Doctors threaten to sue a private school for not offering Gardasil to students - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

http://therefusers.com/refusers-newsroom/doctors-threaten-to-sue-a-private-school-for-not-offering-gardasil-to-students/

Quote:

Vaccine extremists seem to think it is their right to impose forced medication on students, public or private.

Vaccination Uber-alles!

This Catholic school isn’t falling for it – they are standing up for parental rights.

Gee, I wonder who finances HPV Calgary?

Video: Russell Blaylock exposes Gardasil, HPV vaccine fraud.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 19 Old 09-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

"Dr. Juliet Guichon, a member of HPV Calgary, said the group wants to raise $100,000 to hire legal experts to fight the case, on grounds the board may be violating the School Act and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms."

How strange--why don't they just use that money to offer free or reduced cost Gardasil to whoever wants it, outside of a school setting?

#3 of 19 Old 09-16-2012, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Just to clarify, this is not a private school.  It is the entire system of Catholic schools in Calgary, which educates about 1/3 of Calgary's school children.  There is no tuition.  While some funds come from fundraising and from the church, most of it's budget comes from government funds, same as the public system.  

Gardasil is free for school age girls in Alberta, so free or reduced cost vaccines are not needed for this age group.  Neither Gardasil or any other vaccine is required to attend school.  There is no need to get an exemption or a waiver as is required by many states in the US.  Many kids this age don't see a doctor regularly, but even for those who do, doctors here don't typically stock or give vaccines, so it would require a special trip to the health clinic to get it.  The convenience to get it through school certainly seems to have a large impact on uptake rates, according to another article, "after the Edmonton Catholic board allowed girls at its schools to be vaccinated, nearly 70% of them took up the offer. By comparison, the rate among girls in Calgary’s Catholic schools is 18.9%." http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/06/26/187783/

While possible side effects have been mentioned, the primary reason for the Catholic board not wanting to give the vaccine is that they claim it will encourage promiscuity and risky sexual behavior by removing a consequence of sin, and that it is not needed for girls who keep their legs shut until marriage.  There is a quote going around from one bishop involved basically saying that even if not offering the vaccine were to raise the rate of cervical cancer, it is not the school's job to protect students from the consquences should they choose to take walk away from that life.  There is no mention of how women who are sexually assaulted or have cheating spouses should protect themselves.

As for who is funding HPV Calgary, I can't find any info on them, but it seems to be a group of concerned parents and health professionals who came together just to fight his issue.  Since they are looking to raise money for a legal fight, I would guess that they are really being funded by anyone yet - unless someone has more info showing otherwise?  

This fight really is not about the safety of Gardasil.  It is about the right of faith based education to teach their faith and morals vs. the rights of alberta students in government funded schools to have equal information and access in matters of health regardless of whether they are in the public or Catholic systems.  It is similar to the fight currently going on in Ontario where new anti-bullying legislation protects the formation of gay-straight alliances in schools and the Catholic school board there is refusing to implement them as they are against Catholic faith.  

#4 of 19 Old 09-16-2012, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)

Pers is probably right.

That being said, I think if you enrol your child in a Catholic school, you need to expect they are not going to be giving out birth control advice, free condoms, arguing a pro-choice viewpoint or handing out HPV vaccines (which combats a sexually transmitted disease).

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 19 Old 09-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

That being said, I think if you enrol your child in a Catholic school, you need to expect they are not going to be giving out birth control advice, free condoms, arguing a pro-choice viewpoint or handing out HPV vaccines (which combats a sexually transmitted disease).

That would be true if the school were a private school. But it is not. Catholic schools are publicly funded in Canada (a point of strong contention in some provinces). They need to follow provincial public school rules, and lately, Catholic school boards have been rebelling: banning Gay/Straight Alliance clubs in high schools, firing teachers for getting divorces, etc. This is REALLY not okay.

