Taking our non-vax (mostly) DD on a cruise in September - DH wants to vax. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We haven't done any vaccinations for our DD (4 in Oct) since she was 4mo. We are going on a cruise in September with stops in Haiti, Mexico and Jamaica. DH is freaking out that she isn't vaccinated and wants to do some to prevent disease that he is worried she'll be exposed to on the ship and islands. Clearly I'm anti-vax and he is more pro (though willing to be selective and delay, obviously).  I don't want to expose her to something that may actually kill her or cause irrevocable damage, but I don't want to suddenly jump on the vax ride, either. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

Looking at this schedule (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/downloads/parent-ver-sch-0-6yrs.pdf), I think you're saying your daughter had 2 shots each of Hep B, Rotavirius, DTaP, PCV and IPV. She's "missed" boosters for all of those, so the immunity she gained may have dropped, I don't know how much of an effect that is - others on here (or your doctor!) would be better sources.

In addition she's had no shots for varicella, influenza, MMR, or Hep A. 

Looking at the ones she's not had at all: 

My guess flu not a big deal in the summer/early autumn. Chicken pox would be a nuisance (and the cruise ship might not let you on if she shows spots - I know airlines have that rule as we had a CP scare right before an international flight - turned out to not be CP), but most likely not serious if she's healthy. 

Mexico appears on this map: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/hepatitis-a.htm#2394 as an intermediate risk country for HepA. So this does seem like a plausible concern to me. 

There is a measles note from the CDC over several countries (from which travellers on the ship with you may have come, although not specifically noted in Central America/Caribean)

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/outbreak-notice/measles.htm

To my mind this is the one I'd be most concerned about, and if I were to get a single shot for her it would be MMR (or separate Measles if you can get it). I know very little about mumps if I'm honest (except that I had it as a child). I think rubella is usually quite mild in children (just can have tragic consequences if they transmit it to a pregnant women who's not protected). So in terms of your daughters health it's only measles I'd be concerned about. 

Anyway just some thoughts from me. Hope it's helpful in your decision. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 4 Old 07-27-2012, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)

dbl post

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 4 Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)

I would look at the prevalence of VPD's in ports of call.

Here is a map I found to get you started.

http://www.cfr.org/interactives/GH_Vaccine_Map/#map

In all probability you will be back home before any disease pops up in the unlikely event you get something, so that is good.

I imagine you will only be off the ship for a few hours at a time, and will most likely be sightseeing/doing excursions.  I think there is fairly little chance you will catch anything from locals at ports-of-call.

I did have an internal debate with myself on Hep shots when I went to Cuba for a week.  I did decide against it, but know people who got Hep A and B (twinrix?) shots.   I would research Hep A  - here is a vaccine-questionning  site to get you started:

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/Hepatitis-A.aspx

Here is what the CDC has to say:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/hepa.pdf

Have a great trip - and I hope you and DH come to an informed agreement you both can support!

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page