'Evidence-Based' Medicine: A Coin's Flip Worth of Certainty - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I dont' really understand your point.  The rate of mmr vaccination DROPPED in the years immediately following wakefield and rose after he was discredited.  This has already been explained.  That seems the relevant statistic to assess the influence of the study on vaccination rates.

Either way, I've said my piece about this.  Other people disagree.  that's cool.  I'm not going back and forth about what is, ostensibly, a matter of opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

nm ... double post ...

Pro rights (vaxes).
Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

The rate of mmr vaccination DROPPED in the years immediately following wakefield and rose after he was discredited.  This has already been explained.  That seems the relevant statistic to assess the influence of the study on vaccination rates.

WHO/Unicef data does - not - support this statement.

Yes, there was a dip in the UK.  However, this does - not - imply there was a dip in the overall MMR vax rate.  No dip in the US.  No dip in Canada.  No dip in Germany.  Etc.  

For those who haven't checked it out yet, I linked an app from WHO that plots the historical rate at any country - hover over the country name, then a plot shows up.  Double click a country name, the plot stays, then you can hover a different country, to compare the rates if desired.  Hover over any point in the plot, it shows you the rate at that point.

Anyway, the question is, how does the - overall - rate change over time?  WHO/Unicef has data of rates by regions, per Europe, Asia etc as shown in the WHO report below.

Bottomline, for MMR, no dip overall after Wakefield.

Here's the full data:

Immunization Summary - A statistical reference containing data through 2009 (2011 edition)

http://www.childinfo.org/files/32775_UNICEF.pdf

A snapshot for MMR - this is page xii from the report above:

Pro rights (vaxes).

User Tag List