As Perc says, the HPV vaccine is optional, so it only needs to be available to students. Also, the vaccine is free to any teenage girl, and so this isn't a matter of funding. They just need to free up their gym for a day for the vaccine people to come through and excuse the kids who want the vaccine out of class for 5 minutes. But they don't want to do that, and it's not because they're skeptical of the vaccine. It's because they feel like cancer is a fitting punishment for any young woman who shows sexual agency.

pers likes this.
#6 of 19 Old 09-16-2012, 10:50 AM

Actually, I want to add that you should probably change the title of this thread, since the school is not a private one. The link in your post shows a misunderstanding of the Canadian school system.

#7 of 19 Old 09-16-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

That would be true if the school were a private school. But it is not. Catholic schools are publicly funded in Canada (a point of strong contention in some provinces).  

I am aware of this.  I am from Ontario.   They are a publicly funded Catholic school board and as such they do stuff a little differently, including how they approach sexuality issues.  A quick glance at their home page proves they're different :  http://www.cssd.ab.ca/default.asp?V_ITEM_ID=179  To sign your kids up for Catholic school and then protest that the HPV vaccine, which is designed to protect against a sexually transmitted disease, is not available in the Catholic school seems a little strange to me.   

They need to follow provincial public school rules, 

One provincial rule is that no one needs to be vaccinated to attend school in Alberta.  They are not under any obligation to provide vaccines in the schools.  Is it a rule schools must provide HPV (or any vaccine) in Calgary?  If so-link please.  Personally, I suspect not.  

As Perc says, the HPV vaccine is optional, so it only needs to be available to students.  

It's because they feel like cancer is a fitting punishment for any young woman who shows sexual agency.

Good grief.  They think giving them the HPV vaccine will promote promiscuity (I think they are out to lunch, btw). I doubt they think "cancer is a fitting punishment for those who are promiscuous."  That is pretty assumptive.

You can read what they write about HPV vaccines here - it is pretty boring, though.

http://www.cssd.ab.ca/files/parent_resources/hpv/HPV_FAQs.pdf

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#8 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 AM

"They think giving them the HPV vaccine will promote promiscuity"

Okay, you said the same thing I said, but a little more gently. ;) They think any kind of preventative measure for an infection that can be transmitted through sexual activity will promote promiscuity, yes. Why? Because sex, according to them, has natural consequences--it comes with a set of appropriate punishments. If we make sex punishment-free, what will stop all these teenagers from boinking each other? What can we say to scare them in sex ed class, if we can't threaten horrible death by cancer anymore? OH NO

#9 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Catholic Church has had that stand on sexuality for as long as I can remember. It goes along with no birth control. And no divorce. Fortunately, religion is not mandated.
#10 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

The Catholic Church has had that stand on sexuality for as long as I can remember. It goes along with no birth control. And no divorce. Fortunately, religion is not mandated.

But it is publicly funded. It isn't right.

#11 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 08:06 AM

If you're trying to change things, you'll probably have better luck getting the public funds taken away rather than changing the Catholic Church.
#12 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

But it is publicly funded. It isn't right.

It sounds to me like your issue is more with the existance of publicly funded Catholic schools.  I don't see their stance on HPV vaccines as being out of line with their beliefs or against any sort of Ministry of Education rule (i.e. they are not breaking a rule by not providing HPV vaccines in the school).

Fwiw, when I moved into my house, I was asked which school board I would like the education portion of my property taxes to support.  It does seem like at least some of the funds for Catholic schools come from the public who choose to earmark their tax dollars to support Catholic schools.

Publicly funded Catholic schools exist because for one reason or another parents want them.  If they had low enrollment they would shut down. 

#13 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

headscratch.gif Why is this even the school's responsibility? Shouldn't it be up to the parents to see to it that their kids get whichever vaccines they want them to get? I guess I don't get how Canada's school and medical systems work.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#14 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 AM

I agree that this issue really isn't about vaccines at all. It's about Catholic institutions blocking access to health care. Yes, girls could go somewhere else if they decide they want the vaccine. Personally, I don't think that's a good enough excuse, but then I'm not a fan of the Catholic church's stance on women's health either. 

Do girls need parental permission to get this vaccine in school? If NOT, there's an added issue, because a girl might want to choose the vaccine for herself where her parents wouldn't agree, and if she can't get it at school it could be harder for her to get elsewhere. The article says they vax in grade 9, could be 15 years old at that age. 

