Can I use day care and have a delayed/selective vaccination schedule? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our first baby is due at the end of August and I've just started my research. I would like to protect my child against certain illnesses (Pertussis, Rotavirus, still doing research on HIB and Pc), but I don't want to do all the vaccinations at once. I would like to delay HepB until middle school, and Polio until about age 5 since that's not a real threat, if we do that one at all. The only caveat is our baby will be going to day care at 3 months old (in Florida). Is it possible to do a delayed/selective vaccination schedule when day care requires the majority of the vaccinations? I've been reading the Dr. Sears book and, for the most part, the Alternative schedule he presents on page 236 looks good, but I would like to opt out of/delay more. I don't feel comfortable doing a religious exemption because my decision has nothing to do with my faith. Florida doesn't allow philosophical exemptions. Hopefully when we have a second child we'll have our house built and will be in a better financial situation for me to be a stay at home mom and just homestead, at which point the vaccination issue won't be as much of an issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I really doubt it...here is a link to the laws for florida

Florida
Immunization Guidelines Florida Schools, Childcare Facilities, and Family Daycare Homes
http://www.immunizeflorida.org/schoolguide.pdf
text of florida law regarding immunizations
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Family/Sc...e/64D-3046.pdf
Form to opt out of "SHOTS" (State Health Online Tracking System)
http://www.flshots.org/_pdfs/OptOutDH-1478.pdf

Old 07-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, you can selectively vaccinate in Florida and still get a religious exemption. To make things easier on yourself, be sure to opt-out of the state's vaccine tracking system, so the health department will not know you selectively vaccinate when you go to get the exemption form.

You will have to decide if being completely honest with the health department nurse regarding your religious beliefs is more important to you than doing what you think is best for your child.

User Tag List