Few pediatric adverse events tied to 2009 H1N1 vaccine - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Interesting study: http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/swineflu/news/sep0612adverse.html

Headline:

Few pediatric adverse events tied to 2009 H1N1 vaccine

Experts who carefully studied 99 adverse events reported in children after they received the H1N1 influenza vaccine during the 2009 pandemic concluded that most of the events were unrelated to the vaccine and left no lingering effects

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#2 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The study is thoroughly flawed!

Only 2.5% of the events reported were studied. A very small selectiom.

Of the 99 events studied, 16 had received other vaccinations the same day! These should never have been included. That's 16% of what was studied.

The types of vaccines varied. 5 were unknown, 68 inactivated, and 26 live-altenuated. Reactions for live and inactivated would be different, as the process and ingredients would differ. And 5 unknown?

And why report 38% were girls, when that means 62% were boys? Why not report the higher percentage.

The article specifies 16 definately OR probably related to the vaccine. Why not split them apart? That is 16% related.

21 were possibly related. That's 21%. So far, 37% are at least probably related

43 unlikely to be related.

17 specified as unrelated. That's only 17% unrelated! A rather small percentage!

2 were unclassifiable. The experts were stumped.

I haven't gotten a lot of sleep this past week, so please check my math. But even accepting the small percentage studied, only 17% were defined as unrelated. That wouldn't comfort me much.
#3 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That article is not reassurring in the least!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 8 Old 09-11-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

At least it shows it's being studied by the CDC. 

It was a bit of a confusing article I agree - with the amount of numbers presented I would have preferred them to just present the actual data! ;) 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#5 of 8 Old 09-11-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

It was a bit of a confusing article I agree - with the amount of numbers presented I would have preferred them to just present the actual data! wink1.gif 
Do you mean something like :
"Reaction 1; female; live; possibly related;none
Reaction 2; male; live; possibly related;one
...."
and list each reaction number;gender;type of vaccine;relationship;;other vaccinations?
#6 of 8 Old 09-11-2012, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

) Interesting.
Quote:

What is particularly interesting to you--the fact that they came to a conclusion that supports the vaccine, in spite if the glaring flaws in the study (and in spite of the children who are being compensated in Finland and Australia for vaccine-induced narcolepsy, a lifetime condition)?

Or the fact that "at least it's being studied by the CDC" in spite of the fact that it's such a severely flawed study, it's literally worthless?
#7 of 8 Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 AM

I was with the Canadian Military in 2009, and was ordered to get the H1N1 shot.  I had an adverse reaction to the vaccine which included PERMANENT neurological, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, and respiratory symptoms.  It's difficult to believe but I now have dizziness, vertigo, irregular heart rythyms, shortness of breath, muscle weakness and pain, and numbness moving up my body, to name but a few of the serious symptoms.  I went from special forces fit to that of a 70 year old in a matter of days.  Please choose wisely if you do plan to have your next flu shot or vaccination.  You may also ask your doctor and other Heath care workers if they will be getting these shots.  My doctor flat out said "no way".
#8 of 8 Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord4356 View Post

I was with the Canadian Military in 2009, and was ordered to get the H1N1 shot.  I had an adverse reaction to the vaccine which included PERMANENT neurological, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, and respiratory symptoms.  It's difficult to believe but I now have dizziness, vertigo, irregular heart rythyms, shortness of breath, muscle weakness and pain, and numbness moving up my body, to name but a few of the serious symptoms.  I went from special forces fit to that of a 70 year old in a matter of days.  Please choose wisely if you do plan to have your next flu shot or vaccination.  You may also ask your doctor and other Heath care workers if they will be getting these shots.  My doctor flat out said "no way".

I actually don't find it hard top believe at all. Im so sorry you are having to deal with this. Wishing you the best!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page