Son just stepped on a nail! Please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-27-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 12yr old son just stepped on a nail in the barn. It was an old nail stuck in a board but wasn't sitting in manure or anything.  Just buried under shavings and hay.   I'm not really sure how far it went in.  It did bleed a little but not very much to make me feel like it cleaned itself out.  I squeezed to try to make it bleed more but it didn't really bleed any more and washed with soap and water and dumped peroxide on it several times.  I have him soaking it in epsom salt right now.  I forgot to add the most important information.  He has never any any vaxes so I am very worried about tetanus.  What would you all do?

#2 of 11 Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 PM

He needs a tetanus shot right away. Go to the emergency room. You don't want to mess around with tetanus. 

Casey - Mama to Zola (10-20-07) and Felix (4-30-09)
#3 of 11 Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM

If he has never had any tetanus shots, then what he needs is TIG, tetanus immune globulin.  The tetanus shot is a series that can't generate immunity in time for post-exposure prevention of tetanus.

A barn area is very high risk for the presence of Clostridium tetani, which is not at all rare, and multiplies in the intestines of horses and other livestock, as well as in soil.  A puncture wound from a nail is also highly tetanus-prone.  Please take him in right away and make sure the physician knows he has had zero doses of DTaP and needs TIG, not just a tetanus shot.

#4 of 11 Old 06-28-2012, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

yes TiG is the way to go...call your dr and see if he has it...Dt or DTaP isn't going to do anything for the exposure immediately, but TiG will.  

#5 of 11 Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 PM

I did the same exact thing when I was 15. It was in the muck in the barn where the cows go and poop as they eat. Mom did the same things you did plus had me get a tetanus shot. I don't know what I would do if it happened again or to my kid. Tetanus is rare, but at the same time, a rusty old barn nail. If it's not deep, I probably wouldn't worry about it. Has he been cut by things in the barn before? Old barbwire or something? If he was fine then, probably will be now. But I would leave it up to you and how you feel about vax. Mom took me to the health dept for the shot. I was REALLY sore in the arm for days. Last vax I had. Still have the scar from the nail 17 years later.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#6 of 11 Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 PM

My oldest daughter was severly allergic to the tetanus vaccine (we found out when she went into anaphylactic shock after one of her vaccinations and then lots of testing to find out why).  We were told it is extremely rare for a child to be allergic to the tetanus vaccine (although I've heard of some other children, especially infants that have had allergic reactions).

When she stepped on a nail while playing in an "old fort" a naturopath/herbalist suggested we pack the site with the herb Lobelia and watch her closely.  Since then, we have used this herb for wounds and thankfully have had no issues.  Our pediatrician didn't offer an alternative to the tetanus, but did suggest we watch it closely and bring her in immediately if there was any redness, swelling, fever, etc.  This isn't medical advice, so please don't take it as such.  This is just something we found that worked for puncture wounds for a child who couldn't receive a tetanus immunization.

#7 of 11 Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4Mom View Post

My oldest daughter was severly allergic to the tetanus vaccine (we found out when she went into anaphylactic shock after one of her vaccinations and then lots of testing to find out why).  We were told it is extremely rare for a child to be allergic to the tetanus vaccine (although I've heard of some other children, especially infants that have had allergic reactions).

I'm sorry your daughter had a bad reaction. I just want to point out that sites like this make it easy for people with rare reactions to find each other. So the fact that your daughter, and other people you've heard of, had a reaction is not contrary to these reactions being very rare.

Most people will not have a problem getting the vaccine.  

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#8 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Most people will not have as severe a reaction as Mom4Moms's daughter--but even the severe reactions are far more common than most doctors are aware of, and it looks like there are a lot of other adverse reactions that either do not appear immediately, or that do not initially appear to be problematic, and are therefore missed.

I was initially told that my oldest child's seizure reaction couldn't possibly have anything to do with vaccines, because "vaccines don't do that."  Then we were told that vaccines did indeed "do that," but that it was a total fluke, a one-in-a-million thing.

Subsequent reactions from our other children convinced our pediatrician--and us-- that severe vaccine reactions are much more common than what is taught in medical schools. Those reactions go unrecognized and unreported, which further entrenches the myth that they are very rare.

Mom4Mom, you might want to do more research on these reactions on the National Vaccine Information Center's website: www.nvic.org.

#9 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM

the TiG and the vaccine are two different things.  i wouldn't fool around in those circumstances and i would get the kid the TIG. 

There doesn't have to be manure for there to be tetanus.  It can live in soil, perpetually. 

People who like to look at numbers, your chances of a reaction to the TIG are pretty small.  the fatality rate for someone who contracts tetanus is not slim.  it's a rare illness but it's not one that people have odds for recovery from.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#10 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

the TiG and the vaccine are two different things.  i wouldn't fool around in those circumstances and i would get the kid the TIG. 
There doesn't have to be manure for there to be tetanus.  It can live in soil, perpetually. 
People who like to look at numbers, your chances of a reaction to the TIG are pretty small.  the fatality rate for someone who contracts tetanus is not slim.  it's a rare illness but it's not one that people have odds for recovery from.

I agree. Also, reddened, swelling, increased pain are signs of wound infection *not* signs of tetanus. The incubation period for tetanus is a few days to two months (by which time the original wound is probably long healed) and symptoms are muscle spasms starting in the jaw, headache, stiffness of neck and other muscles.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 11 Old 07-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Something similar happened to my son, twice successively within a span of a few months.  First, it was a dog bite, and second, it was a pointed metal axle from a gyroscope.

The first time it happened, I was worried about what to do.  That's why I joined mothering.com in the first place.  We cleaned the wound well, and then went into worry mode for the next 2-4 weeks, alert for any signs of tetanus.  We chose not to give him the the TiG since that is not without its own dangers.  We just tried to assess the dogs hygiene, the nature of the wound, and then resorted to prayer.  Things turned out fine.  We did choose to vaccinate him for tetanus after that whole ordeal.  After his first vaccine, he managed to step on the pointed metal toy that had been left in the yard.  We were less concerned knowing that people who have had one vaccine tend to fare better than people who have never had the vaccine (there are studies out on the internet that describe in detail the full course of tetanus and the different outcomes based on vaccine history; I recommend non-vaxers read these so they are prepared for these unlikely occurrences).  After my two scares, I'm convinced that I want my kids to have the tetanus vaccine at least once and then I'm considering giving them their follow-ups as well, something in between not vaccinating and giving them their recommended schedule.  

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/318926/awesome-tetanus-info

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page