Caltec Researchers Find Evidence of Link Between Immune Irregularities and Autism - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Press release: http://media.caltech.edu/press_releases/13534

Quote:
[t]he researchers characterized the immune system of the offspring of mothers that had been infected [the researchers injected pregnant mothers with a viral mimic that triggered the same type of immune response a viral infection would] and found that the offspring display a number of immune changes. Some of those changes parallel those seen in people with autism, including decreased levels of regulatory T cells, which play a key role in suppressing the immune response. Taken together, the observed immune alterations add up to an immune system in overdrive—one that promotes inflammation.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Thanks for the link!  

Pro rights (vaxes).
#3 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)

That's interesting. Reading it, it sounded like they're suggesting any immune response in the mother (ie. from an immunization, or actually catching the virus) would have the same result. So the milder reaction from an immunization might be better than getting the full on virus, and if the mothers were immunized pre-pregnancy they'd be less likely to catch a viral infection during the first trimester.

Also it's in mice, and as they say: 

Quote:
The researchers emphasize that because the work was conducted in mice, the results cannot be readily extrapolated to humans

I hope they keep studying this - and wouldn't it be fantastic if (like they seemed to do in the mice) they could find a way to help the immune system back to normal and cure some cases of autism like disorders. 

Does seem indicative to not get flu shots during the first trimester of pregnancy - can anyone remember what's the current advice on that. I think I got mine in second trimester both times, but can't remember why (no autism spectrum in either child). 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The current recommendation in the US is to get a flu shot in pregnancy. At any time it seems as they tried to get me one at 8 weeks, no thank you. TdaP after 20 weeks. I can't find the link that I used to have to a study or paper that was about cytokine reactions in utero, and basically that a flu shot triggers one just like natural infection does. I always felt vaccination in pregnancy isn't explored enough to prove safety and benefits (no longterm studies, no studies of health/mental health of children of vaccinated moms vs. unvaccinated) so I always opted against it and will again if I should ever be pregnant again (most likely nope). Maybe someone with the right link can chime in. I lost all mine when chrome crashed big time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page