Given too Many Vaccines - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-22-2012, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Someone near and dear to me took their one year old baby boy, this last week, to get a first in a possible string of delayed vaccinations. Her mother was with her because she was just so nervous about it.

First she talked to the Pediatrician about exactly which one would be best to be given and most necessary and all of her concerns. Next, the nurse came in and said "sign this paper" and then "hold his arms". The mother and grandmother were focused on the baby, but soon realized that many needles were being used. They said they figured there was a reason for using more than one needle. Dr. knows best, right? Only after five different vaccines were administered did they face their aweful reality.

The nurse says "now watch the MMR..."

Mother stops her and says, "MMR?"

Nurse, "Yes, and varicella..."

Mother of child, "WHAT?!"

Anyway, the pediatrician had "pressed the wrong button" and ordered too many vaccines. Mother and grandmother spent time talking to the office manager, nurse, and pediatrician who were "very sorry for the mistake". Obviously the mother made it clear she would NEVER be back.

Now what?

#2 of 25 Old 09-23-2012, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

File complaints with everyone she can write to, including the local health dep't,  state health dept, state  ins commissioner,  consumer protection, BBB,   AAP,  the dr's office who gave the shots, and speak to  legal counsel to cover herself in anything she may have forgotten. 

ghannit likes this.
#3 of 25 Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

#4 of 25 Old 09-24-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I wonder what would happen if the baby had a reaction. Would the pediatrician's office be responsible since they made the mistake?

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#5 of 25 Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

They would do what they do best about vaccine reactions:  deny it, and info about the vaccines given would also magically disappear out of the child's record's too.   That happened to my niece last month..her dd's vax records simply 'disappeared' according to the nurse at the office...12 years of records just up and disappear? Esp when the child was in the week before for vaxes.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

I wonder what would happen if the baby had a reaction. Would the pediatrician's office be responsible since they made the mistake?

BeckyBird likes this.
#6 of 25 Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

That would be a big fat NOPE!
ghannit and kathymuggle like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 25 Old 09-25-2012, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Did the child have any bad reactions? That's the main concern here right? 

Poogles0213 likes this.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#8 of 25 Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Of course, prosciencemum. If the child has a reaction, it would be nice to know who would pay for the damage. (The vaccine damage that they will surely deny.)  That's all I'm saying here. Obviously, we don't want there to be any damage at all.

The office made the mistake, and they should be responsible IF there is a reaction. As someone who vaccinates, doesn't this concern you? Since I don't vaccinate, I don't have to worry about whom I should hold liable for potential vaccine damage. As a non-vaxxer, I don't want any child to suffer through a vaccine reaction.

ghannit and kathymuggle like this.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#9 of 25 Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)

The problem in this instance which led to unconsented procedures being applied to the child does concern me. But that has nothing to do with vaccines, and I don't see why any special laws which you say apply to vaccines would matter either. 

But then I'm comfortable that in the vast majority of cases no bad reactions occur from vaccines (yes I've heard the anecdotes about rare reactions which I know can occur). Given that odds are on that this child had no bad reaction, and so in the end all he's ended up with is some extra immunity from VPDs.

Poogles0213 likes this.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#10 of 25 Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 AM

I would think they still have a case against the doctor. It sounds like perhaps the doctor wasn't really on board with delayed/selective vaccination and 'accidentally' hit the wrong button to order all of them. It's a medical procedure done without consent.

To think about it another way:

If someone drives 90 mph but doesn't hurt anyone did they do something illegal? The law is the law regardless of injury. 

Bokonon and kathymuggle like this.
#11 of 25 Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 AM

I have a hard time believing this. It seems to me that a parent who is leary of vaccines and put a lot of effort into figuring out which one vaccine they want to give would also be really vigilant about what needles went into their child, not "assume doctor knows best" because generally, avoiding vaccines tends to assume that doctors don't know best. Assuming it did happen, though, they should request their records right away so that they have documentation in the event there is a reaction. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know if they'd have a malpractice case if no verifiable harm resulted. I suppose they could talk to a malpractice lawyer if they wanted. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#12 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 AM

The story seems weird to me too. Why didn't mom or grandma stop the nurse after the first shot?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#13 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love the skepticism here. What reason does this woman have to lie about something like this - especially to friend?

Mirzam likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#14 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

The story seems weird to me too. Why didn't mom or grandma stop the nurse after the first shot?

Yes , to me too !

If I tell a doctor I want ONE shot and the nurse ( or doctor ) comes with a second needle , then I am not going to sit there and just take it !

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#15 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I love the skepticism here. What reason does this woman have to lie about something like this - especially to friend?

