Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
These guys are what we always get.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/#varicella
#482 of 713 Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
According to that link giving them out is federal law in the us.

"Before a healthcare provider vaccinates a child or an adult with a dose of any vaccine containing diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, mea- sles, mumps, rubella, polio, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), influenza, pneumococcal conjugate, me- ningococcal, rotavirus, human papillomavirus (HPV), or varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, the provider is required by the National Child- hood Vaccine Injury Act (NCVIA) to provide a copy of the VIS to either the adult recipient or to the child"
#483 of 713 Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Same here. As a patient or parent, I've had to sign the form and was given the information sheet. As a provider, I have to make sure that they sign the form and are given the sheet. Whoever these providers are who are not doing this are breaking all kinds of laws, I'm pretty sure.

#484 of 713 Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post

I have always had to sign a form. I've also never had vaccination "sprung on me." I make appointments. I know what they are for. I have had plenty of opportunity to obtain and consider information about the vaccines being administered. I have been satisfied that the risks of vaccination are dramatically less than the risks of VPDs.

Same here. I don't know anyone IRL who doesnt have to read over an information form, and sign it before their child is vaccinated. I know there are people who don't have as much access to information as I do, but I have such a hard time believing that kids are just being vaccinated without parental consent on a regular basis.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#485 of 713 Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 PM

I always have to sign a form. As a physician, I can say that all of my patients are giveN VIS forms. They all have to sign a consent for each vaccine, and the lot number is logged on that sheet.
#486 of 713 Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I've always had to sign a form and I've always gotten the information sheet, including possible side effects, to take with me.

Me too.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#487 of 713 Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 PM

#488 of 713 Old 06-13-2012, 07:57 PM

When my DS was fully vaccinated, I never had to sign anything, and was given the VIS after the shots, each time.  My kids only had shots under one pediatrician, but that was how he seemed to do things.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#489 of 713 Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I always had to sign a form--AFTER they gave the shot. I wsa told that that form was my consent for treatment (i.e., vaccination); it didn't say anything about informed consent.. The "information form" was given to me at the very end of the appointment, and it was just a generic vaccination form. It never listed which vaccines my child was given, nor where it was injected. It said that my child had just received one or more vaccines, and that side effects were usually mild, and included redness and swelling at the injection site, mild fever, and perhaps fussiness.
#490 of 713 Old 06-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I was given information and had to sign a form when I was given an MMR booster as an adult (right after giving birth to my son!).

I haven't been given anything to sign for my son. I would have to sign something, though, to show I was aware of the risks of not vaccinating if I were to decline a shot.

#491 of 713 Old 06-15-2012, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

We simply initialed beside the vaccine that was to be given, and an info sheet with side effects, etc., and care after the visit.  We did not have to sign anything if we were declining one or more vaxes, just left that line blank.

Since we haven't had the boosters, starting at school age we sign a very brief slip for the doctor's office, stating that we were told of the vaxes that were due and that we were declining, and nothing else.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#492 of 713 Old 06-16-2012, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I don't remember about signing, but in the UK we are given standard information sheets for each vaccination, and the nurse who is doing the shots will also ask if you have questions and if you understand what is happening. We don't see  Doctor for immunizations here (or well child checks unless a problem is noticed by the nurse). 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#493 of 713 Old 06-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Remember that informed consent doesn't always mean signing. Maybe it does in the US? But a doctor can usually obtain verbal consent from a patient, too, right? I remember that I refused induction drugs when my water broke, and they had to explain to me all the risks of doing that were (I was GBS+), and I had to state that I understood and was still refusing. But the hospital did that all verbally and they considered my verbal agreement my "informed consent".

I always assumed that my doctor considered my booking the appointment to be consent for my son's shots. She always explains what vaccines he's getting and talks about what I could expect in terms of side effects and tells me to call if there are any reactions, but she does that all verbally, and I kind of think that's legit.

