Let's face it - the whooping cough vaccine is a flop - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 08-12-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The CDC, can't blame the non vaxers for the outbreaks, the vaccine, from the CDC Press briefing transcript on the pertussis epidemic in WA:

Dr Anne Schuchat, CDC director for the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases:

"We know there are places around the country where there are large numbers of people who aren't vaccinated. However, we don't think those exemptors are driving this current wave. We think it is a bad thing that people aren't getting vaccinated or exempting, but we cannot blame this wave on that phenomenon. Next question"

Here is the full transcript:

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2012/t0719_pertussis_epidemic.html

I highly recommending reading this chapter on Whooping Cough from Hilary Butler's book, "From One Prick to Another, because the reason why adults and children are spreading pertussis is because they were vaccinated in the first place. It can be accessed as a download from this article.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 51 Old 08-12-2012, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've seen this before. The CDC has been admitting for awhile that pertussis outbreaks have nothing to do with unvaccinated people.

But I'm wondering, why is the CDC admitting that unvaccinated people aren't to blame? Is it because the evidence is so obvious, that they don't want to look like fools saying otherwise?

#4 of 51 Old 08-13-2012, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

But I'm wondering, why is the CDC admitting that unvaccinated people aren't to blame? Is it because the evidence is so obvious, that they don't want to look like fools saying otherwise?

Or maybe they're actually telling the truth as they see it based on the evidence they've collected - maybe they are in other things too.... 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#5 of 51 Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

What I read was that these pertussis cases are caused by B. parapertussis. The regular pertussis vaccine does not work. Wanna bet the next vaccine that comes out on the market will cover B. parapertussis as well.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#6 of 51 Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM

I couldn't agree more. I wrote about it on another thread, but it didn't get much attention. I don't know how it hasn't been removed/revamped or something by now. Here's the evidence I collected:

From the CDC Pink Book:

Pertussis incidence has been gradually increasing since the early 1980s. A total of 25,827 cases was reported in 2004, the largest number since 1959. The reasons for the increase are not clear.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/pert.html

I'm not familiar with this site, but I read most of the links- they are just news reports discussing pertussis outbreaks among vaccinated individuals and areas with high vaccine coverage:

http://www.dailypaul.com/167931/a-collection-of-mainstream-news-reports-and-studies-exploding-the-whooping-cough-vaccine-myth

Our results indicate that children ages 5-6 years and possibly younger, ages 2-3 years, play a role as silent reservoirs in the transmission of pertussis in the community. More studies are needed to find the immunologic basis of protection against infection and colonization and thus an effective way to eradicate pertussis.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/414768_3

Vaccination Coverage over the last 30 years or so shows that the coverage has been high, between 94-96% since 1994:

http://apps.who.int/ghodata/?vid=80100

Disease Rates:

http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/surv-reporting.html

Year Reported Cases*
2000 7,867
2001 7,580
2002 9,771
2003 11,647
2004 25,827
2005 25,616
2006 15,632
2007 10,454
2008 13,278
2009 16,858
2010 27,550
2011** 15,216

*Total reported cases include those with unknown age.
**2011 data are provisional

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#7 of 51 Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It makes you 9-23 times less likely to get whooping cough. What a flop.
prosciencemum likes this.
#8 of 51 Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

What I read was that these pertussis cases are caused by B. parapertussis. The regular pertussis vaccine does not work. Wanna bet the next vaccine that comes out on the market will cover B. parapertussis as well.

That's what I thought too, based on how the CDC is acting. But out of the nearly 300 new vaccines currently in development, none are for parapertussis.

http://www.phrma.org/sites/default/files/2251/vaccines2012.pdf

#9 of 51 Old 08-14-2012, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Or maybe they're actually telling the truth as they see it based on the evidence they've collected - maybe they are in other things too.... 

CDC's statement that unvaxed aren't to blame seems to contradict the oft-repeated claim that unvaxeds put others at risk. 

So - which statement is true?  Or, is it only for pertusis that unvaxeds do - not - put others at risk?  Or is it something entirely different?

Pro rights (vaxes).
#10 of 51 Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMunchkin View Post

CDC's statement that unvaxed aren't to blame seems to contradict the oft-repeated claim that unvaxeds put others at risk. 

So - which statement is true?  Or, is it only for pertusis that unvaxeds do - not - put others at risk?  Or is it something entirely different?

i dont think the CDC even knows what their own stance on this issue is...it changes from week to week to fit the current disease trend in the news

#11 of 51 Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

What year is that data from?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#12 of 51 Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)

This Cochrane review published in March 2012 (http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD001478/acellular-vaccines-for-preventing-whooping-cough-in-children) gives the efficacy of pertussiss vaccines to protect against the disease, separated into serious and mild whooping cough. Efficacy is related to how much less likely you are to get the disease if you have the vaccine than if you are unvaccinated. 