#15 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Do girls need parental permission to get this vaccine in school? If NOT, there's an added issue, because a girl might want to choose the vaccine for herself where her parents wouldn't agree, and if she can't get it at school it could be harder for her to get elsewhere. The article says they vax in grade 9, could be 15 years old at that age. 

I sure hope they require parental permission if they are going to be giving out Gardsil vaccines. If a child's (because at 14/15 that is exactly what they are) parents refuse, then the girl, or boy for that matter, will have to wait until they are 18 or become an emancipated minor if it is so important to them.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#16 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

I sure hope they require parental permission if they are going to be giving out Gardsil vaccines. If a child's (because at 14/15 that is exactly what they are) parents refuse, then the girl, or boy for that matter, will have to wait until they are 18 or become an emancipated minor if it is so important to them.

Officially, "mature children" in Ontario do not need parental permission to get a vaccine.

If the nurse decides they are a mature minor, they can theoretically give a child a vaccine.  Here is a link out of B.C., but I am almost positive most Canadian provinces have such a policy:

http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile23a.stm#E46E7

I know some US areas have mature minor policies - here is one out of Washington State:

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/personal/famplan/providers/matureminor.aspx

I am not in favour of vaccines in school and the way they have played out in the local school  is decidedly non-vax unfriendly.  True stories from the last two years  (DD is in grade 9, HPV is given in 8 here, and I think Hep B was on offer in grade 7 ):

1. all the girls in DD class were called individually for their vaccine.  DD said she was not supposed to be vaccinated, to which the nurse replied "oh, yes you are."  The nurse looked at the form and lo and behold, DD was right.  A less proactive child might have been vaxxed.

2.  Prior to the HPV vaccine being administered last year, everyone got to go to an assembly.  The theme of the assembly was "get the HPV vaccine or you will die from cervical Cancer."  I discussed the issue further with her wink1.gif

3.  The friggin health unit has scheduled school vaccine days, and then rescheduled them at the last minute.  Even if you try to keep your child home on vaccine day (so they do not get talked into it by a zealous nurse, or "oopsed" into a vaccine) good luck! The make their own schedule.

#17 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 PM

I'm in favor of teens being able to make decisions about their own sexual health. This is a potentially contentious topic between teens and their parents. If the parents are on the same page, that's great, but if they're not, I don't think that teens should be denied health care. I'd put Gardasil and maybe a couple other vaxes in that category, along with access to birth control methods. That's my concern here--a girl who's sexually active, parents don't know, and she knows if she tells them she'll be in a lot of hot water--she should be able to protect herself. 

I certainly don't agree with what you described in your daughter's school, kathymuggle. Yikes! It should be up to the family what vaccines the kids get, it shouldn't be crammed down their throats like that. 

#18 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

I certainly don't agree with what you described in your daughter's school, kathymuggle. Yikes! It should be up to the family what vaccines the kids get, it shouldn't be crammed down their throats like that. 

I was surprised by it as well.  Canada  is not as enmeshed in the vaccine controversy as what I have read in the USA. Our exemptions are easier, some provinces don't have them, I have never had a doctor refuse me care over vax issues (nor has it happened to anyone I know).  It could be this health district is simply a little fanatical on the issue - I just don't know.

The vaccines are given out by the public health unit nurses.  I do wonder if public health is simply a little more hard core  than run of the mill doctors?  They do, in some ways, have different mandates.  In general, I find I am treated better as a non-vaxxer by doctors than nurses.  Maybe nurses are afraid of not coming across as having followed orders?  

I also wonder if the fact this is played out in schools is a factor.  I don't always think schools do the best job of listening to or respecting kids - and they do like to scare them on "issues" they see as important (not just vaccines). 

#19 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 12:40 PM

I was exempted from the Heb B vaccine that they give out to Grade 7s here in Ontario. Since we're posting personal experiences: I didn't get any flak for it. There was just a form you signed or didn't. The kids getting the vaccine were called in groups to the gym. I wasn't called. It was no big deal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page