Forced Vaccinations: Stepping into Eugenics? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
#241 of 251 Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
 
emma1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Rrrrachel, I understand what you are saying, titers are really quite meaningless, you can be immune to a disease without evidence of antibodies because that disease was contracted naturally and the body developed cell mediated immunity. Vaccination can only provide a humoral (antibody mediated) immune response which we all know wanes and in some cases pretty quickly (mumps, pertussis, flu etc).

 

I have never had chicken pox even though I have been exposed countless times as a child and an adult. I might well no have varicella antibodies (no idea never tested and never will), but I certainly appear to be immune to chicken pox.

 

Frankly, I would be totally against schools requiring titer testing as proof of immunity, because it is not definitive proof by any means.

 

As would I, for the same reason.  Also, non-immune doesn't mean immediate risk...active infection with a contageous disease is what is risky to the public.


Loving mother, Devoted Wife
emma1325 is offline  
#242 of 251 Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 PM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,421
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post

 

 

"you can OBSERVE IT..."

 

Yes, and you can also deny the non-immune school entry to increase the immunity of the herd.  I'm using the SAME logic as you are re: vaccine mandates and how they pertain to public health. 

 

"which is not very useful"

 

It's not?  So immunity is not important? 

 Exactly, it is not about immunity its about ensuring everyone is vaccinated according to the one-size fits all program for the "common good".

kathymuggle likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#243 of 251 Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM
 
emma1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

 

 

You don't get it.  There is not a danger to a small percentage of non immune people in a population.  In small percentages non-immunity doesn't compromise herd immunity.  The percentage of people who don't develop immunity after vaccination is very, very small.  In these people re-vaccination is unlikely to help, unless the primary failure of the vaccine is due to an error like mis administering the vaccine or not adhering to the booster schedule.

 

Lack of immunity is a problem when it happens in larger percentages, because it compromises herd immunity.  The can happen when large percentages choose not to vaccinate or when small percentages choose not to vaccinate but cluster geographically.  People who are non immune due to primary vaccine failure are a smaller percentage and dont' cluster geographically (because they are randomly distributed) so it wouldn't apply to them.

 

There is not something magic about school.  Going to school without being vaccinated does not magically make you dangerous.  School requirements are a way to encourage vaccination, that's it.  It's a carrot/stick.  that's all.

 

Funny, but my child was treated as "magically dangerous" when she wasn't up to date on vaccines when we lived in Mississippi.  My child was found to be medically unable to recieve vaccines by her doctor (MD), and the state didn't care.  We had to leave the state to have the option to send her to school.  I left behind many, many people in similar situations as myself who were financially unable to move out of state. 

 

Keeping up the vaccine rates of the herd at the expense of individual children is not good public health policy, and it is obvious to most anyone who examines the details of this nonsense that profits motivate vaccine mandates, not public health.  But people are welcome to entertain any fantasy they see fit.

Mirzam and Devaskyla like this.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
emma1325 is offline  
#244 of 251 Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 PM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Uh yes, I do, I think seeing a doctor and filling out a form is an acceptable amount of inconvenience for skipping a procedure that protects your child and the rest of society from vaccine preventable diseases. Mystery solved.
That case you linked is terrible and Shouldn't happen, but it is in no way the norm.

Please reread my question. You did not answer it, and your "answer" contained a grossly twisted version of what I asked, with an entirely different meaning. In addition, your answer jumped to conclusions about the protection conferred by the procedure, and didn't even mention invasiveness, nor risks. You pretend that the benefits are a given and the risks non-existent.

Oh, and for non-vaxing parents in Mississippi and West Virginia, the amount of "inconvenience" is not limited to seeing a doctor and filling out a form; that won't get a medical exemption even for children who have had previous severe reaction. Most doctors don't recognize severe reaction even when they see it within hours of a vaccine.

I'll ask it again: You think that there is an acceptable amount of inconvenience to go through in order to prevent your child from being subjected to an invasive procedure against your wishes?
applejuice likes this.
Taximom5 is online now  
#245 of 251 Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 AM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,036
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

 

 

You don't get it.  There is not a danger to a small percentage of non immune people in a population.  In small percentages non-immunity doesn't compromise herd immunity.  The percentage of people who don't develop immunity after vaccination is very, very small.  In these people re-vaccination is unlikely to help, unless the primary failure of the vaccine is due to an error like mis administering the vaccine or not adhering to the booster schedule.

 

Lack of immunity is a problem when it happens in larger percentages, because it compromises herd immunity.  The can happen when large percentages choose not to vaccinate or when small percentages choose not to vaccinate but cluster geographically.  People who are non immune due to primary vaccine failure are a smaller percentage and dont' cluster geographically (because they are randomly distributed) so it wouldn't apply to them.

 

There is not something magic about school.  Going to school without being vaccinated does not magically make you dangerous.  

I do get your point.  

 

I wonder if you get mine and others expressed in this thread.

 

If someone comes on and says non-vaccinated children should not go to school, as we want to keep the number of non-vaxxed kids in school down to protect the herd  (even though those same kids do go to parks, play dates, soccer, ride public transit etc), then pro-vaxxers need to have that requirement placed on them as well.  Diseases such as CP and pertussis have vaccines that are quite ineffective.  If you insist all non-vaxxers  have exemptions or don't go to school for the sake of public health, then it is legitimate to insist vaxxed children have their titres tested or have exemptions to go to school in the case of less effective vaccines and endemic VADs. It is not as if a VAD discriminates between someone who is unimmunized and someone whose immunization did not take.  I do not think it is necessary to check titres for vaccines that are highly effective.  

