Great graphic on reduction of VPDs since 1900s - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

I really like this graphic illustrating the reduction in incidence of VPDs (vaccine preventable diseases) in the last 110 years. 

FXGd7.jpg

I know some of you will object to this reduction being linked to vaccines, and I agree from 1900s to now it's not only the introduction of more common vaccination which has changed, however you're probably not surprised that I believe there is a link. And I'll jump the gun and post the below which at least for Polio to me demonstrates a clear link. 

pandcmfig1.gif

This shows the rates of polio (and polio deaths) per 100,000 people from 1932 until what looks like 1992. IPV = inactivated polio vaccine (arrow indicates when introduced), OPV = oral polio vaccine (similar). 

I took this last one from The Polio Survivors Network, here: http://www.poliosurvivorsnetwork.org.uk/archive/lincolnshire/library/gawne/ppspandcm.htm

Would be nice to collect as up-to-date as possible versions of these graphs for other VPDs. Does anyone know of a link for that? 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Something I haven't looked at in a long many years but that I think is interesting to keep in mind when looking at these types of charts is information on when & where certain things became nationally notifiable, when they began being consistently reported & what the case criteria were at given times since all of that has changed over the years.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

There's a graph like that for measles in the case for vaccination thread/wiki.  I saw a website that had a bunch of htem once, maybe i can track it down.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

From JAMA:

Trends in Infectious Disease Mortality in the United States During the 20th Century

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=768249

The authors considered other infectious diseases, not just VPDs - the article is not about vaccines.  So, no info on how the numbers correspond to when the relevant vaccines were introduced, if at all.

The figures below are parts of the same image - sorry no time to manipulate the image and just present the interesting part.  Anyway - fig. C below might be of relevance to this board.

joc80862f4.gif

Pro rights (vaxes).
Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

Found another interesting visualization to share on this thread - how we die (compared between 1900 and 2010). From the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/06/22/how-we-die-in-one-chart/). 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Tags
Vaccinations
User Tag List