Teenager and baby with Pertussis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-24-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my 14 year old and 1 year old have pertussis.  The 14 year old was the only one tested and that was positive.  However, the 1 year old has the same symptoms etc.  The teen was vaccinated as a baby. The baby has not been. 

My question is (perhaps this is the wrong forum) what can I do to make my teeen more comfortable?   She does't want to eat or   drink much. Thankfully the coughing fits have not resulted in any vomiting for either of them.  They seem to be fairing pretty well.  The 14 month old's coughing is getting a  bit more intense, he is however, very happy and playing when not coughing.

So with that being said, does Pertussis really last 100 days?  I have always assumed that kids with WC are sick for a few weeks and then the cough lingers?  Has that been others experience too?

Also, how effective is it too put others in the family with antibiotics if non sympotmatic?  I just cannot wrap my mind around treating for something that shows no symptoms.  I know the thought is too, kill it while it incubates, but does this work?  That is alot of antibiotics in the house at once (6 kids 2 adults). 

I guess I'm just looking for others experience with pertussis.

Thanks

Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#2 of 14 Old 09-24-2012, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Runny nose, sneezing and fever and mild cough lasts 1-2 weeks
The whooping cough part lasts 1-6 weeks
The last coughing recovery lasts 2-3 weeks and they're a carrier for another couple weeks after that.

Antibiotics, and LOTS of vitamin c given several times a day will help most, keep upping the dose til it gives loose stools then back it off to just less. They sell it in drops for babies too. Anything immune boosting can help, healthy food and bone broth, Echinacea and Elderberry, vitamin b's, vitamin d, zinc.
#3 of 14 Old 09-24-2012, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

This article covers just about everything you need to know about treating whooping cough. 

Vitamin C for Whooping Cough. Updated Edition by Suzanne Humphries MD

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 14 Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Come to think of it I think DH and I had it last month, undiagnosed. Runny nose and sneezing and feeling yucky for a week, then for weeks had some fits of uncontrollable coughing with little mucous, we just treated like a normal cold that hung on somewhat, cough drops and emergen-c. Our kids were fine.

#5 of 14 Old 09-24-2012, 09:04 PM

Yes 100 days is typical. It can be much much longer than that to fully heal in the very young, the elderly, and those with already fragile lungs.

You aren't a carrier for that long. You can only pass it on as long as the bacteria is present (which is one reason for giving antibiotics even after they'll have no effect on the illness itself). The bacteria produce the toxin, the toxin damages the cilia, that causes the cough and even once the bacteria is gone the cough lingers because the damage needs to heal.

Vitamin C can work for some. It's not a miracle cure that can be totally relied on though. If you are only "ok" with the idea of pertussis because you believe that you can reverse it with vitamin C you need to reexamine because you might be left seriously ill or with a seriously ill child and no help but time and that can really suck if you were expecting a miracle.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#6 of 14 Old 09-25-2012, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post

Yes 100 days is typical. It can be much much longer than that to fully heal in the very young, the elderly, and those with already fragile lungs.
You aren't a carrier for that long. You can only pass it on as long as the bacteria is present (which is one reason for giving antibiotics even after they'll have no effect on the illness itself). The bacteria produce the toxin, the toxin damages the cilia, that causes the cough and even once the bacteria is gone the cough lingers because the damage needs to heal.
Vitamin C can work for some. It's not a miracle cure that can be totally relied on though. If you are only "ok" with the idea of pertussis because you believe that you can reverse it with vitamin C you need to reexamine because you might be left seriously ill or with a seriously ill child and no help but time and that can really suck if you were expecting a miracle.

If dosed properly vitamin c will work. It is not meant to be a cure...it neutralizes the toxin which helps makes the coughing more manageable and will help keep the mucus thin which will help keep it from pooling in the lungs and it will come up easier which will prevent secondary infections. It is essential to dose to bowel tolerance or it won't work.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 14 Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)

There's no evidence to support vitamin C treatment helps with pertussis, and it's potentially dangerous to dose your child with vitamin C to the point that they have diarrhea.

There's a discussion (with links to supporting studies) of this here: http://informedparentsofvaccinatedchildren.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/vitamin-c-and-treatment-of-pertussiswhooping-cough/

Hope your children recover OK. :)  

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#8 of 14 Old 09-26-2012, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

this link was within the link you provided and says the contrary about Vit C for whooping cough

http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorbate/193x/vermillion-el-etal-kansas_city_med_j-1938-v39-n11-p469.htm

Quote:
In this small series of twenty-six cases of whooping cough, cevitamic acid seemed to be strikingly effective in relieving and checking the symptoms in all but two of the cases which apparently received little if any relief. It is our opinion that it should be given further trial in all cases of whooping cough regardless of the age of the patient, or the length of time already elapsed since the original symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

There's no evidence to support vitamin C treatment helps with pertussis, and it's potentially dangerous to dose your child with vitamin C to the point that they have diarrhea.

There's a discussion (with links to supporting studies) of this here: http://informedparentsofvaccinatedchildren.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/vitamin-c-and-treatment-of-pertussiswhooping-cough/

BeckyBird likes this.
#9 of 14 Old 09-26-2012, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

this link was within the link you provided and says the contrary about Vit C for whooping cough

http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorbate/193x/vermillion-el-etal-kansas_city_med_j-1938-v39-n11-p469.htm

Thanks that's curious (as they say), but hardly stands up to the name of evidence. I hope they do expand the trial beyond 26 people. If vitamin C can cure pertussis that would be great. :) I'm doubtful.  

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#10 of 14 Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks that's curious (as they say), but hardly stands up to the name of evidence. I hope they do expand the trial beyond 26 people. If vitamin C can cure pertussis that would be great. :) I'm doubtful.  

i don't think they claimed it 'cured' it, but lessened the symptoms during  the worst part of the illness... i have also read many a testimony from moms who have used SA for WC, with success in reducing symptoms, phlegm,  and length of the coughing fits. 

#11 of 14 Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/why-nobody-studying-vitamin-c-whooping-cough

http://www.orthomed.com/klenner.htm

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#12 of 14 Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and experiences.  Both kids are so so much better.  My teen and baby are hardly coughing at all. Neither one of them ran a fever with this.

My teen is still left pretty tired by the end of the day.  The baby is seemingly back to normal.  I haven't heard him cough yet today.

I did give probiotics to both of them (and the rest of the house) and lots of rest and fluids.  The 1 year old nursed around the clock.

Thanks everyone

Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#13 of 14 Old 09-28-2012, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)

Awesome update!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#14 of 14 Old 09-28-2012, 09:28 AM

Great news!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page