To be honest, I thought the fact the mom missed an extra needle going into her child was odd.  It is possible the mom thought MMR was given in 3 separate shots, but I am reaching.  Most people know better than this, especially those who do not completely hand over vaccines decisions to the doctor.

That being said, this is a second hand account.  

Thinking someone got a detail wrong does not mean anyone lied or made stuff up.  

The take home story to me is the nurse messed up and gave the wrong number of vaccines.

The story does not surprise me; several times a year (easily!) people post stories of errors in relation to vaccinations.  

Medicine errors are pretty common, period  (I can look it up if you like).  Vaccines would not be exempt.

What would be interesting to me is if vaccine errors are more common than other errors of similar nature  (outpatient pediatric injections).  A google project for when I am bored at work later tonight.

Thanks, OP, for the story.  It does serve as a reminder to check the vials, etc.  Patients are not always as pro-active as they could be in checking medicine before it goes into them.  This is not about blaming the patient - hcp should get it right no matter what!- but it might cut down on errors.

ETA:  While trying to figure out if vaccine errors are more common than other errors, I came across this laundry list of vaccine error stories:

http://www.polkmoms.com/forum/topics/compilation-of-mistaken

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#16 of 25 Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hello again. So I should have just said this was my younger sister and her baby this happened to last week. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Did the child have any bad reactions? That's the main concern here right? 

The baby has had no reactions as of yet. I talked to my mother yesterday and she said the baby is doing "just fine" (she is the one who encouraged my sister to get the whooping cough vaccine in the first place). So, as far as our mother is concerned everything is a-ok! I don't think she realized that many vaccines are given at one visit all the time. I think that was her worry after it happened.

My sister has only recently begun looking into vaccines with this 2nd baby. She has a son who is six years older who has his vaccines up to date thus far. About 15 days after he had the varicella vaccine he (the older son) came down with shingles. She undoubtedly did NOT want the varicella for this baby. However, the fact that he has not had any reactions, besides a low grade fever, is not her only concern. She had not looked into all of the vaccines and wanted to before continuing on with more. She has that right.

She contacted a lawyer just to cover herself and it sounds like since there has not been any "reactions" she'll be filing a complaint (or complaints) just as Emmy526 suggested. I came here to Mothering to see what suggestions I could get to help her. I originally told her I would email her the link to this thread. Now I think I will not. She will only feel more guilt.

I understand the skepticism because I am somewhat of a skeptical person myself (especially online). Since I know my mother and sister I can totally see the way it happened. They said they started to "look at each other" I'm sure with questioning looks, when they realized there were more needles being used, but assumed the doctors knew what to do. (Meanwhile I said,  "Huh? Mother! That's when you say 'HOLD ON'!") They are not assertive people. I used to be the same way. Life experience and a good husband have helped me to be more assertive and to ask questions.

To steal KathyMuggle's line "The take home story..." is to be alert. Be assertive. Be in charge of your health, don't leave it up to other people!

Anyway, sorry this was long, but thank you for the suggestions about filing complaints. That was the kind of thing I came here looking for to try to help her.

Pookietooth and ghannit like this.
#17 of 25 Old 09-27-2012, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Hey, Op….

You are right not to email your sister the thread - people are hard on each other online - and the vaccine forum is one of the nastiest forums on Mothering (this thread is pretty tame, actually)

If I were writing a letter of complaint here is what I would do:

-state your story and be specific - date, times, nurses and doctors name, those present.  State they gave the child vaxxes without verbal or written consent.  

-ask for what you want.  Do you want a written apology?  Do you want them to institute policies so this kind of thing does not happen in the future?

-ask if there is any reporting body you need to file a form with when a medical error occurs.

-ask for them to get back to you within a reasonable timeline.  I would give about a 10 day deadline, but that is up to your sister.  if they have not responded, you can just resend the initial letter.

-This is important:  c.c. everyone if it is an email.  The more people you tell, the more likely it is to land in the hands of someone who will not bury it, or might care.  If you do a snail mail paper copy - do multiple copies (and add c.c at the bottom of the letter, so everyone knows you told everyone else).  Keep a copy for yourself..

-thank them for their time in advance and working with you to resolve this matter and ensure it does not happen to someone else's child.  Keep it positive.  Try not to sound overly emotional.  Be persistent.

ghannit and Poogles0213 like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#18 of 25 Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you kathymuggle. I will cut and paste the ideas to email her ;0)

#19 of 25 Old 09-28-2012, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am not saying what happened was right, but this was not the nurse's fault.  You do not have to sign a consent for the vaccines, you sign a form saying info about the vaccines was "made available" to you.  The doctor ordered all the vaccines, so the nurse was following orders.   would also like to point out that many doctor's offices do not employ nurses anymore.  They have medical assistants (who can give meds, vaccines, take vitals, etc, but have only 3-6 months of training).  there are many docs who refer to them as nurses (which is not legal).

