Texas Vaccine Exemption Disclosure requirements? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I read recently on the NVIC website that Texas schools are legally required to disclose exemption information to the public.

Does anyone know about this, and where it is written in the law? I am unable to find it, and I haven't heard back from Dawn Richardson yet.

Thanks!

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#2 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If it is true, it wouldn't include names. It would just be the number of kids in the school. I know California does the same thing, for kindergartens with over 10 children.

#3 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

It was in the context of schools disclosing the existence of exemptions to parents.

#4 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 04:33 PM

We have an exemption for our eldest child who attends public school in Texas. AFAIK, NO notification went out to the class about there being a vaccine exempt child in the classroom. For all I know there could have been others in her class. When someone in another class in her grade came down with a confirmed case of chicken pox, everyone got an email AND a robo-call from the school nurse letting us know, but nothing was said about vaccine exemptions.

The only thing that was said to us was at registration when we handed in the exemption form - the nurse said that if there was an epidemic, we might have to prove immunity or vaccination status if our child wanted to continue attending school. I said we'd cross that bridge if we came to it, and nothing else has been mentioned.

#5 of 6 Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgee View Post

We have an exemption for our eldest child who attends public school in Texas. AFAIK, NO notification went out to the class about there being a vaccine exempt child in the classroom. For all I know there could have been others in her class. When someone in another class in her grade came down with a confirmed case of chicken pox, everyone got an email AND a robo-call from the school nurse letting us know, but nothing was said about vaccine exemptions.

The only thing that was said to us was at registration when we handed in the exemption form - the nurse said that if there was an epidemic, we might have to prove immunity or vaccination status if our child wanted to continue attending school. I said we'd cross that bridge if we came to it, and nothing else has been mentioned.

You're misunderstanding what I mean.  Dawn Richardson said on the NVIC website  that Texas requires schools and health authorities to disclose the existence of exemptions to parents.  So when parents go to register, the school is legally supposed to tell them that they can turn in an exemption in place of shot records.

#6 of 6 Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgee View Post

Oh, and P.S.

Did the school make your child stay home during the chicken pox outbreak?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page