History of Thimerosal - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/106019492/Thimerosal-Was-Known-to-Be-Toxic-Since-the-1930s

#2 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Wow. Thanks for sharing. :)

#3 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I followed the link but it said the document had been deleted.

Some of you might be interested in "Science at Home's" discussion of why mercury is toxic, but that's not the same as thimerosol (especially her analogy of toxic chlorine, and harmelss - at least in small doses - table sale, or sodium chloride).

http://science-at-home.org/there-is-no-mercury-in-vaccines/

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I followed the link but it said the document had been deleted.

No problem, it can still be accessed here.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 PM

That Google cache version pretty hard to read. I guess it got removed as they broke copywrite positing it there? 

There's an abstract in pubmed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18049924

My concerns over what I read so far - mostly it seems to be saying that a widely cited study in thimerosol (which found it to be safe) from the 1930s was flawed, not actually that any proof of harm was found.

In addition they don't compare the dosage levels to what is in the few adult vaccines which still contain thimerosol. I don't think it's too controversial that thimerosol in large doses is toxic and dangerous to humans, but the doses in vaccines are so miniscule that it's hard to see how they could have much of an effect. 

Digging a bit more now....

Wikipedia biography is not too happy with an author of this study: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Geier, and it quotes an Institute of Medicine report saying that his work was 

Quote:
seriously flawed, "uninterpretable", and marred by incorrect use of scientific terms

So maybe it's not just the cache version which is hard to read! ;) 

Oh and his medical license has been revocked in several states over controversial autism treatments. Doesn't sound like someone who's research or opinion I'd trust to be honest.  

The other author named Geier (David Geier) has apparantly been charged with attempting to work as a physician when improperly trained (he has a BA in Biology).  

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#6 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

@prosciencemum

Quote:

My concerns over what I read so far - mostly it seems to be saying that a widely cited study in thimerosol (which found it to be safe) from the 1930s was flawed, not actually that any proof of harm was found.

I assume they are citing the Eli Lily study from 1930 when they tested Thimerosal (Sodium Ethylmercurithiosalycilate) on 22 children with meningitis. They all died. They declared them dead of meningitis and Thimerosal was declared safe. Sounds like a flawed study to me.

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 9 Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

i can't believe, well i CAN believe it was deleted....it was either a greenmedinfo article, or a medscape article regarding thimerosol

applejuice likes this.
#8 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

#9 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

@prosciencemum

I assume they are citing the Eli Lily study from 1930 when they tested Thimerosal (Sodium Ethylmercurithiosalycilate) on 22 children with meningitis. They all died. They declared them dead of meningitis and Thimerosal was declared safe. Sounds like a flawed study to me.

Doesn't sound great to me either - mostly since if they were sick in the first place I don't understand how you'd distinguish effects of the thimerosol. Also it seems of dubious moral ethics. But my point is that showing that a study which has been used to say thimerosol is safe was flawed, is not the same as proving thimerosol is dangerous. 

The FDA has a website on thimerosol in vaccines in which they discuss their opinions on it and which seems relevent in this thread. Also includes some of the history of its use in vaccines (especially childhood vaccines) (http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228)

For example they say: 

Quote:
FDA has been actively addressing the issue of thimerosal as a preservative in vaccines. Under the FDA Modernization Act (FDAMA) of 1997, the FDA conducted a comprehensive review of the use of thimerosal in childhood vaccines. Conducted in 1999, this review found no evidence of harm from the use of thimerosal as a vaccine preservative, other than local hypersensitivity reactions (Ball et al. 2001).

despite the lack of any evidence of danger in that review the FDA and other government agencies related to health/children still recommended that it be removed/reduced in all vaccines in 1999/2000 "just in case" they had missed something. 

Quote:
"As a precautionary measure, the Public Health Service (including the FDA, National Institutes of Health (NIH), Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) and the American Academy of Pediatrics issued two Joint Statements, urging vaccine manufacturers to reduce or eliminate thimerosal in vaccines as soon as possible (CDC 1999) and (CDC 2000)."

That link has a discussion on the effectiveness of that recommendation and there is not thimerosol in almost all routinely recommended childhood vaccinations in 2012 (table at that link).  I was interested to note that the table also says that many formulations never had any thimerosol.

Finally they also comment on their ongoing study of thimerosol in vaccines and in other products: 

Quote:
"The FDA is continuing its efforts to reduce the exposure of infants, children, and pregnant women to mercury from various sources. Discussions with the manufacturers of influenza virus vaccines (which are now routinely recommended for pregnant women and children 6-23 months of age) regarding their capacity to potentially increase the supply of thimerosal-reduced and thimerosal-free presentations are ongoing."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page