not vaccinating does not equal anti-vax - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not vaccinating does not equal anti-vax.

I have read twice today about "anti-vax" posters on MDC, but most posters who do not vax on MDC do not self define as anti-vax.  I think the word "anti-vax" gives a false impression of what many  non-vaccinating posters really believe.  In this era of bickering, I think understanding where people are coming from can only be helpful.

Here is a link if you like:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1354698/anti-vax-non-vax-pro-safe-vax

#2 of 14 Old 06-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Interesting and good point. Respecting someone's self definition/identifiction goes a long way toward furthering good discussion. smile.gif

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 14 Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM

So true. I am not anti vax. Choosing not to do something for yourself or child doesn't automatically mean you are "anti." I think it's easier for people to label someone anti because they need to compartmentalize that which they don't understand fully.
Bokonon and thegoodearth like this.
#4 of 14 Old 06-18-2012, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Not vaxing also does - not - equal anti-science.

Pro rights (vaxes).
#5 of 14 Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMunchkin View Post

clap.gif

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#6 of 14 Old 06-18-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks for saying this! And also thanks kathymuggle for the link to the other post. It's that time again for me to read up on vax'ing as I do every few months...

Sarah :c) ~ love.gif Emily (8) orngbiggrin.gif  Toby (5) angel2.gif Bean (7/2012)

#7 of 14 Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think there are two camps.  Some people believe that vaccines don't work, that the fall of diseases like small pox and polio are unrelated to the development of immunizations. I generally think of that group as more anti-vax due to the way things are phrased--generally that there is no reason to immunize, often with the attitude that people who do so are ignorant.  

And there are people who feel like it's more a personal decision and feel that there are risks associated with vaccines that they aren't willing to take, and the benefits do not outweigh the risks.

When people are rude about those who choose not to vaccinate, and make dire pronouncements and snarky comments, I do usually bring up the fact that some people don't believe vaccinations are effective, and that their arguments wouldn't hold water with them.

#8 of 14 Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:

EXACTLY. Thank you.

Likewise, someone who vaccinates their child doesn't make them any more "pro science" - or informed, or right, or researched, or frankly smarter - than someone who doesn't vaccinate. Not by a looooooong shot.

#9 of 14 Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann View Post

Likewise, someone who vaccinates their child doesn't make them any more "pro science" - or informed, or right, or researched, or frankly smarter - than someone who doesn't vaccinate.

It also doesn't even necessarily mean they are pro-vax. They could be just going along with what everybody else does, or they never think to question their doctor, or they are afraid to question their doctor, or they think their kids can't go to school without vaccines, etc.

#10 of 14 Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

It also doesn't even necessarily mean they are pro-vax. They could be just going along with what everybody else does, or they never think to question their doctor, or they are afraid to question their doctor, or they think their kids can't go to school without vaccines, etc.

Good point - and probably one to ask those who self-identify as pro-vaxxers.  

Is anyone who follows the vaccine schedule pro-vax, or is it a bit more than that?

#11 of 14 Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post 

Is anyone who follows the vaccine schedule pro-vax, or is it a bit more than that?

Interesting question. I would say someone who is pro-vax is someone who is aware of how vaccines work and thinks they save lives. They probably understand there can be side effects, but believe the  benefits out weight the risks. They are also likely to disbelieve many of the more controversial claims over vaccine risk (such as MMR autism links, that thimerosol content of vaccines is dangerous etc). I have yet to meet a working scientist (many of my friends are scientists because I am one) who doesn't consider vaccines to be one of the major medical science achievements of humanity.

So I suppose that means I don't think the majority of people who fully vaccinate their children but don't really think about the decision should be called "pro-vax". 

My question for this thread - what set of beliefs would identify a person as "anti-vax"? 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#12 of 14 Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

My question for this thread - what set of beliefs would identify a person as "anti-vax"? 

To me "anti" means against.

I am not against vaccines.  I think they have done a lot of good in this world, and some bad.  

I think vaccines are an appropriate choice for some people, in some places, with some diseases.  

If I were anti, I would want vaccines gone - and that is not true.

eireann likes this.
#13 of 14 Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

To me "anti" means against.

I am not against vaccines.  I think they have done a lot of good in this world, and some bad.  

I think vaccines are an appropriate choice for some people, in some places, with some diseases.  

If I were anti, I would want vaccines gone - and that is not true.

yeahthat.gif

I am not against all vaccines.  I weigh all the benefits and risks and their effectiveness IMO for each vaccine.  We decided to do the tetanus /diphtheria only for my oldest son when he was two, and will probably do the same for my 13 month old who is unvaxxed so far.  I've been researching and reading both sides since I was pregnant with my second again as I did with my first.  For me if I am anti anything it is that I am anti- authoritarian.  I make up my own mind with a lot of reading, research, thinking, and discussion.  There is no area of my life where I do something just because I am told that is what I should do...  I do not feel that my opinions and decisions are superior, but that they are right for me and my family.  To each their own. 

I have talked with several friends who have vaxxed with the schedule but were not really happy about it.  They felt pressured to do so.  A close friend told me how awful it was to go through with her first(a lot of inconsolable crying and rough nights afterwards)  and that she really didn't want to vax another child.  But a few years later when she had another child she did vax on schedule again because she said her doctor pressured her and she thought it was necessary to enroll in school.  She isn't pro-vax but didn't want to rock the boat.  She felt the benefits outweighed the risks in the end, I suppose. 

So, there is a huge middle ground between being anti-vax and pro-vax and I think that is where a lot of us are. 

homeschooling mama to 8 yr old biggrinbounce.gif with a new little one(5-5-2011) babyf.gif...  h20homebirth.gif

#14 of 14 Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by musingmama View Post

So, there is a huge middle ground between being anti-vax and pro-vax and I think that is where a lot of us are. 

Absolutely. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page