#494 of 713 Old 06-16-2012, 07:24 PM

#495 of 713 Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

The signature requirement varies by state.
#496 of 713 Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

I don't think a signature is required.  But in the US, a Vaccine Information Statement (VIS) is supposed to be given for each vaccine before it's administered.

IMO demand this info sheet BEFORE "vaccination day". READ every word, for all eight "vaccines", AT HOME, if you do not understand ANY of it get HELP understanding it Your child is counting on you.

#497 of 713 Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 PM

Wow, I actually agree with Louis on something! I'm in favor of getting information on the vaccine before it is given, too. :)

#498 of 713 Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

Package Inserts and Manufacturers

for some US Licensed

Vaccines and Immunoglobulins

http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts.htm

One DTaP "Vaccine" Verrrrry interesting.

The point estimate of protective efficacy for two doses of vaccine was 69% (95% CI; 47% to 82%) for all cases of culture-confirmed pertussis with any cough 1 day or longer and 79% (95% CI; 57% to 90%) using a secondary case definition of culture-confirmed cases with cough of over 30 days duration.18 In a reanalysis of the Swedish data, efficacy estimates increased with duration of coughing spasms and when the case definition included whoops and whoops plus at least nine coughing spasms a day.20 Using a case definition of 21 days or more of coughing spasms, confirmed by positive culture, resulted in an efficacy estimate of 81% (95% CI; 61% to 90%).20

Using a passive reporting system, three-year unblinded follow-up of vaccine and placebo recipients from the above Swedish study has shown a post-trial efficacy of 77% (95% CI; 65% to 85%) for all culture-proven cases of pertussis, and an efficacy of 92% (95% CI; 84% to 96%) for culture-proven cases with a cough of over 30 days duration.21

CONTRAINDICATIONS Hypersensitivity to any component of the vaccine is a contraindication to receipt of Tripedia vaccine (see DESCRIPTION section).15

It is a contraindication to use Tripedia vaccine after a serious allergic reaction (eg, anaphylaxis) temporally associated with a previous dose of this vaccine or with any components of this vaccine, including thimerosal and gelatin. Because of the uncertainty as to which component of the vaccine might be responsible, no further vaccination with any of these components should be given. Alternatively, such individuals may be referred to an allergist for evaluation if further immunizations are to be considered.
Page 5 of 13

In addition, the following events are contraindications to administration of any pertussis-containing vaccine, including Tripedia vaccine.11

Encephalopathy (eg, coma, decreased level of consciousness, prolonged seizures) within 7 days of administration of a previous dose of a pertussis-containing vaccine that is not attributable to another identifiable cause;

Progressive neurologic disorder, including infantile spasms, uncontrolled epilepsy, or progressive encephalopathy. Pertussis vaccine should not be administered to individuals with such conditions until a treatment regimen has been established and the condition has stabilized.

In instances where the pertussis vaccine component is contraindicated, DT vaccine should be administered for the remaining doses in the vaccination schedule.

WARNINGS

The stopper of the vial contains dry natural latex rubber that may cause allergic reactions in latex sensitive individuals.
If any of the following events occurs in temporal relation with the receipt of either whole-cell pertussis DTP vaccine or a vaccine containing an acellular pertussis component, the decision to administer subsequent doses of Tripedia vaccine or any vaccine containing a pertussis component should be based on careful consideration of potential benefits and possible risks.15,23
Temperature of ≥40.5°C (105°F) within 48 hours, not attributable to another identifiable cause.
Collapse or shock-like state (hypotonic-hyporesponsive episode) within 48 hours.
Persistent crying lasting ≥3 hours within 48 hours.
Convulsions with or without fever, occurring within 3 days.

