Postman Could Soon Deliver Your Nanopatch Vaccine in the Mail - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-16-2012, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Postman Could Soon Deliver Your Nanopatch Vaccine in the Mail

http://vactruth.com/2012/10/14/nanopatch-vaccine-mail/?utm_source=The+Vaccine+Truth+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a744ad76a5-10_16_2012_mail&utm_medium=email

#2 of 15 Old 10-16-2012, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

I actually find that story quite funny. Probably I shouldn't. Do you seriously get worried about this? They take a newspaper article from 2010 about a researcher's idea to make vaccination patches with "microneedles" to inject flu vaccination into arm muscle and use it to claim this is something which is about to happen. 

This is also amusing to me: 

Quote:
In my opinion, vaccines arriving by post could potentially be very dangerous, especially in the UK, where all of the mail is delivered through letterboxes on the front door.  If small children or pets ingested them, this could surely be life-threatening. 

Surely that applied to anything that arrives in the mail in the UK. Perhaps we should ban all mail as a result. I once had a delivery of live earth worms (for my garden compost) which came straight through the door. Thank goodness neither of my children, nor my cat ate it! ;) And staples frequently arrive in the mail. They could be very dangerous.

I just also have to comment on the pop up which was presented to me when I visited the article at vaxtruth.com

Talk about fear mongering. There's a great discusson of the reason for, the tiny amounts, or misconceptions/untruths of these "ingredients" in vaccines at this skeptics blog: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4180

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 15 Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

i have been reading of this vaccine delivery method for about 5yrs now...in all kinds of articles in all kinds of medical mags...no do i not 'seriously worry over it'...thankfully my kids are past the age of all this now...my kids are the ones who are 'going to have to worry about it' in their future and their future kids

#4 of 15 Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I actually find that story quite funny. Probably I shouldn't. Do you seriously get worried about this? They take a newspaper article from 2010 about a researcher's idea to make vaccination patches with "microneedles" to inject flu vaccination into arm muscle and use it to claim this is something which is about to happen. 

This is also amusing to me: 

Surely that applied to anything that arrives in the mail in the UK. Perhaps we should ban all mail as a result. I once had a delivery of live earth worms (for my garden compost) which came straight through the door. Thank goodness neither of my children, nor my cat ate it! ;) And staples frequently arrive in the mail. They could be very dangerous.

I just also have to comment on the pop up which was presented to me when I visited the article at vaxtruth.com

Talk about fear mongering. There's a great discusson of the reason for, the tiny amounts, or misconceptions/untruths of these "ingredients" in vaccines at this skeptics blog: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4180

I don't see why this is funny?  What makes you think this is something that won't happen soon? I don't know what your definition of soon is but 2015 is only 2 years away.  Microneedles are in clinical trials as a vehicle for admisistering a wide variety of medications including vaccines.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/Flu/Research/vaccineResearch/Pages/FluShotsNoMore.aspx

The thought of these things being delievered via mail does seem absurd to me. Any vaccine like the flu vaccine should be admisistered by a doctor I think (I totally disagree with getting a shot at CVS - although at least there is a pharmacist there) because of the possibilty of a severe reaction.

As for the pop up. I don't think there is anything fear mongering about that. It says learn what is being injected into your child and lists a few ingredients in some of the vaccines. Any thoughtful parent would then be left with the task of looking into each ingredient individually and learning more about it. That is what I did when I started researching vaccines. I took each ingredient, looked it up, read about it and it's purpose and role in the manufacturing of the vaccine and looked at the avaliable safety information on it. I've said it before and ill say it again. IMHO just because there is a "tiny" amount of something that is a known toxic chemical to humans doesn;t make it ok. But I understand people's comfort level with amounts and what is acceptable or not is going to differ.

For example. Lets take Triton-x 100. Here is the MSDS http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927635 This is information I want would to know

or these websites could be helpful in researching aluminum

http://ctdbase.org/detail.go?view=disease&type=chem&acc=D000535

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2782734/pdf/nihms33559.pdf

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 15 Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
But many of us save money on prescription medication by getting it through the mail. Injectible fertility drugs can come through the mail (I'm pretty sure), as are things like insulin, etc.