They say: 

Quote:
The efficacy of multi-component (≥ three) acellular vaccines varied from 84% to 85% in preventing typical whooping cough (characterised by 21 or more consecutive days of paroxysmal cough with confirmation of B. pertussis infection by culture, appropriate serology or contact with a household member who has culture-confirmed pertussis) and from 71% to 78% in preventing mild pertussis disease

Translating those percentage efficacies into how much more likely a vaccinated person is to get the disease than unvaccinated (which if you do the math is 1/(1-E/100) where E is the percent values above) I get from these numbers that a vaccinated person is 6-7 less likely to get a serious case of the disease following confirmed exposure, and 3.5-5 times less likely to get a mild version. 

Not exactly the same numbers as Rrrachel, but making the same point - it's not a flop, in that it will reduce your risk of catching whooping cough if you are exposed, and particularly reduces the risk of getting a serious case. Be nice if those efficacies were higher of course. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#13 of 51 Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

This Cochrane review published in March 2012 (http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD001478/acellular-vaccines-for-preventing-whooping-cough-in-children) gives the efficacy of pertussiss vaccines to protect against the disease, separated into serious and mild whooping cough. Efficacy is related to how much less likely you are to get the disease if you have the vaccine than if you are unvaccinated. 

They say: 

Translating those percentage efficacies into how much more likely a vaccinated person is to get the disease than unvaccinated (which if you do the math is 1/(1-E/100) where E is the percent values above) I get from these numbers that a vaccinated person is 6-7 less likely to get a serious case of the disease following confirmed exposure, and 3.5-5 times less likely to get a mild version. 

Not exactly the same numbers as Rrrachel, but making the same point - it's not a flop, in that it will reduce your risk of catching whooping cough if you are exposed, and particularly reduces the risk of getting a serious case. Be nice if those efficacies were higher of course. 

But the studies in that review were up to January 2012 (and I couldn't tell from the abstract what dates the data were actually from), and with concerns that the bacterium has mutated, those numbers may not be accurate.

#14 of 51 Old 08-15-2012, 12:28 PM

Flop or not, the bottomline is their expectation is off and they don't know why yet.

kathymuggle likes this.

Pro rights (vaxes).
#15 of 51 Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Sanofi Pasteur is one of two pharmaceutical companies that supply pertussis vaccines to the U.S. In an email the company said it has new pertussis vaccines in late-stage clinical trials, some of which are being studied for use in the U.S. Sanofi also maintains that as a class, its pertussis vaccines are 80 to 85 percent effective.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/aug/15/whooping-cough-vaccine-failures-increasing/

What do you know!

So in this article they are actually aiming for yet another booster shot (No. 7). If a little is good, more is better - or what!  I am just wondering because pertussis is always combined with tetanus and diphtheria. I have read that one can get overdosed/ overvaccinated with the tetanus component. Does anybody here know of such thing or can provide further data for me. That would be nice.

―Socrates

#16 of 51 Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 PM

I had to take a vaccine class for work and remember learning about arthus type reactions after a tetanus shot, it is associated with receiving too many tetanus boosters in too short a time. If you google arthus reactions after tetanus shot you get a lot of links, mainly to provaccine sites. Of course say all say this phemomenon is "rare." eyesroll.gif
#17 of 51 Old 08-15-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I'm sorry, but with all the figures I posted, I cannot wrap my mind around how anyone can believe it works. You can look at studies that tout the efficacy, but you can also look around you. The disease rates are going up, not down, all while vaccine rates are increasing. I do not believe that all vaccines do not work- I think they carry a lot more risk than it appears, but I don't think as a whole they do not do their job...but yes, Rachel, the whooping cough vaccine IS a flop, or the components of pertussis have changed, something. Otherwise, there would be less people getting it, not more. Read those newspaper articles I linked...outbreaks in areas with nearly 100% vaccination coverage.

http://www.dailypaul.com/167931/a-collection-of-mainstream-news-reports-and-studies-exploding-the-whooping-cough-vaccine-myth

SAN DIEGO — A KPBS investigation has raised questions about how effective the whooping cough vaccine is in preventing people from getting sick. Nearly two out of three people diagnosed with whooping cough in San Diego County this year, were fully immunized....

KPBS examined data from San Diego County’s Health and Human Services Agency. Of the 332 confirmed cases of whooping cough in the county so far this year, 197 of the people who got sick were up to date with their immunizations. That's nearly 2 out of 3 cases.

If I told you I had a cure for the common cold, and people took my medicine, yet still had colds....would you not think I was wrong, no matter what the studies said?

Mirzam likes this.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#18 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 08:06 AM

Interesting, an article that doesn't outright blame non-vaxer's.  

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/08/16/why-whooping-cough-is-back/

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#19 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Another commentary on the pertussis situation:

Whooping Cough: Under-Diagnosed or Coming Back? Here are the Facts

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#20 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 11:53 AM

In fact an interesting article can be found in ‘Emerging Infections Diseases Vol. 6, No. 5, September-October 2000,’ that states that recently vaccinated adults can infect unprotected infants.
via.pngWV Outpost (http://s.tt/1cno9)

―Socrates

#21 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Acellular pertussis vaccination enhances B. parapertussis colonization 

Quote:
Despite widespread vaccination, whooping cough incidence is on the rise worldwide, making it the only vaccine-preventable disease associated with increasing deaths in the United States. Although this disease is most often attributed to Bordetella pertussis infection, it is also caused by the closely related pathogen, B. parapertussis. However, B. pertussis has remained the center of attention, whereas B. parapertussishas been greatly overlooked in the development of whooping cough vaccines.

