An open letter to MD's: Legal and Ethical Ramifications of Refusing to Treat Unvaccinated Children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Thanks to Mirzam for finding this!

http://www.vaccinerights.com/pdf/2-27-12Letter-to-US-Pediatricians.pdf

He doesn't mess around;  he begins with

"Dear Pediatricians:

Physicians who refuse to treat unvaccinated children due to a parent’s exercise of a lawful exemption to immunizations may be violating the parent’s Constitutional rights and state ethical rules, and risking liability and/or sanctions accordingly.1, 2"

#2 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

You're welcome! Thanks for starting a separate thread.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am greatly interested in this statement: "Non-immune vaccinated kids greatly outnumber vaccinated kids."

His cited source is a natural news article, which makes me sad. greensad.gif

Anyone have any good sources for this?

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#4 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post

I am greatly interested in this statement: "Non-immune vaccinated kids greatly outnumber vaccinated kids."

His cited source is a natural news article, which makes me sad. greensad.gif

Anyone have any good sources for this?

The statement didn't say that, what was written was: 

non-immune vaccinated kids greatly outnumber exempt kids (not vaccinated kids). The article referenced in Natural News is one the author wrote himself.

Quote:
"No vaccine is 100% effective. Most routine childhood vaccines are effective for 85% to 95% of recipients. For reasons related to the individual, some will not develop immunity."[2] (Note that they blame the "individual", and not the vaccines. Regardless, the CDC says this is why the majority of outbreaks occur in vaccinated children.) In contrast, national exemption rates run about 1% - 2.5% on average.[3] But we needn't be concerned about either, since 100% immunity is not required for all to be protected. Furthermore, just as vaccinated children are not necessarily immune, exempt children aren't necessarily lacking immunity. Many exempt children develop natural immunity, and according to the CDC, they don't have to get sick for that to happen.[4] The bottom line is, you can't determine the immunity status of any given individual child by the child's vaccination status alone. But with the herd immunity theory, we don't need to; we need only be concerned with a populations' vaccination status collectively.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/035024_vaccine_exemptions_children_infectious_disease.html#ixzz284xJIeod

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

non-immune vaccinated kids greatly outnumber exempt kids (not vaccinated kids). The article referenced in Natural News is one the author wrote himself.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/035024_vaccine_exemptions_children_infectious_disease.html#ixzz284xJIeod

That's what I meant.  I was on my phone, sorry.  So do you know if there a more reliable source for that assertion?

#6 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I meant.  I was on my phone, sorry.  So do you know if there a more reliable source for that assertion?

He wrote the article and got the info from the CDC. It is explained in the footnotes.

#7 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:

He wrote the article and got the info from the CDC. It is explained in the footnotes.

See, now I respect Alan Philips.  I really do.  He's a great person...I even had the pleasure of speaking with him on the phone for about an hour several years ago.  But I don't know why on earth he would cite Natural News as a source in his open letter.  Seems like he's just asking for trouble.  Why not find the info directly from the CDC and quote them?  No one could argue with the CDC as a source.

#8 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

See, now I respect Alan Philips.  I really do.  He's a great person...I even had the pleasure of speaking with him on the phone for about an hour several years ago.  But I don't know why on earth he would cite Natural News as a source in his open letter.  Seems like he's just asking for trouble.  Why not find the info directly from the CDC and quote them?  No one could argue with the CDC as a source.

You make a very good point, and one that I have made several times to vactruth.org, where writer Christina England cites herself and whale.to as sources.  People there were so incensed that I dared to criticize, I was immedfiately accused of being a Pharma shill for doing so.

I don't understand why they can't see that, if it's possible to quote the CDC , obviously that makes a far stronger statement than quoting white supremacist hate sites.

I think the problem is, there is no money, or very little, in reporting for vactruth.org, and even less money in creating an open letter for pediatricians.  The pharmaceutical industry can afford to hire the best of the best to write, ghostwrite, and report whatever they tell them to.  The vaccine safety critics are stuck with whoever is willing.  And in spite of being on the side of the truth, they often lack good training and/or talent.

Unfortunately, a good part of this battle comes down to effective propaganda, which the pharmaceutical industry perfected several deades ago. 

#9 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

"Dear Pediatricians:

Physicians who refuse to treat unvaccinated children due to a parent’s exercise of a lawful exemption to immunizations may be violating the parent’s Constitutional rights and state ethical rules, and risking liability and/or sanctions accordingly.1, 2"

Key phrase: "lawful exemption". It's been discussed here on MDC that many anti-vaxxers do not have lawful exemptions. They believe it's OK to break the law in order to prevent their child from being vaccinated.

#10 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post

Key phrase: "lawful exemption". It's been discussed here on MDC that many anti-vaxxers do not have lawful exemptions. They believe it's OK to break the law in order to prevent their child from being vaccinated.

"Many"?  No, you misunderstood.  A few said they would do whatever they needed to in order to keep their children safe, and if that means getting an unlawful exemption, they would.  They didn't say that they had done so.

I would highly doubt that "many" non-vaxxers have unlawful exemptions.

Mirzam and kathymuggle like this.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#11 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind that many people do not need an exemption of any kind, since exemptions are only applied through schools or daycares and many parents who do not use such facilities require no exemption at all. I wish Alan Phillips had addressed this fact in his letter.

#12 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

First of all, you are jumping to the conclusion that "many anti-vaxxers do not have lawful exemptions." That has not been stated on MDC, and you are not in a position to determine anyone's religious beliefs.

Secondly, I'd like to point out that in recent history, there have been many examples of doctors erroneously believing that invasive procedures are safe and effective. A partial list: frontal lobotomies, hysterectomies for depression, routine tonsillectomies, antibiotics for ear infections/colds/mild viruses, mercurochrome for skin cuts,

From the 1920's through the 1970's, doctors instructed new mothers that formula feeding was better than breast feeding. As late as the 1990's, the standard doctor-given advice to new breastfeeding mothers was to use a modified formula schedule of feeding every 2-3 hours. Some doctors are STILL unaware that breatmilk can digest as quickly as 30 minutes.

In the 1980's, many OBGYNs told all pregnant women, regardless of starting weight, that they should not gain more than a total of 15 pounds.

People with celiac disease were, until the decade, told that they had "IBS," and put on medications (often including antidepressants), allowing years of damage from gluten. Even today, the standard of care involves an intestinal biopsy for diagnosis, rather than the safer and more accurate combination of bloodwork and dietary response.

Imagine if routine tonsillectomies were mandated, in order to curb the spread of "dangerous" infections.

Or if co-sleeping were declared illegal. After all, the current mandate--and accompanying propaganda, including billboards that have gone up this year--is "ABC: babies should sleep Alone, on their Backs, in a Crib."

And let's remember, too, that the schools, along with the media, do not mention, EVER, that exemptions are even possible. Pediatricians are refusing to treat unvaccinated children--with no mention of children who have had previous adverse reactions to vaccines.

Imagine if pediatricians refused to treat a child whose tonsils had not first been removed.
Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.
#13 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

No it hasn't. That's what YOU have conveniently taken away from any previous discussions about it.

Mirzam, Magali and kathymuggle like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page