When a decision is made to withhold the pertussis component, immunization with DT vaccine should be continued.3
If Guillain-Barré syndrome occurs within 6 weeks of receipt of prior vaccine containing tetanus toxoid, the decision to give subsequent doses of Tripedia vaccine or any vaccine containing tetanus toxoid should be based on careful consideration of the potential benefits and possible risks.11

Because of the risk of hemorrhage, Tripedia vaccine should not be given to infants or children with any coagulation disorder, including thrombocytopenia, that would contraindicate intramuscular injection, or to those on anticoagulant therapy, unless the potential benefit clearly outweighs the risk of administration. If the decision is made to administer Tripedia vaccine in such infants or children, it should be given with caution, with steps taken to avoid the risk of bleeding and hematoma formation following injection.

A family history of seizures or other central nervous system disorders is not a contraindication to pertussis vaccine.3,11,15,23 For infants or children at higher risk for seizures than the general population, an appropriate antipyretic may be administered at the time of vaccination with a vaccine containing an acellular pertussis component (including Tripedia vaccine) and for the ensuing 24 hours according to the respective prescribing information recommended dosage to reduce the possibility of post-vaccination fever.11,15

A committee of the Institute of Medicine (IOM) has concluded that evidence is consistent with a causal relationship between whole-cell pertussis DTP vaccine and acute neurologic illness, and under special circumstances, between whole-cell pertussis DTP vaccine and chronic neurologic disease in the context of the National Childhood Encephalopathy Study (NCES) report.24,25 However, the IOM committee concluded that the evidence was insufficient to indicate whether or not whole-cell pertussis DTP vaccine increased the overall risk of chronic neurologic disease.25

The decision to administer a pertussis-containing vaccine to children with stable central nervous system disorders must be made by the physician on an individual basis, with consideration of all relevant factors, and assessment of potential risks and benefits for that individual. The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the Committee on Infectious Diseases of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) have issued guidelines for such children.15,22,23 The parent or guardian should be advised of the potential increased risk involved (see PRECAUTIONS, Information for Vaccine Recipients and Parents or Guardians section).
The ACIP has published guidelines for vaccination of persons with recent or acute illness.11

Except for reconstitution of Tripedia vaccine with ActHIB vaccine for administration of the fourth dose to children 15-18 months of age, Tripedia vaccine should not be combined through reconstitution with any vaccine (see PRECAUTIONS section, Drug Interactions subsection).

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm101580.pdf

READ Mothers Please READ

#499 of 713 Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Wow, I actually agree with Louis on something! I'm in favor of getting information on the vaccine before it is given, too. :)

Your wish WAS my COMMAND!

#500 of 713 Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post
I haven't been given anything to sign for my son. I would have to sign something, though, to show I was aware of the risks of not vaccinating if I were to decline a shot.

Signing a piece of paper does not make you aware of risks and supposed "benefits"

Only YOUR RESEARCH can do this. 

If I were running this site, yeah I KNOW, I would SOFTLY assign a "vaccine" to a group of mothers, let them digest and come to an UNDERSTANDING of the fact sheet and present the results to the group.

My candidate the extremely toxic "Pertussis Vaccine".

#501 of 713 Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

But a doctor can usually obtain verbal consent from a patient, too, right?

When YOU sue your ped, for malpractice due to your autistic child; the day is COMING, he will look foolish without  your signature on LOTS of paper. Even then he will look and BE lots more than foolish.

The WRATH of tens of millions of mothers will be a FORCE to behold.

It can change this nation. Please help.

#502 of 713 Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 AM

Louisw, you have been asked multiple times to refrain from posting in a repetitive manner as well as to avoid posts that are just C&P text from other sites and documents. Please edit your posts and post in a manner that is more conducive to a productive conversation.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#503 of 713 Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisw View Post

When YOU sue your ped, for malpractice due to your autistic child; the day is COMING, he will look foolish without  your signature on LOTS of paper. Even then he will look and BE lots more than foolish.

The WRATH of tens of millions of mothers will be a FORCE to behold.

It can change this nation. Please help.

