Another poll! Enjoy! - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What best describes you?
Pro-vax: I think every one should vaccinate their children 13 100.00%
Select/delayed vax: I am very choosy about what I vax for 8 88.89%
Non-vax, but would choose to if I felt vaccines were safer 7 77.78%
Non-vax, but I understand why others might choose to do so 11 100.00%
Anti-vax: I don't vax, and I don't think others should, either 1 11.11%
This is a stupid poll 3 33.33%
(Yawn!) Give me a smack down or I'm going somewhere more interesting. 0 0%
I am totally overwhelmed and confused: how do y'all keep track of this stuff????? 3 33.33%
SweetSilver, you are just awesome! 9 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Not another thread for arguing.

I was thinking about recent posts in other threads.  Some folks were surprised at the existence of other pro-vaxxers on MDC, and I felt that there was some confusion between non- and anti- vax.

So, the purpose of this thread is just to (hopefully) help us all feel welcome-- that yes, there is someone just like you and you should not be afraid or embarrassed to post (embarrassment never stopped me!  Ahem......)   We *all* love our kids, we are *all* making decisions we feel are best, and hopefully some of us can find some community regardless of our choices.

IF YOU THINK THIS THREAD IS STUPID, DON'T GO AWAY!  I have a voting option *just for you!*

You can choose more than one (yay!!!!!!)  I like to do that. 

And, a big "Thank you!" for all the thoughtful folks who post the most amazing information on these forums.  My hats off to you for making this easier for the rest of us.......

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

I chose the first non-vax option.  I also admit to being totally overwhelmed and confused.

And look!  33% of 1 person thinks SweetSilver is awesome!

Cool....... orngtongue.gif

#3 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

If I forgot your best category, please elucidate..... and, sorry!

#4 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Interesting poll.  I look forward to seeing what the results are. :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

I tried editing the poll so the first non-vax read simply "would choose to if.......", but couldn't do it.  There are so many reasons why or why not!

#6 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I totally think SweetSilver is awesome!

I would suggest another category:

I started out totally pro-vax, but living with and researching the results of more than one severe reaction changed my mind.

#7 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How about pro-vax, delayed and selective, and I don't care if anybody else does or not?

#8 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

I totally think SweetSilver is awesome!

I would suggest another category:

I started out totally pro-vax, but living with and researching the results of more than one severe reaction changed my mind.

I started out pro-vax as well.  Until I became "pro-vax-but-what-the-hell-what's-that-one-for?" (so, I guess, "Selective-vax", but barely) then my dd1 started making the decisions for me: getting her to the doctor's office was like prying a wary limpid from a beach rock with your bare hands and it was entirely because of all the shots.  I had to start reconsidering: if I was going to battle this, I needed to have a good reason and started doing my research at that point.  Now, I am de facto non-vax because, well, we just haven't recently.  Kind of lame, really.

My dd2 recently had to have an antibiotic shot due to a scary, nasty infection.  I thought it was going to be more like a vaccination--OMG!  NOT!  Huge needle, huge bolus, throat got hard, heart rate plummeted, ambulance called...... wow!  So much for her getting over her needle shyness.

#9 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I explained what I meant by anti-vax in Kathy's thread if you want a longer explanation but basically I don ' t think it is the best public health policy, but individuals making that choice for themselves and their children I am totally fine with.

#10 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

I explained what I meant by anti-vax in Kathy's thread if you want a longer explanation but basically I don ' t think it is the best public health policy, but individuals making that choice for themselves and their children I am totally fine with.

I know and understand-- your original post just made me think of it, that's all.  There was also expressions of surprise at seeing other pro-vaxers post on MDC, so I was hoping as many folks could chime in here and help give a more accurate picture of the practices and beliefs represented here, and help make everyone who stops in here feel welcome.

#11 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 PM

I didn't vote, but if there were a "I was nervous about vaccines due to some stuff I had read on the internet, but researching further into the facts and the anti-vaccination side(thank you MDC vaccine forum!) made me realize that full vaccination was scientifically sound and only contraindicated in a small percentage of the population so I fully vaccinate all of my children" then I would have voted.

#12 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Delayed is different than selective, although that's what I put. I spread out the first 1.5 year's worth of vaccines over 2.5 years. By age 3, they're all up to date, and stay that way with future stuff like boosters (other than the one DS is medically exempt for since he's allergic to it).

I believe in vaccines, but I believe that the schedule was made for public health reasons rather than for optimum time and spacing of vaccines. From a public health perspective, people forget to finish boosters and series after the 1 year old visit, and even more so after 18 months or so. So, the government wants to get in everything they can before that visit. Plus, they want to make sure that kids who are in community settings and daycare are well vaccinated against things that can run rampant there. I get that, and I don't mind the current schedule as a baseline, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with spreading them out. If you know for a fact that you are on top of finishing every series; and if the kids aren't in group care or community settings before they're "caught up." I do think having somewhat less antigens at once is ideal if you can make that commitment.  

I had the issue that can come up of the kids dreading doctor visits because of vaccines at every one, but honestly, our doctor's office treats shots like a routine, easy thing. The kids quickly realized that shot=extra toy from the prize bin and weren't too traumatized!

Buzzer Beater likes this.

