Ad for oil of oregano in/ vaccine controversy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/b-c-health-officials-company-touting-oregano-oil-193627884.html

What do you think?

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Thank you for the article Kathy.

First of all, I must work through my feelings of anger and frustration. Like the US, it appears in Canada you have the rule that only a drug can cure or prevent disease. For someone whose first choice of medicine is NOT allopathic, but naturopathic, I consider this to be a crime. There are many nutritional therapies that are superior to chemical allopathic therapies. It is a crime against humanity to withhold this information, and the allopathic-controlled medical system is a disgrace.

"Enerex Botanicals Ltd. of Burnaby, B.C., touted oregano oil as "the natural way to help combat whooping cough". Good for you, Enerex. Shame on you, British Columbian government!

"Spokesman Dr. Paul Van Buynder said there's no evidence oregano oil can replace a whooping cough vaccine and the ad could encourage people to decide against vaccination."

Why no evidence? Because there are no pharma-funded studies, duh!!! So, because there's no "official evidence", then I guess it means the remedy does not work?!?!?!?! Neither logical nor scientific. Lack of study does not equal ineffective remedy. Here's an idea--do a study. Wait, nobody wants to fund the study, because you can't heavily profit from oregano oil? You say only patented drugs bring in the big bucks? Hmmm. And human health care continues to degrade while billions are earned.

This is where we must rely on anecdotes, which, yes, can be risky at times. However at this point, I find the risk is greater when following allopathic advice.

I have used Oil of Oregano with great results. From my own experience, it is amazing. Powerful. I bought a bottle last fall when I had a small cold. Nothing major, just a stuffy nose and scratchy throat. One drop of oil under the tongue, and my nose cleared almost instantly. When my nose stuffed up again a few hours later, I used another drop of oil. After about a day, the stuffiness went away and the scratchy throat did not develop into a sore throat. Illness averted!

Throughout the year, I'll use the oil when I feel necessary. With a son in school, we are inevitably exposed to illness throughout the year. Any time I don't feel right, I use a drop of oil under the tongue. I urge all of you to buy a bottle and see for yourselves. I am so happy to report that I have not gotten sick at ALL this past year, and neither have my children. I'm not sure if this is because of the oil, or the Braggs apple cider vinegar, or my vitamin/mineral supplements, pure water, eating a healthy diet, or maybe the combination of everything, but we are seeing dramatic results.

So, thank you Kathy for the article. Oil of Oregano is one of my favorite remedies because it actually works. It's right up there with organic apple cider vinegar!  Please, everyone reading this, invest a few dollars and get a bottle of oil of oregano. It will last a long time, and you can even give it to kids (dilute it for kids, because it is strong!)  For adults, place one single drop under the tongue, and try to hold it there for as long as you can, around a minute. Then, drink a little water to wash it down, because the oil is potent. I PROMISE you, it will help. If you are going to buy any vitamin or supplement but can't decide, this is the one.

If anybody has tried oil of oregano, I would love to hear if it worked for you. While there are no scientific studies to support these claims, there are many anecdotes just like this! 

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#3 of 11 Old 09-04-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the testimonial, Becky!

I read a few comments underneath and saw the video where the pharmacist admitted it was good for respiratory infections, and wondered if oil of oregano was something to add to my medicine cabinet.

It would be funny and not surprising if this kerfuffle actually increased interest in oil of oregano.  

I am going to try and hunt down the original ad (tomorrow - it is sleepy time here on the East coast).  

Kathy

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 11 Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

I could not find the original Ad.

I have found lots of news reports on it  - and the objectionable words seem to be thus:

"A newspaper ad ran last week in the Vancouver Sun and Vancouver Province newspapers by Enerex Botanicals Ltd. of Burnaby, B.C., touted oregano oil as "the natural way to help combat whooping cough," according to The Canadian Press.

The ad depicts the supplement next to a broken vaccine needle with the caption: "It's nice to know that vaccines aren't the only choice to combat this highly contagious bacterial disease."

I could see the medical officer getting annoyed if the ad said "do not vaccinate" but that does not seem to be the case.  The whole demanding a retraction seems over the top to me - and smacks, somewhat, of censorship.

I found this comment by the medical examiner to be somewhat condescending:

"We were worried that there were going to be parents and people out in the general community that, rather than listening to our message about vaccinating and protecting children, would use oil of oregano and then be exposed to the risks of this disease," Van Buynder told CP.

Really?  I do not think anyone is going to be swayed for or against vaccination by one ad.  eyesroll.gif

I went to the Enerex website (the company that placed the ad) and noticed their tagline was designed without  compromise.  I sincerely hope they keep to that.  I have no issues with rewording thing if they can do it and still keep their message intact - but they should not back down.

http://www.enerex.ca/en

BeckyBird likes this.

#5 of 11 Old 09-05-2012, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I use oil of oregano all the time. The stuff is the bomb!

BeckyBird likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone else see the irony in this thread? 

#7 of 11 Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mAMama! View Post

Does anyone else see the irony in this thread? 

That they wanted to shut down conversation on oil of oregano and instead they have promoted it? That is the irony I see.  I had barely heard of "oil of oregano" before this, and now it is on a number of news sites.

#8 of 11 Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

That they wanted to shut down conversation on oil of oregano and instead they have promoted it? That is the irony I see.  I had barely heard of "oil of oregano" before this, and now it is on a number of news sites.

The irony I see is that there are a paucity of studies (rigorous or otherwise) examining the effectiveness of oil of oregano on disease prevention and treatment, or dosage and safety; which are often-cited reasons for parents deciding not to use vaccines. 

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#9 of 11 Old 09-07-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

The irony I see is that there are a paucity of studies (rigorous or otherwise) examining the effectiveness of oil of oregano on disease prevention and treatment, or dosage and safety; which are often-cited reasons for parents deciding not to use vaccines. 

The major difference being that oregano is natural, and therefore has been tested by Nature.

What I dislike are the "improved" versions of oil of oregano, when I'd prefer to keep it as natural as possible.
#10 of 11 Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

First, I am not sure your statement is true.  A really quick look online showed some studies that support the use of oil of oregano for some things.

However, let's assume for a moment their are a scarcity of good studies:

If a non-vaxxers only chooses not to vax based on scarcity of studies, but uses oil of oregano, there is a bit of irony there.

If a pro-vaxxers refuses to use oil of oregano because of lack of good studies, but vaccinates despite lack of good studies, that is also ironic.

Of course, vax decisions often come down to more than just availability of good studies.  The issue is very complicated.

Oil of oregano does not seem to have many studies or anecdotes that show nasty/permanent side effects if used appropriately; the same cannot be said for vaccines.  

Marnica and BeckyBird like this.

#11 of 11 Old 09-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Here's a question:

Is there more literature about the adverse effects of the DPT/ DTaP /TDaP,  or is there more literature about the adverse effects of oregano oil?

MaggieLC likes this.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page