Well, my doctor is a woman. And I certainly wouldn't sue her if my child was autistic! How silly.

Please help with what?

#504 of 713 Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 AM

#505 of 713 Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisw View Post

Louis, you CAN'T sue doctors for malpractice due to autistic children; by federal law, doctors are protected from liability for vaccine reactions.  Your child could die from a vaccine reaction and you still can't sue your doctor.

Quote:

Well, my doctor is a woman. And I certainly wouldn't sue her if my child was autistic! How silly.

Whether or not a doctor is a woman has nothing to do with whether or not she is liable for malpractice.

I agree, it is silly to sue a doctor if a child is autistic, because the doctor is already protected from liability for vaccine reactions.

But it seems that you might be implying that autism has nothing to do with vaccine reactions, and that's a silly notion.

The US Department of Health has already conceded roughly 2000 cases of vaccine-induced brain damage, usually relating to seizures.  A large proportion of these cases also included symptoms of autism. According to David Bowman, a spokesman for HHS's Health Resources and Services Administration: "We have compensated cases in which children exhibited an encephalopathy, or general brain disease. Encephalopathy may be accompanied by a medical progression of an array of symptoms including autistic behavior, autism, or seizures." (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f-kennedy-jr-and-david-kirby/vaccine-court-autism-deba_b_169673.html)(bolding mine)

The Italian government recently conceded a case where autism was caused by the MMR.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2160054/MMR-A-mothers-victory-The-vast-majority-doctors-say-link-triple-jab-autism-Italian-court-case-reignite-controversial-debate.html

The Finnish government has conceded that the flu shot caused narcolepsy--a form of seizure disorder--in Finnish children: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g1doyMOnXuq77VZHACz_rcbX99BA

#506 of 713 Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM

I would say that it's silly to sue a doctor for malpractice related to a vaccine injury because it's not malpractice. In order to prove malpractice, one had to show that standard of care was breached. Since vaccination is the standard of care, it would be next to impossible to prove malpractice.
AbbyGrant likes this.
#507 of 713 Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

I would say that it's silly to sue a doctor for malpractice related to a vaccine injury because it's not malpractice. In order to prove malpractice, one had to show that standard of care was breached. Since vaccination is the standard of care, it would be next to impossible to prove malpractice.

Unless the standard of care were breached, by giving a vaccination to someone for whom a vaccine would be contraindicated, such as someone with a history of a severe vaccine reaction, previous severe reaction to a knowon vaccine ingredient, or someone with a fever or other illness that would contraindicate vaccines.

There are many parents of autistic children who report that their children were given vaccines in spite of ear infections, fevers, vomiting/diarrhea, etc.

#508 of 713 Old 06-19-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mild illness is not a contraindication for vaccination.
#509 of 713 Old 06-19-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Mild illness is not a contraindication for vaccination.

According to http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/vac-admin/contraindications-vacc.htm, moderate to severe illness, with or without fever, IS a contraindication for vaccination.

Doctors are not able to tell if an illness is a mild illness or the beginning of a moderate illness, particularly with infants.

According to http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/parent-questions.html, mild illness include cold, earache, mild fever, or diarrhea.

But several severe illnesses may begin with cold symptoms'  Severe ear infections can begin with earache.  Mild fever may precede dangerously high fever. Diarrhea may be the beginning of many severe problems, including viral illnesses, microbial intestinal infections, and food poisoning.

Interesting that diarrhea should be listed as a mild illness, when the Rotateq vaccine is pushed, along with the understanding that diarrheal illnesses in infants can be very dangerous. Apparently, it is possible that an infant, particularly a bottle-fed infant in daycare, could be in the beginning stages of Rotavirus, yet be deemed healthy enough to receive several vaccines, which would surely be problematic, as Rotavirus is considered to be a severe illness for infants.

purslaine likes this.
#510 of 713 Old 06-19-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Contraindicated is not the same as surely problematic.
Closed Thread

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page