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#13 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I started out very much pro-vax as well. I am an RN and I have done as specific immunization provider course. I only changed my stance when I started researching some of the claims made by non-vaxers.

I voted non-vax but can understand why others do but ultimately I think we will be selective/delayed. I do think that vaccines have a role in preventing some diseases but I am also concerned about the potential effects on the extremely plastic brains and immune systems of the very young.

We are also in the privileged position of being able to fully breast feed, not use any sort of daycare, have great nutrition, be in a low risk area and access one of the best health care services in the world for free. If any of those things had been different we may have made a different choice.

TBH I don't know if we've made the right decision. My feeling is that there is good arguements for both sides and the decision often comes down to individual circumstances and personal biases ( not quite the right word but preggo brain can't do better).

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#14 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post

I didn't vote, but if there were a "I was nervous about vaccines due to some stuff I had read on the internet, but researching further into the facts and the anti-vaccination side(thank you MDC vaccine forum!) made me realize that full vaccination was scientifically sound and only contraindicated in a small percentage of the population so I fully vaccinate all of my children" then I would have voted.

That's pretty much how it was for us.  DD1 was unvaxxed until she was 2.5.  I've had a total change of heart regarding vaccination in the last year.  Now we're getting her caught up, and my 7 month old is slowly getting caught up, too.  MAN, if you had told me 3 years ago that I would ever vaccinate my 4 month old baby, I would have kicked you in the shin!  lol.gif

I chose pro-vax because I think it's maybe the closest to what I am, but I personally delay/spread out vaccines and I'm totally fine with everyone else doing that too.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#15 of 21 Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Dar

Vaxed according to schedule according to 18 months. Then I started reading stuff about the dangers of vaccinating, and at around the same time my father (a pathologist) told me about a case he testified in at around that time, involving an 18 month old who died as the result of a vaccine. There wasn't much question about the cause of death, really, and the family got money through VICP. Anyway, it was scary and at that point I felt like I didn't know enough to make a good decision, and since my daughter was past the age when most VPDs were most lethal it seemed safest to do nothing... so I stopped vaccinating her.

As she got into her teens I started hearing more about autism and vaccines, and that motivated me to read more about vaccination in general... here, medical journals, elsewhere on the internet. I talked to Rain about it, too, and she wanted to get caught up on everything and I agreed, so now she is. I've gotten flu shots the last few years - the doctor recommended them one year when my asthma was really bad - and Rain has had the HPV vaccine as well.

I don't think everyone should vaccinate - some vaccines are clearly contraindicated for some people. I do believe that the higher the percentage of vaccinated individuals is in a population, the less likely it is that a person in that population will get a VPD.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#16 of 21 Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post

That is how it was for me too. I was very scared about vaccinating, read a ton of books about it, ended up doing spread apart/delayed at first and then really looked into the actual science. Now my daughter is caught up.

prosciencemum likes this.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#17 of 21 Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 AM

We're a S&D family. I think everyone's situations are unique & I think we should all be free to choose what we feel is best for our family.
thegoodearth likes this.
#18 of 21 Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

One of the things I hate about polls/surveys is that it's really hard to find the exact best answer.  A learning curve in the art of designing one, for sure, but thanks for all the responses so far!  And it's a good thing that I am still the only one overwhelmed and confused so far.  At least, I think it's a good thing.

#19 of 21 Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 AM

We are non-vax, but started out vaccine-accepting (I will not say pro-vax, because that implies more thought than I gave it).  It was what everyone did and what the doctor recommended.

I started asking questions after media reports around DPT and MMR.   HCP were not really able to answer my questions, and so I delayed until I could figure out the answers. As my children have aged, I have come to believe they should have some say in whether they should be vaccinated- it is their body.

I can see instances where vaxxing for some VPDs might be the safest move - travel to an area where a disease is endemic, for example.   Another example would be if your children is prone to specific issues (example - if your child is prone to pneumonia, you might want to at least research the pneumonia vaccine).

I voted non-vax, but understand why others might choose to do so.

#20 of 21 Old 06-06-2012, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I want a new option - pro vax, but we should all think about that choice and trust the science? I went with the only pro-vax option you put, but it doesn't really describe how I feel. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#21 of 21 Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

As she got into her teens I started hearing more about autism and vaccines, and that motivated me to read more about vaccination in general... here, medical journals, elsewhere on the internet. I talked to Rain about it, too, and she wanted to get caught up on everything and I agreed, so now she is. I've gotten flu shots the last few years - the doctor recommended them one year when my asthma was really bad - and Rain has had the HPV vaccine as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

As my children have aged, I have come to believe they should have some say in whether they should be vaccinated- it is their body.

I have been thinking along this lines since choosing to forgo the scheduled 4-6yo boosters.  I would love to talk to them more about vaccinations, but it is hard to know where to start.  Also, they are still really young, and the "shot" is more what it is about, or on the flip side they could be easily spooked. So, I don't think it's time yet to have this discussion, but when?  I'm glad to hear other moms talk about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I want a new option - pro vax, but we should all think about that choice and trust the science? I went with the only pro-vax option you put, but it doesn't really describe how I feel. 

Yeah, there were about 20 different categories I left out, or better ways to phrase the questions to be more inclusive.  (I even left out the main reason why *we* aren't right now!)  Thanks for voting anyhow.  I meant for this to be non-judgmental.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page