Studies demonstrating HPV vaccine is both safe and effective - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 218 Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

How odd, then, that the persistence of polio in third-world countries is due to the vaccine: http://www.dailypaul.com/259831/vaccine-induced-strain-of-polio-sweeping-india

#212 of 218 Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Is just not true. Vaccine induced cases of polio are very rare and not a significant fraction of cases even in the third world.

India announced it has been polio free for a year recently. Let's hope that a final push in the final few countries with any significant numbers of cases (Afghanistan, Pakistan and Niger? I think) erradicates it completely soon

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#213 of 218 Old 11-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I'm guessing most people on a site like mothering agree its best to avoid pharmaceuticals you don't need. Heck, I'm guessing most people in general agree with that.

To be entirely fair, in my offline life as a pharmacist I do encounter a decent amount of people taking stuff they don't actually need on the grounds that it probably won't hurt even if it doesn't help. (Mostly with OTC stuff.) I think it often comes down to ignorance, either inadvertent or willful. They don't know what would be the best treatment, so they just pick something that seems vaguely likely, OR they know that X probably isn't the thing to treat Y but they took it before (when they had something different) and it worked so they're going to take it anyway. 

/offtopic

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#214 of 218 Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Is just not true. Vaccine induced cases of polio are very rare and not a significant fraction of cases even in the third world.

India announced it has been polio free for a year recently. Let's hope that a final push in the final few countries with any significant numbers of cases (Afghanistan, Pakistan and Niger? I think) erradicates it completely soon

No, vaccine induced polio is not rare, but they make it look that way because it has been renamed, accute flacid paralysis.

From: CDC and Friends Sprinting Towards the Polio "Finish Line"

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#215 of 218 Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

As India declares itself "polio-free", what about this:

“There were 47,500 cases of non-polio paralysis reported in 2011, the same year India was declared ‘polio-free,’ according to Dr. Vashisht and Dr. Puliyel.” Further, “the available data shows that the incidents tracked back to areas were doses of the polio vaccine were frequently administered. The national rate of NPAFP in India is 25-35 times the international average.”

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#216 of 218 Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 PM

As I recall there was a reaaalllyyyy long thread about this awhile ago.
#217 of 218 Old 11-28-2012, 05:19 PM

#218 of 218 Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Thanks for the link Rrrrrachel - that was a really interesting discussion about something I'd not heard about before actually. smile.gif

It'll be interesting to see when India decides it should switch to te safer, but less effective and more expensive version of the vaccine which does not carry a risk of vaccine induced polio. I wouldnt be surprised is wealthy Indians aren't already choosing that for their families.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Tags
The Hpv Vaccine Controversy Sex Cancer God And Politics A Guide For Parents Women Men And Teenagers , Hpv And Cervical Dysplasia A Naturopathic Approach Woodland Health Series , The Vaccine Book Making The Right Decision For Your Child Sears Parenting Library , Dont Vaccinate Before You Educate , The Cutter Incident How Americas First Polio Vaccine Led To The Growing Vaccine Crisis , The Virus And The Vaccine Contaminated Vaccine Deadly Cancers And Government Neglect

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page