I don't know enough about the patch microneedle method to comment on that, but the postal delivery method is fine by me.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#6 of 15 Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

But many of us save money on prescription medication by getting it through the mail. Injectible fertility drugs can come through the mail (I'm pretty sure), as are things like insulin, etc.
I don't know enough about the patch microneedle method to comment on that, but the postal delivery method is fine by me.

I see your point here and I have no issue with people getting medications by mail. However something like a vaccine can carry risks of anaphylactic shock. It would really suck if you stuck on your patch and keeled over 10 minutes later. When a person gets allergy shots they have to wait a certain amount of time in the waiting room afterwards to make sure there is no immediate adverse reaction. I think this is prudent. Perhaps I have less of an issue with getting maintenance drugs via the mail since it can be assumed people have been on them am know how they would react. I know all drugs carry risks and I suppose potentially one can have a anaphylactic reaction to any medication so maybe Im just being silly.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 15 Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I see your point here and I have no issue with people getting medications by mail. However something like a vaccine can carry risks of anaphylactic shock. It would really suck if you stuck on your patch and keeled over 10 minutes later. When a person gets allergy shots they have to wait a certain amount of time in the waiting room afterwards to make sure there is no immediate adverse reaction. I think this is prudent. Perhaps I have less of an issue with getting maintenance drugs via the mail since it can be assumed people have been on them am know how they would react. I know all drugs carry risks and I suppose potentially one can have a anaphylactic reaction to any medication so maybe Im just being silly.

Well, you can definitely get penicillin in the mail, and it is the number one medication on the market that causes anaphylactic shock. IMO, whenever anyone is taking any new medication they should be on the lookout for unusual reactions, but I cant drive 20 minutes everytime I take a new drug just in case I go into shock (the nearest hospital to me is 30 minutes, so that's what it would take to be 10 minutes from a hospital). I have epi pens at home because Im allergic to bees, but most people dont keep that kind of stuff at home.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#8 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Well, you can definitely get penicillin in the mail, and it is the number one medication on the market that causes anaphylactic shock. IMO, whenever anyone is taking any new medication they should be on the lookout for unusual reactions, but I cant drive 20 minutes everytime I take a new drug just in case I go into shock (the nearest hospital to me is 30 minutes, so that's what it would take to be 10 minutes from a hospital). I have epi pens at home because Im allergic to bees, but most people dont keep that kind of stuff at home.

Most people also won't have a problem. Technically I could choke to death on my next meal, but I don't always go to a hospital every time I eat..... It's about a reasonable assessment of risk surely. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#9 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Most people also won't have a problem. Technically I could choke to death on my next meal, but I don't always go to a hospital every time I eat..... It's about a reasonable assessment of risk surely. 

Eating cannot be compared with taking a vaccine or some pharmaceutical medication. 

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#10 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Eating cannot be compared with taking a vaccine or some pharmaceutical medication. 

Actually, it could, because there are tons of foods that cause people to go into shock as well. 

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#11 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, it could, because there are tons of foods that cause people to go into shock as well. 

Quote:

Technically I could choke to death on my next meal, but I don't always go to a hospital every time I eat..... It's about a reasonable assessment of risk surely. 

She said "choke" not anaphylactic shock. 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#12 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM

Yes, but you said "eating" not "choking".

SIDS happens. 

#13 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Yes, but you said "eating" not "choking".

Right, the process of eating and the risk of choking is a lousy comparison to having a vaccination and a risk of having vaccine reaction.

#14 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

and then there's the old comparison that's always used-- like driving around with no seatbelt on....is it safer without one?  the girl that was decapitated in the accident  near my house might have thought so...

Quote:

Right, the process of eating and the risk of choking is a lousy comparison to having a vaccination and a risk of having vaccine reaction.

#15 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)

It looks like it is for a flu vaccine.

If you have had the flu vaccine before without issues, it might be fine.

If it is the first flu vaccine you have had ever had, I would do it in front of a doctor or other Hcp in case of immediate severe reaction.

Doctors/hcp are often hesitant to recognize vaccine reactions - I imagine this would be more so for a vaccine they did not administer.  I think people need to keep this in mind if vaccines-at-home become available.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page