Petition to make Government Agencies Responsible for Notifying US Citizens about Preventable Disease Epidemics - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Looks like a good idea - someone (CDC, or Dept of Health are suggested) should be required to notify parents of epidemics/outbreaks of preventable diseases so they can make appropriate choices to protect their children. 

http://www.change.org/petitions/silence-kills-wa-send-epidemic-warning-to-citizens-kaliah-s-law

Prompts me to look up the rules in the UK - I think the NHS probably would do this (at least get it on the BBC news which is as good as). 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#2 of 6 Old 09-10-2012, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think I understand. I know that the news frequently carries stories on the influenza rates, food poisoning, listeriosis, etc., based on either publically available data or from health department press releases like this one. If anything, I think local agencies have been overwhelmingly proactive in providing information on disease incidences, particularly vaccine-available ones, even long before it reaches "outbreak" levels. In fact, media hype is a frequent complaint on the INV board.

I'm all for disseminating information, but it this case I think the information is readily available already. I think a post card requirement would contribute more to the health of the post office than that of the citizens. shrug.gif
BeckyBird likes this.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 6 Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'd be all for it if it would motivate parents to make sure their kids were getting probiotics, vitamin D, and and enough vitamin C and vitamin A. And making sure they're getting enough sleep, exercise, eating fresh, healthy foods, and drinking enough water. Maybe they could include that preventative health information on the post cards, and also warn about Tylenol at the same time. And also inform parents that trying to lower fever with medication is generally not a good idea. 

Do you think they could fit all that on a postcard?

Many states already have laws requiring schools to notify parents of an outbreak in the school of a specific list of diseases ("preventable" or not).

BeckyBird likes this.
#4 of 6 Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I don't think the point is to disseminate information, they're readily available as pointed out (at least in the US).  I don't know what the point is but some possible side effects are to disseminate fear and to blame non-vaxers.

From Kennetha Scott, the petition organizer (in the comment section of the link):
"With 8.2 percent of all adults in the nation UNKNOWINGLY UNVACCINATED, we wonder why we are having epidemics! ..."

The fact that he/she believes that nonvaxers pose risks to others - absolute nonstarter for me.

Pro rights (vaxes).
#5 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
How about if they start by notifying the public that Merck is accused by its own scientist of lying about the efficacy of the mumps portion of the MMR, and actively covering up the data that showed it was less effective than what was needed?

Then they can notify the public of how many cases of SIDS occur within 24-48 hours of vaccination, and how aluminum in vaccines contributes to autoimmune disorders, and how ineffective pertussis and flu shots are, and how the Italian government conceded that the MMR caused autism. They can also disclose how many cases in the US have been conceded regarding vaccine-induced brain damage, lupus, and other autoimmune disorders.

Yeah, it's amazing how the propaganda for vaccines just leaves all that information out...
Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.
#6 of 6 Old 09-18-2012, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Personally I'd prefer to get information from the government (via postcard if they like - they didn't mention sending them through the postoffice) than filtered by the media. 

Seems like a lot of concern among members of this over notifying the public over the incidences of VPDs. That surprises me. Surely that's a valid piece of information to include in any debate over the risks/benefits of vaccination. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page