Bringing Baby Overseas on Military Orders without Vaccinating - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband is in the Air Force and has orders to Hawaii.  We have chosen to delay vaccinating our six-month-old daughter until she's two.  The problem is that the pediatrician won't sign off on her out processing paperwork unless she is vaccinated.  I've talked to Immunizations and the Family Relocation Coordinator as well.  Everyone says to vaccinate her but they can't provide me with an AFI or anything in writing so I don't think it actually has to happen.  I've also called the base in Hawaii but they told me to work it through the Family Relocation Coordinator.  I feel like they're making assumptions so they don't have to actually figure anything out.  Does anyone know exactly what needs to happen or how I can find out?  We would settle for giving her one or two vaccines specific to risks in Hawaii, but would rather not spring a dozen on her at once.

#2 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh, what a horrible situation. No matter what you decide it shouldn't be from forced coercion. When I read "overseas" I pictured somewhere far far away...Not Hawaii! I've taken my unvaxxed DD on vacation there 3 times, never thought twice about a higher risk of VPD. It's part of the US, no greater risk for any VPD I can imagine.

I'm sorry I can't help but I think you have a major right as a parent not to be forced. I'm sure there must be some legal avenue you can take? Maybe even the threat of getting legal help involved would make them back down...

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#3 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Can you find a different pediatrician or a family practice doctor?

#4 of 5 Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Can you find a different pediatrician or a family practice doctor?

Typically, no. They often have one doc who does the outprocessing physicals.

More than likely what is going on here is that they have never run in to a family who refuses to vaccinate their kids before. Vaccination rates in the military are higher than in the civilian population. You need to figure out what forms they need to put in your release that will allow you to pass the medical outprocessing. More than likely this is just that there is a hoop to jump through that no one knows how to do, and in addition they don't want to waste time out of their day trying to figure it out for you, either, because they believe strongly that vaccinations are important. It can be done, but you need to figure out how it needs to be done for them. You could try contacting the MTF XO's office and see if they know how to go about it.

#5 of 5 Old 06-02-2012, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

There are quite a few families that do not vaccinate in the military.  However the military has it's rules. 

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page