Studies demonstrating HPV vaccine is both safe and effective - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
First ... 6  7  8
Vaccinations > Studies demonstrating HPV vaccine is both safe and effective
Taximom5's Avatar Taximom5 08:56 PM 11-26-2012

How odd, then, that the persistence of polio in third-world countries is due to the vaccine: http://www.dailypaul.com/259831/vaccine-induced-strain-of-polio-sweeping-india

prosciencemum's Avatar prosciencemum 03:11 PM 11-28-2012
Is just not true. Vaccine induced cases of polio are very rare and not a significant fraction of cases even in the third world.

India announced it has been polio free for a year recently. Let's hope that a final push in the final few countries with any significant numbers of cases (Afghanistan, Pakistan and Niger? I think) erradicates it completely soon
erigeron 04:46 PM 11-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I'm guessing most people on a site like mothering agree its best to avoid pharmaceuticals you don't need. Heck, I'm guessing most people in general agree with that.

To be entirely fair, in my offline life as a pharmacist I do encounter a decent amount of people taking stuff they don't actually need on the grounds that it probably won't hurt even if it doesn't help. (Mostly with OTC stuff.) I think it often comes down to ignorance, either inadvertent or willful. They don't know what would be the best treatment, so they just pick something that seems vaguely likely, OR they know that X probably isn't the thing to treat Y but they took it before (when they had something different) and it worked so they're going to take it anyway. 

/offtopic

Mirzam's Avatar Mirzam 05:03 PM 11-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Is just not true. Vaccine induced cases of polio are very rare and not a significant fraction of cases even in the third world.

India announced it has been polio free for a year recently. Let's hope that a final push in the final few countries with any significant numbers of cases (Afghanistan, Pakistan and Niger? I think) erradicates it completely soon

No, vaccine induced polio is not rare, but they make it look that way because it has been renamed, accute flacid paralysis.

From: CDC and Friends Sprinting Towards the Polio "Finish Line"

beckybird's Avatar beckybird 05:14 PM 11-28-2012

As India declares itself "polio-free", what about this:

“There were 47,500 cases of non-polio paralysis reported in 2011, the same year India was declared ‘polio-free,’ according to Dr. Vashisht and Dr. Puliyel.” Further, “the available data shows that the incidents tracked back to areas were doses of the polio vaccine were frequently administered. The national rate of NPAFP in India is 25-35 times the international average.”

Rrrrrachel's Avatar Rrrrrachel 06:02 PM 11-28-2012
As I recall there was a reaaalllyyyy long thread about this awhile ago.
Rrrrrachel's Avatar Rrrrrachel 06:19 PM 11-28-2012
prosciencemum's Avatar prosciencemum 12:23 AM 11-30-2012
Thanks for the link Rrrrrachel - that was a really interesting discussion about something I'd not heard about before actually. smile.gif

It'll be interesting to see when India decides it should switch to te safer, but less effective and more expensive version of the vaccine which does not carry a risk of vaccine induced polio. I wouldnt be surprised is wealthy Indians aren't already choosing that for their families.
Tags: The Hpv Vaccine Controversy Sex Cancer God And Politics A Guide For Parents Women Men And Teenagers , Hpv And Cervical Dysplasia A Naturopathic Approach Woodland Health Series , The Vaccine Book Making The Right Decision For Your Child Sears Parenting Library , Dont Vaccinate Before You Educate , The Cutter Incident How Americas First Polio Vaccine Led To The Growing Vaccine Crisis , The Virus And The Vaccine Contaminated Vaccine Deadly Cancers And Government Neglect
First ... 6  7  8

Up