Pertussis vaccine - the knocks keep on coming! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Now it has been shown that immunity declines by 42% after the fifth dose. But they are still blaming the unvaccinated.

http://therefusers.com/refusers-newsroom/pertussis-vaccine-is-defective-dont-blame-the-refusers-for-pertussis-outbreaks-new-england-journal-of-medicine/

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1200850?query=featured_home&

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 19 Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where were they blaming the unvaccinated?

Still 42%/year? That's a lot!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 19 Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

Where were they blaming the unvaccinated?

Still 42%/year? That's a lot!

From the article:

Quote:

Medscape quotes a doctor who works for vaccine manufacturers (Michael Pichichero, MD, professor in pediatrics, University of Rochester Medical Center, New York)  ‘Due to the vaccine practices of too many parents in California and the well-intentioned but misguided cooperation by healthcare providers, it may also be that the California pertussis outbreaks are due in part also to the lack of sufficient herd immunity to provide population protection’ 

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 19 Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

If the protection of the vaccine declines by 42% each year and assuming that the protection after receiving the vaccine is only between 59% - 89%, than the protection declines to 25% - 38% in the second year and to 11% - 16% in the third year and so on. Where is the sense in having that vaccine at all considering the serious side effects.

http://www.immunizationinfo.org/vaccines/pertussis-whooping-cough  This is were I got the 59%  - 89% from.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#5 of 19 Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

"While some parents around the country have taken a stand against childhood vaccines, the outbreak is not being driven by unvaccinated children, according to the CDC. Most of the illnesses are in vaccinated youngsters, officials said."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57511663-10391704/whooping-cough-vaccine-found-to-wane-in-effectiveness-after-age-6/

#6 of 19 Old 09-13-2012, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)

According to the second link (njem.org)

We compared 277 children, 4 to 12 years of age, who were PCR-positive for pertussis with 3318 PCR-negative controls and 6086 matched controls. PCR-positive children were more likely to have received the fifth DTaP dose earlier than PCR-negative controls (P<0.001) or matched controls (P=0.005). Comparison with PCR-negative controls yielded an odds ratio of 1.42 (95% confidence interval, 1.21 to 1.66), indicating that after the fifth dose of DTaP, the odds of acquiring pertussis increased by an average of 42% per year.

I remember reading somewhere (I can find the link if anyone likes)  that there is some speculation that DTaP is only effective for about 3 years, after which everyone should receive boosters.  It will be interesting to see whether society goes along with this or not.  Isn't it contra-indicated to give the tetanus vaccine repeatedly?

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 AM

Better and longer lasting protection would be ideal, but we have to remember this is a vulnerable time of life that gets less hazardous as they get stronger. The kids are at their weakest at the start of the vaccination cycle, and least able to withstand and recover from illness. The threat of severe consequences from getting sick diminishes over time. They need whatever additional protection they can get when they're least able to handle the illness (at the beginning of and throughout the cycle). A few percentage points doesn't look like much on paper, but I'm glad to have whatever additional protection my son can get.

prosciencemum likes this.
#8 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo17 View Post

Better and longer lasting protection would be ideal, but we have to remember this is a vulnerable time of life that gets less hazardous as they get stronger. The kids are at their weakest at the start of the vaccination cycle, and least able to withstand and recover from illness. The threat of severe consequences from getting sick diminishes over time. They need whatever additional protection they can get when they're least able to handle the illness (at the beginning of and throughout the cycle). A few percentage points doesn't look like much on paper, but I'm glad to have whatever additional protection my son can get.

A lovely sentiment - if the vaccine was not implecated in so many adverse reactions. I would like my son to get all the protection he can get as well, but at what cost??

shiningpearl and BeckyBird like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#9 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

A lovely sentiment - if the vaccine was not implecated in so many adverse reactions. I would like my son to get all the protection he can get as well, but at what cost??

Most people experience no or little vaccine reaction. There are examples (including among the children of people posting here) of more serious reactions, but the statistics demonstrate they are rare. So in general you get some protection at no (or very little) cost. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#10 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Most people experience no or little vaccine reaction. There are examples (including among the children of people posting here) of more serious reactions, but the statistics demonstrate they are rare. So in general you get some protection at no (or very little) cost. 

The CDC admits that the statistics are woefully inaccurate, saying only 1-10% of reactions are reported. There are also possible long-term side effects that we are just beginning to understand the implications of. Over half of the children in this country have *now* fairly common auto-immune disorders or are obese. While I don't believe vaccinations are the cause of all of these, I do believe they are a piece of it (compounded by diet, lifestyle, genetics, and other environmental toxins) and even if they are only a major factor 10% of these problems, that is too high for me. 

