talk me down - tetanus..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Need some words of wisdom here.....I had to take my 6 yr old son the the ER today - he had to get a staple in his head for a laceration due to being hit (accidentally) with a shovel by his brother. Of course they were digging in the dirt in our yard and the shovel had dirt on it. The wound bled pretty profusely. We do not vaccinate, and of course the question of giving the tetanus vax was raised in the ER - we did decline, but I am having second thoughts....I appreciate any words of wisdom, as well as your time reading this. Thanks so much.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If it bled profusely, I wouldn't be needlessly concerned about it, as the blood "washed" the wound and oxygenated it.  Using some hydrogen peroxide on all wounds (another oxygen source) makes me less worried about the great scary tetanus monster too.  It can always be a worry, but it is so rare, and the wound bled...So it makes the risk much, much less likely than an actual puncture wound like a thorn, nail, animal bite, etc, which did not bleed afterwards.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#3 of 3 Old 10-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree with PP. Also what did they offer you in the ER? If it was anything but the TIG they were not concerned about tetanus. 

shiningpearl and zoeyzoo like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page