Your thoughts on MDC's vax forum! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What do you like/want/need from MDC's vaccination boards? (select all that apply)
We are researching our vax decision/options. 10 100.00%
We vax on schedule. 19 100.00%
We selectively and/or delay vax. 17 100.00%
We are not vaccinating. 26 100.00%
I come to MDC for research. 29 100.00%
I come to MDC for support. 25 100.00%
I come to MDC for...(please describe!) 3 30.00%
I like the current forum structure! 12 100.00%
I want to see some change! (Tell us more!) 12 100.00%
Obligatory other because you know you want it!! 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I don't want a pro vax board.  I think it's silly.  

I agree. If we have an , "Im not vaccinating" board and a "I am vaccinating board" then what is the general board for? I would think that all the non vaxers would love to keep it "pro"vaxxers using the main board, and them having a seperate board. Very against the mainstream, very much something that people can automatically go to if they are new to MDC and are looking for people who don't want to vax. (that was one of my main reasons for coming here.)

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#32 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I agree. If we have an , "Im not vaccinating" board and a "I am vaccinating board" then what is the general board for? I would think that all the non vaxers would love to keep it "pro"vaxxers using the main board, and them having a seperate board. Very against the mainstream, very much something that people can automatically go to if they are new to MDC and are looking for people who don't want to vax. (that was one of my main reasons for coming here.)

It seems pretty evenly split.

There are pro-vaxxers who want a pro-vax board in the spirit of fairness and welcomeness to those who have made the informed decision to vax, a place to discuss pro-vax issues without having to hear from the rest of us, etc.

Then there are pro-vaxxers who think debate is the reason for being here, and that there would not be much to say on a pro-vax forum.  I suspect some do not like the non-vax forum for a bunch of reasons - but one is they believe it is an "echo chamber".  A pro-vax forum would also be an echo chamber - so it would be pretty hypocritical to want one.

OTOH, there are a number of non-vaxxers who do want a pro-vax forum.  A lot of it comes down to wanting to be fair, and wanting both sides represented (even if you do not agree with the other side).  It can be hard to get to any meat of the matter in the general forum due to the constant bickering.

Some non-vaxxer do not want a pro-vax forum, as they believe MDC's roots are vax questioning.  Moreover they believe the mainstream vax viewpoint is highly represented in the mainstream world - thus there is no need for it here.  People can get it elsewhere, and MDC should be a

space for vax questioners.

e_mom_e likes this.
#33 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 03:55 PM

There aren't actually very many places to discuss vaccine issues out there, believe it or not. Probably because not much discussion goes on without some dissent.

I don't dislike the I'm not vaccinating forum. I don't care about it either way.
#34 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I want provax forum where vax parents can share.  I am tired of vaccines being blamed for everything.

#35 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 PM

What would be the advantages & disadvantages of separate forums vs. social groups for vaxing, not vaxing, S & D vaxing?
#36 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 PM

In the last people have said they find social groups difficult to find and they did not like the idea of a membership requirement as a barrier to posting. I am just repeating what I've seen people say. I think a social group might be a old solution because it lets the members create the climate.
#37 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 06:25 PM

While social groups work for some things, I feel like it might be good to get a count of how many people actually post on the vax board before making those groups. As I said before, MDC is already pretty spread out, and spreading people who have a passion to talk about vaccinations out even further may just lead to less discussion.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#38 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 07:09 PM

I don't really get the whole social group thing.  

I would stick to what posters know and are comfortable with - which is forums.  

how do social groups work?  

#39 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

In the last people have said they find social groups difficult to find and they did not like the idea of a membership requirement as a barrier to posting. I am just repeating what I've seen people say. I think a social group might be a old solution because it lets the members create the climate.

Bolding mine - did you mean odd or something else?

#40 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 PM

I meant good. Autocorrect ftw. Ironically it got you, too!
purslaine likes this.
#41 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM

I guess what I'm thinking is that if, like me, all points of view want to enjoy posting on all threads, why have all these subforums? For me personally, it just makes navigation more of a hassle so I rarely even read anywhere but the main forum. I would probably participate in more threads if they were all in one spot instead of being spread out in all of these subforums.

And if I felt inclined to have a more insulated support environment, I would probably feel more comfortable in a social group specifically because it seems they offer a more sheltered environment. But I have not yet participated in a group so maybe there's something about them I am missing. Others might not be very familiar with what they offer/how they work either but I think it's worth exploring whether it might be worthwhile to utilize them in some way as an alternative to fragmenting the vax forums.
#42 of 47 Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Mods and staff,

Please don't forget - future newbies.  They can't participate in this discussion. 

Please consider what they might do in terms of navigating whatever structure this board will have.  Please consider what kind of support and info they might need.

Pro rights (vaxes).
#43 of 47 Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMunchkin View Post

I see - so, have you somehow felt judged, or not accepted, for being not-crunchy enough because you vax, here in MDC?  In real life?  Not a snark, truly trying to understand.

I don't care how crunchy or not crunchy I am perceived to be. I care about what's best for my child, not how I am labelled on an internet forum.

No indeed! What I meant was that, because of my attachment-style approach to parenting, I feel like I generally fit in here. It is not fun to go post on forums filled with moms who don't breastfeed and cry it out, etc. You guys know how it is. Anyway, I don't see vaccinating my child as incompatible with the AP-style approach, and neither do lots of moms (obviously).

Vaccination has never come up with my mom friends in real life. I am, however, perceived to be extremely crunchy because I nurse in public without a cover.

One_Girl likes this.
#44 of 47 Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:

I think we only need a vax forum with a subforum for "we're not vaccinating." IMO, all other topics about vaccinations fall under the catagory of "Vaccinations". After all, what would the Vaccination forum be for if we had a sub forum for pro and anti vax. Plus, lots of us are selective/delayed, so do we really need three forums for three different ways people feel about vax?

Were not vaccinating should cover issues like telling your family you arent vaxing, trying to get religious exemption in schools situations, dealing with other people who make comments about you not vaxing, ect. Research about the pros or cons of certian vaccines should go in the main forum.

I think this makes the most sense.
#45 of 47 Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

MichelleZB,

We're - not - supposed to continue with this line of discussion, mod said so. 

But just want to say thanks for the clarification.

I'll PM you.

Pro rights (vaxes).
#46 of 47 Old 07-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I'd like to see separate subforums for non-vaccinating and for vaccinating and for debate/research. I'd be comfortable with one subforum for vaccinating that included both threads on vaccinating on schedule and selected/delayed vaccinating, but wouldn't be opposed to separate forums for vaccinating on schedule and selected/delayed vaccinating.

And I really appreciate the moderation to keep the forums within the guidelines and to keep support only threads support only.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#47 of 47 Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I think we only need a vax forum with a subforum for "we're not vaccinating." IMO, all other topics about vaccinations fall under the catagory of "Vaccinations". After all, what would the Vaccination forum be for if we had a sub forum for pro and anti vax. Plus, lots of us are selective/delayed, so do we really need three forums for three different ways people feel about vax?
Were not vaccinating should cover issues like telling your family you arent vaxing, trying to get religious exemption in schools situations, dealing with other people who make comments about you not vaxing, ect. Research about the pros or cons of certian vaccines should go in the main forum. Just my opinion. I think MDC is getting way too spread out for the amount of people we have regularly posting.

I agree with the bolded

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page