 

For the record, I do not think exemptions should exist. I have less issues with registering as a non-vaxxer to get into school.  As I do not think exemptions exist, I do not think anyone should have to have their titres checked (really major epidemics not-withstanding).


There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#246 of 251 Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 AM
 
Rrrrrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

 

 

You don't get it.  There is not a danger to a small percentage of non immune people in a population.  In small percentages non-immunity doesn't compromise herd immunity.  The percentage of people who don't develop immunity after vaccination is very, very small.  In these people re-vaccination is unlikely to help, unless the primary failure of the vaccine is due to an error like mis administering the vaccine or not adhering to the booster schedule.

 

Lack of immunity is a problem when it happens in larger percentages, because it compromises herd immunity.  The can happen when large percentages choose not to vaccinate or when small percentages choose not to vaccinate but cluster geographically.  People who are non immune due to primary vaccine failure are a smaller percentage and dont' cluster geographically (because they are randomly distributed) so it wouldn't apply to them.

 

There is not something magic about school.  Going to school without being vaccinated does not magically make you dangerous.  School requirements are a way to encourage vaccination, that's it.  It's a carrot/stick.  that's all.

 

Funny, but my child was treated as "magically dangerous" when she wasn't up to date on vaccines when we lived in Mississippi.  My child was found to be medically unable to recieve vaccines by her doctor (MD), and the state didn't care.  We had to leave the state to have the option to send her to school.  I left behind many, many people in similar situations as myself who were financially unable to move out of state. 

 

Keeping up the vaccine rates of the herd at the expense of individual children is not good public health policy, and it is obvious to most anyone who examines the details of this nonsense that profits motivate vaccine mandates, not public health.  But people are welcome to entertain any fantasy they see fit.


We completely disagree about what motivates vaccine mandates, but that's not a huge surprise. I also disagree that it'd at the expense of the individual child, I wouldn't support that. As I've said many times, the primary reason I vaccinated my child was to protect MY CHILD, the documented and observable benefits of things like herd immunity to society were secondary.

You are belittiling the opinion you disagree with again. It's not very conducive to having a civil conversation.
Rrrrrachel is offline  
#247 of 251 Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 AM
 
Rrrrrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kathy, again, it's not about school.

It's completely inaccurate to say those vaccines are "quite ineffective."
Rrrrrachel is offline  
#248 of 251 Old 11-05-2012, 05:35 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,421
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

 

We completely disagree about what motivates vaccine mandates, but that's not a huge surprise. I also disagree that it'd at the expense of the individual child, I wouldn't support that. As I've said many times, the primary reason I vaccinated my child was to protect MY CHILD, the documented and observable benefits of things like herd immunity to society were secondary.

You are belittiling the opinion you disagree with again. It's not very conducive to having a civil conversation.

 

Of course vaccine policy is at the expense of the individual. If it wasn't there wouldn't be a one-size fits all program and people would would be allowed to choose which vaccines they want for their children and there would be no need for exemptions. The States mandate the CDC recommended vaccines for school/daycare entry because it is the most efficient way to ensure the population is fully vaccinated.  They have to offer exemptions because vaccines are inherently unsafe, of course they have gotten around that one too by protecting the manufacturers with the vaccine compensation court.

 

Vaccine herd immunity is a myth, but they have to keep pushing the hoax on the public or the house of cards would come crashing down.

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#249 of 251 Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 AM
 
Rrrrrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mirzam you keep saying herd immunity is a myth despite studies that show it is real and measurable.
Rrrrrachel is offline  
#250 of 251 Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
emmy526's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Mirzam you keep saying herd immunity is a myth despite studies that show it is real and measurable.

http://gaia-health.com/gaia-blog/2012-03-12/the-science-behind-herd-immunity-and-an-extension-to-gmos/

 

 

 

 

Quote:

The concept of herd immunity, as taken up by proponents of vaccination, is used to accomplish three things:

  • Promote a sense of guilt in nonvaccinators, convince them of the idea that they may be responsible for others—including the vaccinated!—being infected with disease.
  • Encourage an aggressive response from vaccinators against nonvaccinators by giving the impression that those who don’t vaccinate are to blame for disease.
  • Press for governmental enforcement of vaccinations for everyone, regardless of different viewpoints, philosophical ideas, or individual rights—and regardless of the inherent risks of vaccination.
applejuice likes this.
emmy526 is offline  
#251 of 251 Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 AM
 
Mosaic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: La vida loca
Posts: 4,005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In spite of multiple reminders, warnings, etc., there is nothing in the last 4 pages of this thread that is on-topic. I do think they are worthwhile discussions, so feel free to start a new thread about exemptions/force/inconvenience, public health, etc.

I'm going to get admin input on this one and see if I can reopen it, or split it into separate topics, or... something. smile.gif Thanks for your understanding.
applejuice likes this.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Mosaic is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
Vaccinations A Thoughtful Parents Guide How To Make Safe Sensible Decisions About The Risks Benefits , Vaccines , Vaccinations , The Vaccine Controversy The History Use And Safety Of Vaccinations , Saying No To Vaccines , Dont Vaccinate Before You Educate

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off