Sorry about being on my soapbox, but I hate it  when nurses get a bad rap for something not their fault.

On a legality standpoint:  NEVER SIGN SOMETHING YOU HAVE NOT READ!!!!!!  In all likelihood she signed the acknowledgement for all the vaccines, thereby negating her complaint.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#20 of 25 Old 09-29-2012, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post

I am not saying what happened was right, but this was not the nurse's fault.  You do not have to sign a consent for the vaccines, you sign a form saying info about the vaccines was "made available" to you.  The doctor ordered all the vaccines, so the nurse was following orders.   would also like to point out that many doctor's offices do not employ nurses anymore.  They have medical assistants (who can give meds, vaccines, take vitals, etc, but have only 3-6 months of training).  there are many docs who refer to them as nurses (which is not legal).

Sorry about being on my soapbox, but I hate it  when nurses get a bad rap for something not their fault.
On a legality standpoint:  NEVER SIGN SOMETHING YOU HAVE NOT READ!!!!!!  In all likelihood she signed the acknowledgement for all the vaccines, thereby negating her complaint.

I don't know about the laws governing nurses in the US but in Australia a nurse would absolutely share some responsibility in this situation. Nurse can't just hide behind the following doctors orders shield. Part of our role is to check and clarify orders. I know of many drug errors which have been prevented by nurses.

In this case I would have asked the mother to tell me the child's name, date of birth, ask if there were any known allergies and said something like "so today we are giving x, y and z vaccine is that right?". If there was a signed form and I hadnt seen her sign I would show it to her and ask if it was her signature.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#21 of 25 Old 09-29-2012, 06:09 AM

When I get my daughter's vaccines, I have to sign once for each shot (so once for DTaP rather than three times, then once for Prevnar, and so on). So if there were two needles going into her, I would have to sign twice and each one would be marked what it was. 

My doctor's office does the MA/nurse thing too. Kim is the MA who always does our intake, and it says she's an MA on her name badge, but one time she called me and left a message that started "This is Kim, Dr. X's nurse" and I was all "You are not a nurse!" Rar. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#22 of 25 Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

When I get my daughter's vaccines, I have to sign once for each shot (so once for DTaP rather than three times, then once for Prevnar, and so on). So if there were two needles going into her, I would have to sign twice and each one would be marked what it was. 

When my kids got vaxes, I think I was given something to sign AFTER they were given, and only had to sign one thing.  But I know there were times I didn't have to sign anything at all.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#23 of 25 Old 09-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Same here , I NEVER had to sign a consent form to any vaccine , or a refusal to the flu vaccine , I just told then we are not getting the flu shot .

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#24 of 25 Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post

Just to clarify, the doctor came back and spared the nurse of any responsibility. She admitted that she alone had made the mistake and pressed the wrong button.

And is that right? "you do not have to sign a consent for the vaccines..."?

And one more... I totally agree that you should "NEVER SIGN SOMETHING YOU HAVE NOT READ!!!!!!". Although, I must admit to having at least sped-read or speed-readed (however you would say that :0) through forms in my lifetime because someone was standing there waiting for me to just hurry up and sign. (I must be my sisters' sister to let people intimidate me like that).

Quote:

Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I don't know about the laws governing nurses in the US but in Australia a nurse would absolutely share some responsibility in this situation. Nurse can't just hide behind the following doctors orders shield. Part of our role is to check and clarify orders. I know of many drug errors which have been prevented by nurses.
In this case I would have asked the mother to tell me the child's name, date of birth, ask if there were any known allergies and said something like "so today we are giving x, y and z vaccine is that right?". If there was a signed form and I hadnt seen her sign I would show it to her and ask if it was her signature.

Wouldn't that save everyone involved-->..."so today we are giving x, y and z vaccine is that right?" plus make sure it was the correct patient. I think that should be mandatory script. Would that really take up too much of their time?

I feel bad that my sister and baby had to go through this. Hopefully baby will continue to be fine (no shingles etc.) And maybe this mistake will cause the office team to re-assess/change policy.

#25 of 25 Old 10-02-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMama2
And maybe this mistake will cause the office team to re-assess/change policy.

I honestly doubt that ! I mean , after all , why would they ?

The baby is obviously fine , as expected in a healthy infant , and the overwhelming majority of parents will still bring their kids in to be vacced without asking questions !

So , even if your sister feels bad and/or guilty , she should have said something right away , when they kept coming with more needles . 

I don´t mean to belittle her or anything like that , but even big dramatic incidents really don´t change the way things are being handled very often , why would anybody bother with something like that . 

Sad , but that´s the way American society works !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page