.
#29 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

It's not on the list of ingredients. So if you're saying that's not case closed you're implying they left it off on purpose. Hence a cover up.

Not having come to a conclusion because I have not had a chance to look at all the information = cover up???  If you say so, rachel.

Spending time looking at an issue before coming to a conclusion is good science.  

Companies leave out ingredients all.the.time.  Foods which list "food starch" without saying which starch, cleaning supplies, etc, etc.  

I think there is a good possibility that if I called Merck and asked if there was Adjuvant 65-4 in their products, they would tell me.  I would probably believe them, unless I found solid evidence otherwise.  

Not listing an ingredient is not the same as a cover up.

#30 of 93 Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM

Vaccines are different than food or cleaning products. All the ingredients are listed, even ones that aren't really ingredients just potential leftovers from the manufacturing process.

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page