vaccines improperly stored affect effectiveness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)

I thought this article was interesting:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/government-report-finds-doctors-storing-vaccines-improperly/story?id=16501077#.UBgbNI6RB7E

"The investigation found that 76 percent of the providers stored the vaccines at temperatures that were either too hot or too cold. They also found that 13 providers stored expired vaccines along with nonexpired vaccines. In addition, they said they found that none of the providers properly managed the vaccines according to VFC program requirements."

I do not vaccinate - if I did I would be really ticked that vaccines are being handled in a cavalier way, and may not be as effective as they should be.

edited to add:  original source here:

http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-04-10-00430.asp

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Good idea to ask about storage practices if you vaccinate, then. thumb.gif

Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)

But why would we expect doctors and nurses to know whether or not they are storing vaccines properly, when they don't even seem to know that the package insert of the flu shot says that "safety/efficacy has not been determined in geriatric and pediatric populations?"  Or that the flu shot is pregnancy category C--which means only to give if it is known that the benefits outweigh the risks?

I don't think that asking about storage practices is going to tell you anything.  My experience with both doctors and nurses is that none of them actually know what is in vaccines.  In 2004, I was told by a pediatric nurse that ALL vaccines were thimerosal-free--just as she was about to give my daughter a thimerosal-preserved shot, drawn from a multi-dose vial.  I had a pediatrician tell me that thimerosal is perfectly safe, that I was confusing it with methylmercury, and that thimerosal had been proven safe.  He had no idea that the only safety testing on thimerosal was done by Eli Lilly in the 1920s, and that all the patients died.

These were well-educated, caring medical professionals.  But they didn't know what they were dealing with, and I have no reason to believe that anything has changed since then.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

But why would we expect doctors and nurses to know whether or not they are storing vaccines properly, when they don't even seem to know that the package insert of the flu shot says that "safety/efficacy has not been determined in geriatric and pediatric populations?"  Or that the flu shot is pregnancy category C--which means only to give if it is known that the benefits outweigh the risks?

I don't think that asking about storage practices is going to tell you anything.  My experience with both doctors and nurses is that none of them actually know what is in vaccines.  In 2004, I was told by a pediatric nurse that ALL vaccines were thimerosal-free--just as she was about to give my daughter a thimerosal-preserved shot, drawn from a multi-dose vial.  I had a pediatrician tell me that thimerosal is perfectly safe, that I was confusing it with methylmercury, and that thimerosal had been proven safe.  He had no idea that the only safety testing on thimerosal was done by Eli Lilly in the 1920s, and that all the patients died.

These were well-educated, caring medical professionals.  But they didn't know what they were dealing with, and I have no reason to believe that anything has changed since then.
We certainly know at my practice. The fridge is calibrated with internal and external thermometers. We check them and log the results twice a day. The vaccines need to be distributed in a certain way throughout the fridge and they have to be a certain distance from the walls of the fridge.

This is a fair question to ask at any practice, and they should know the answer.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

It's a valid question and you can not automatically believe the worst at all times. 

User Tag List