NJ Bill to allow pharmacists to administer vaccines to children over 14 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

http://www.statescape.com/SSBillText/NJ20122013/NJ_20122013_AB_003251_Current_2932.htm

Quote:
[a] pharmacist may administer drugs to a patient 14 years of age or older pursuant to a prescription by a New Jersey licensed physician for a vaccine and related emergency medications, in immunization programs implemented pursuant to a New Jersey licensed physician’s standing order for the vaccine and related emergency medications, or in immunization programs and programs sponsored by governmental agencies that are not patient specific,

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Great.  A pharmacist would then be able to give vaccinations to children who might have medical contraindications, and the pharmacist would have no way of knowing the child's medical record.

This looks like a back-door way to get around parental consent, like they did in California.  Bring a pharmacist to the schools, and 
"grab'em and stab'em."  Children who are non-verbal (say, those who recently immigrated from other countries, or those with severe AUTISM) would not be able to tell the pharmacist that they have had previous severe reactions, and would not be able to tell anyone at home that they'd received a vaccine at school that day.

#3 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
That does seems concerning. I would rather children be vaccinated with doctors and nurses present.

Why is it more likely a pharmacist would go to a school to do vaccinations than a doctor or nurse?

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
And why would a pharmacist be exempt from the standard requirements concerning parental consent?

The "grab and stab" tactic described is wildly unethical, but putting pharmacists in the picture doesn't change the legal or ethical situation.
#5 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From reading the bill it doesn't seem to change the informed consent that exists, only that it lowers the age that pharmacist can inject from 18 to 14.

I am okay with this for two reasons. One pharmacists are educated healthcare professionals. and Two sadly many Americans don't have other access to healthcare and this can help alleviate. Nothing in the bill that I read is forcing anyone to take their 14 year old to a pharmacy for vaccines, just allowing the option.
#6 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

a] pharmacist may administer drugs to a patient 14 years of age or older pursuant to a prescription by a New Jersey licensed physician for a vaccine

It sounds like there still has to be a prescription from a physician in order to administer the vaccine.  It's not taking physicians entirely out of the picture.

That's how it is in a state where I lived...the physician would write a prescription for the vaccination, hand the prescription to the patient, and the patient would go to the pharmacy for the vaccine.  For some patients, the cost (with insurance) was much cheaper through the pharmacy than it is through a physician office because some insurances cover it under their prescription programs if the pharmacist gives it.  

I don't see a problem with having pharmacists give vaccines to patients 14 and up.  They are trained medical professionals.

#7 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 01:48 PM

As long as a thorough health history is still taken and it doesn't undermine having a relationship with a GP I don't have a problem with it.  If it creates a situation where insurance companies are denying well child visits or the like because you should just go to the pharmacist to get a host, I have a problem with it.

#8 of 15 Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

As long as a thorough health history is still taken and it doesn't undermine having a relationship with a GP I don't have a problem with it.  If it creates a situation where insurance companies are denying well child visits or the like because you should just go to the pharmacist to get a host, I have a problem with it.

That is a good point. Most (all?) insurance companies seems like they will try to do anything to cut corners on their costs - even at the detriment of their customers's health.

If this is just about making it easier for people to get vaccines after they have been recommended by increasing the number of different ways they're available, then I guess I'm OK with it though. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#9 of 15 Old 12-01-2012, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
This is New Jersey we're talking about, where vaccines are not just recommended, but mandated. New Jersey is also home to most of the US vaccine manufacturers. What a surprise.
#10 of 15 Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 PM

In Ohio pharmacists can already administer the flu shot for patients 14 and up (all other shots administered by pharmacists they need to be 18 and up). It doesn't negate informed consent. I'm sure there are similar laws in other states already as well. For anybody who is really paranoid about clinics in the schools, I don't see that this really changes anything versus having them staffed by nurses. I don't see the fuss here.

#11 of 15 Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

In Ohio pharmacists can already administer the flu shot for patients 14 and up (all other shots administered by pharmacists they need to be 18 and up). It doesn't negate informed consent. I'm sure there are similar laws in other states already as well. For anybody who is really paranoid about clinics in the schools, I don't see that this really changes anything versus having them staffed by nurses. I don't see the fuss here.

Vaccines used to be administered in school.  Along with checking for lice and scoliosis. 

#12 of 15 Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM

Well, yeah, I figured that. I don't remember ever getting a vaccine in school, but enough stories have come up here. But why should it matter if it's a pharmacist versus a nurse who's administering them? 

#13 of 15 Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Well, yeah, I figured that. I don't remember ever getting a vaccine in school, but enough stories have come up here. But why should it matter if it's a pharmacist versus a nurse who's administering them? 

It shouldn't really.  My point was that it's not NEW.  These are things that have been done before. 

#14 of 15 Old 12-02-2012, 09:01 PM

So we agree then. Carry on. :)

#15 of 15 Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 PM

See, I don't have a problem with this. Pharmacists tend to have doctorate degrees, in pharmaceuticals, no? I mean, the 20 yr old medical assistant who gives shots at many peds offices has a 9 month certification. And public health offices usually have a nurse on site who does injections. There's still the element of parental consent (or patient consent, if we are talking an adult). I don't see the big deal.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page