#22 of 51 Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 PM

One vax begets another. 

It reminds me when one takes a medication, and sometimes has to take a few others to deal with the side effects of the first one - granted there's usually a need for the first one. 

For a given vax, sometimes the issue is not only of safety but also of its necessity.  

As an aside, for Hib, aren't there 6 distinct types and the vax is only for type b? I wonder how the different types interact, if at all - could something similar happen, or not?  Also, Gardasil - it targets only some types of HPV, doesn't it?

Pro rights (vaxes).
#23 of 51 Old 08-17-2012, 04:20 AM

So we all know what is going to happen should big pharma produce a vaccine containing both B. pertussis and B. parapertussis. Instead of these two another maybe more serious pathogen will colonize the vaccated space. Nature is bound to do so. So with all these vaccines we are just going to make matters worth and not any better. But humans just have to be so stubborn. Observe and learn and do not try to fit it in with your own theory. (see Pasteur, Koch etc.)

―Socrates

#24 of 51 Old 08-18-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMunchkin View Post

One vax begets another. 

It reminds me when one takes a medication, and sometimes has to take a few others to deal with the side effects of the first one - granted there's usually a need for the first one. 

For a given vax, sometimes the issue is not only of safety but also of its necessity.  

As an aside, for Hib, aren't there 6 distinct types and the vax is only for type b? I wonder how the different types interact, if at all - could something similar happen, or not?  Also, Gardasil - it targets only some types of HPV, doesn't it?

yes gardasil only covers 4 strains

#25 of 51 Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Whooping cough and chameleons

Quote:
I can tell you now and so can whole generations who had whooping cough naturally..., that natural immunity to whooping cough lasts a WHOLE lot longer than immunity from EITHER the whole cell or acellular vaccine does. There are many medical articles which confirm that.  I can also tell you now, that the majority of carriers are VACCINATED people whose immunity to whooping cough is dysfunctional, because of “original antigenic sin” – a situation where the doctor-induced immunity doesn’t prevent either carriage or reinfection. 

#26 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 01:49 PM

This is what I've been thinking! 

I have a newborn on the way and a 3 yr old, and thought oh gosh, theres pertussis outbreaks all over Canada right now....I know how i feel about vaccines, but should I? 

Then I saw the link on the mothering page for the pertussis video (the link didnt work) however i was googling a bit, and thought the same thing

Well, if the vaccine works, why is there an outbreak? Because of all us "crazy jenny mccarthy reading nuts" dont vaccinate? I know we got some numbers behind us, but theres not that many of us 

I notice when we watch American channels (like cbs, etc) there are SO many vaccine and med advertisements, it is not like that on regular canadian tv at all. I saw one for the chicken pox today, with this old guy saying how painful shingles can be, its like an Apple iphone ads

"There's a vaccine for that"

I would never ever trust pharmaceutical companies for reliability, safety or truth

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#27 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Hey CanadianHippie,

I found this online that might interest you:

http://www.oahpp.ca/resources/documents/presentations/2012aug10/Pertussis%20webinar%20-%2008.10.12%20Final.pdf

It looks like there are projected to be 6 cases of confirmed pertussis in Ontario this year per 100 000 population.  1 in 16 000.  Pg. 9.

It also looks like there was a change in 2009 to include probable cases in statistics.  Hmmmmm…..

This site says there were 277 cases of whooping cough last year.  12 million (population of Ontario) divided by 277 is about 1 in 43 000

1 in 16 000  to 1 in 43 000 is not nothing - but the way the media goes on, you would think pertussis was everywhere…...

good luck deciding,

kathy

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#28 of 51 Old 09-09-2012, 09:38 AM

http://www.cbs8.com/story/19479083/2-whooping-cough-cases-reported-at-san-diego-county-schools

I find it interesting that one of the commentors wants to vaccinate everybody each year with the whooping cough vaccine. But isn't it always combined with TD? So I am just wondering what the result of overvaccinating esp. for Tetanus would be? Any input here please

―Socrates

#29 of 51 Old 09-09-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva23 View Post

http://www.cbs8.com/story/19479083/2-whooping-cough-cases-reported-at-san-diego-county-schools

I find it interesting that one of the commentors wants to vaccinate everybody each year with the whooping cough vaccine. But isn't it always combined with TD? So I am just wondering what the result of overvaccinating esp. for Tetanus would be? Any input here please

I love this:

"Both students were up-to-date on immunizations.

County health officials urge all parents to get their children vaccinated."

Makes total sense.

BeckyBird likes this.

#30 of 51 Old 09-09-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

I love this:

"Both students were up-to-date on immunizations.

County health officials urge all parents to get their children vaccinated."

Makes total sense.

Makes sense when you want to contract whooping cough

―Socrates

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page