Balanced article about pertussis outbreaks in New York Times - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

I might not have the right filters to say this, but I thought this article in the New York Times was pretty balanced over all. No blame is laid, and a discussion is had of the reduced effectiveness of the current vaccination. 

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/whooping-cough-a-stealthy-illness/?src=recg

The conclusions

Quote:
Meanwhile, Dr. Klein said, “although a better vaccine is needed, the current vaccine is safe and effective, and some protection is better than no protection.”

It is making me feel guilty though about taking my daughter (who has a mild cough for weeks we think is linked to asthma) to see her 7 week old second cousin this weekend. We have had the cough checked out at the Drs once a few weeks ago, and they said it was just a cough (no other symptoms) which would go away by itself. Going back tomorrow to push for an asthama check. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

I liked that article, thanks! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 09-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I might not have the right filters to say this, but I thought this article in the New York Times was pretty balanced over all. No blame is laid, and a discussion is had of the reduced effectiveness of the current vaccination. 

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/whooping-cough-a-stealthy-illness/?src=recg

The conclusions

It is making me feel guilty though about taking my daughter (who has a mild cough for weeks we think is linked to asthma) to see her 7 week old second cousin this weekend. We have had the cough checked out at the Drs once a few weeks ago, and they said it was just a cough (no other symptoms) which would go away by itself. Going back tomorrow to push for an asthama check. 

Im sure it is just a cough - BUT Im curious. Did your child receive a swab? how was the cough "checked out"? Since vaccinated children can still get pertussis which would possibly show up as a much milder case ie just a cough that wont go away.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
It is making me feel guilty though about taking my daughter (who has a mild cough for weeks we think is linked to asthma) to see her 7 week old second cousin this weekend.

I would absolutely not risk it without first getting a nasalpharyngeal swab for pertussis. The very real possibility of her having an undiagnosed case of pertussis is a good example of how vaccinated people can be more dangerous to infants.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

We discussed the cough with the doctor, who brought up pertussis, but said her cough did not have the right pattern for pertussis. Even a mild pertussis cough he said would be persistent all day, while her cough has lasted a long time but only happens interminttently with what looks like specific triggers. He didnt jump straight to asthma either, but we have an inhaler to try out for a few weeks to see if it improves anything.

Thanks for the concern.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:

The conclusions

Meanwhile, Dr. Klein said, “although a better vaccine is needed, the current vaccine is safe and effective, and some protection is better than no protection.”

But we already know that Dr. Klein's conclusions are ALL incorrect, except for a better vaccine being needed.

The current vaccine is not safe. A subgroup of children is having terrible reactions to it. Not only is no effort being made to identify this subgroup, but their reactions are being denied and covered up. It is inexcusable for even a well-meaning, caring doctor to call it safe. It's like calling pertussis safe, because only a tiny subgroup of babies are dying from it (and NO effort is made to identify this subgroup, either). And let's remember that the number of children who have tragically had permanent adverse effects from the vaccine is greater than the number of babies who have just as tragically died from pertussis.

The current vaccine is not effective. If it were, a better vaccine wouldn't be needed.

Some protection is NOT better than no protection if there are severe adverse reactions in a subgroup.

Sounds like the typical pharm propaganda to me: couple one truth (or even half-truth) with several lies, to make the lies appear stronger.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

I agree you should get a pertussis swab in addition to the asthma check. If it is a mild case of pertussis, you would want to know so you could help your daughter feel better. There are several links to the vitamin C therapy on MDC, which might help her if it is pertussis.

I do hope she feels better!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)

I thought most of the article was okay.

The only thing I really disagreed with was the conclusion:

"Meanwhile, Dr. Klein said, “although a better vaccine is needed, the current vaccine is safe and effective, and some protection is better than no protection.”

The current vaccine is not perfectly safe, it is not very effective, and "some protection is better thsn none"  is only 100% true when the vaccine in question is 100% safe.  

We need some sort of mathematical algorithm to plunk efficacy  and safety of vaccines  into, as well as prevalence and dangers of the VPD.  Of course, many of us give different weights to each of the variables. 

prosciencemum - healthy vibes to your DD.  I hope no one else develops her cough.   

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

We discussed the cough with the doctor, who brought up pertussis, but said her cough did not have the right pattern for pertussis. Even a mild pertussis cough he said would be persistent all day, while her cough has lasted a long time but only happens interminttently with what looks like specific triggers. He didnt jump straight to asthma either, but we have an inhaler to try out for a few weeks to see if it improves anything.
Thanks for the concern.

For the sake of the infant you visited this weekend, I hope your doctor is right.

When my unvaccinated child and I had pertussis, the cough was not persistent all day. It happened intermittently. But there were not specific triggers.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

For the sake of the infant you visited this weekend, I hope your doctor is right.

When my unvaccinated child and I had pertussis, the cough was not persistent all day. It happened intermittently. But there were not specific triggers.

This. When my two had whooping cough, they didn't cough all day either. It was mostly at night.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree it's worth a second opinion and a nasal swab just to rule it out.  Coughing for weeks is rough on a 5 year old.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

I trust my Doctors opinion and I am confident this is not pertussis. Thanks to everyone for the concern though. Keeping my fingers crossed the inhaler starts reducing the frequency of her coughing spells. :) 

User Tag List