Marnica and Bokonon like this.

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#11 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I don't believe this for 1 second. Just because it is the regurgitated party line doesn't mean it's true. The statistics reflect a broken system where the vast majority of reactions do not officially get reported. (lets not even get into the potential for long term issues) There are hundreds of thousands of parents whose children have been adversely affected to some degree or another by vaccines. All one has to do is look at the advocay groups and on the internet worldwide to see that something is wrong. It is very convenient to routinely deny the exsitence of adverse reactions (as per the medical community) and then state that the "statistics" state reactions are rare. well duh nut.gif The "statistics" do not support what parents are saying - so do you think that all those parents are liars - or perhaps just a bit misguided?

Mirzam likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#12 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaT View Post

The CDC admits that the statistics are woefully inaccurate, saying only 1-10% of reactions are reported. There are also possible long-term side effects that we are just beginning to understand the implications of. Over half of the children in this country have *now* fairly common auto-immune disorders or are obese. While I don't believe vaccinations are the cause of all of these, I do believe they are a piece of it (compounded by diet, lifestyle, genetics, and other environmental toxins) and even if they are only a major factor 10% of these problems, that is too high for me. 

Can you direct me to that?  Not snark, but I couldn't find it in the few searches I ran.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#13 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I don't believe this for 1 second. Just because it is the regurgitated party line doesn't mean it's true. The statistics reflect a broken system where the vast majority of reactions do not officially get reported. (lets not even get into the potential for long term issues) There are hundreds of thousands of parents whose children have been adversely affected to some degree or another by vaccines. All one has to do is look at the advocay groups and on the internet worldwide to see that something is wrong. It is very convenient to routinely deny the exsitence of adverse reactions (as per the medical community) and then state that the "statistics" state reactions are rare. well duh nut.gif The "statistics" do not support what parents are saying - so do you think that all those parents are liars - or perhaps just a bit misguided?

I agree that statistics are only as good as the data on which they are based.  It is my understanding that anyone can report a vaccine reaction to VAERS....why are parents of children harmed by vaccines not doing that?

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

#14 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

Can you direct me to that?  Not snark, but I couldn't find it in the few searches I ran.

yes, but not until DD goes to sleep- I've read it a few places but don't remember off the top of my head

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

#15 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 04:15 PM

Okay, the original quote "The FDA estimates that only about 10% of adverse reactions are reported (Reported by KM Severyn, R.Ph.D. in the Dayton Daily News, May 28, 1993. Ohio Parents for Vaccine Safety, 251 Ridgeway Dr., Dayton, OH 45459)".  I know I have read it from a more recent source, but cannot find it atm- maybe someone else has it bookmarked? 

This figure is still used by NVIC and is backed up by two studies they did themselves (one of which found that only 1 in 40 NY doctors [2.5%] even reported to VAERS). Those can be found on the NVIC website 

#16 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayfishgirl View Post

I agree that statistics are only as good as the data on which they are based.  It is my understanding that anyone can report a vaccine reaction to VAERS....why are parents of children harmed by vaccines not doing that?

Because many don't understand that they can.  VAERS is not promoted by doctors, since doctors don't like to admit to the existence of vaccine adverse events.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#17 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post

Because many don't understand that they can.  VAERS is not promoted by doctors, since doctors don't like to admit to the existence of vaccine adverse events.

I agree with this.  Many parents don't realize that they should report the reactions instead of their pediatricians, and so many doctors even deny that the reaction was due to the vaccines that parents don't know what to do.  We trust that The Powers That Be have our best interests at heart, until our children are hurt, and then the same powers say that our maternal instincts could not be more wrong, and that the adverse reaction to vaccines/circ/CIO/fill-in-the-blank are all in our heads and/or totally unrelated.

Marnica and BeckyBird like this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#18 of 19 Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the oft-quoted 10% adverse event reporting figure refers to all adverse reactions, not specifically those related to vaccines. That would include mild reactions that don't cause any harm or don't require altering treatment (sleepiness, headache, thirstiness, etc.). Thus, most clinicians probably don't bother reporting. It's the minority of more severe events with long-term effects that tend to get reported most (for obvious reasons).

#19 of 19 Old 09-19-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo17 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, the oft-quoted 10% adverse event reporting figure refers to all adverse reactions, not specifically those related to vaccines. That would include mild reactions that don't cause any harm or don't require altering treatment (sleepiness, headache, thirstiness, etc.). Thus, most clinicians probably don't bother reporting. It's the minority of more severe events with long-term effects that tend to get reported most (for obvious reasons).

Yes, I did also see this number in reference to AERS, but did not quote it because I was looking specifically for VAERS info. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page