Vaccinating Pregnant Women - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I came upon this article...your thoughts?

Quote:
Oscar Neil Duffy 

On the 1st November 2012, I had the Flu Vaccine and the Whooping cough Vaccine. My son Oscar died in my womb on or around the 5th November and was stillborn (An Angel) on the November 11, 2012. 

The redness of the face on this photo was due to him being kept in refrigeration for a week... with the regards to the dummy we did that for the children as his mouth was very black, and we wanted his brothers and sisters to see him and say goodbye.

Although the connection has yet to be proven, we believe strongly that the two vaccines contributed to his death and are now campaigning for 'Oscar's Law' to be passed to ensure that parents are provided with all the relevant information to make an informed choice concerning vaccinations. 

https://www.facebook.com/notes/oscars-law/draft-of-what-oscars-law-should-be/383509378400286

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=385788458166270&set=a.384979511580498.87711.372638272814622&type=1&theater
#2 of 5 Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

How sad.

From the facebook article, the mother writes, I think she is from the UK:

Quote:
[t]he Whooping Cough vaccine that was brought in on the 1st October 2012, the department of health issued there leaflet to advertise the vaccine.  The vaccine did not state the name of the Vaccine or any of the manufactures warnings.  After Oscar died I approached our Practice manger and confronted her with this leaflet and asked why we were not given the manufactures leaflet, she stated that they are only allowed to hand this brochure out and even if we had asked for the manufacture leaflet they are not allowed to issue it.  

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 5 Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's interestingly misinformation re the manufacturers handout. I am not allowed to consent to my child's vaccines - in the UK - without signing that I've understood the warnings etc.

You can't get a law passed on a belief. It needs to be proven. What was the medical opinion of cause of death?
#4 of 5 Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM

My thoughts are that this woman ihas suffered a tremendous loss. She needs support, and I am glad her campaign is providing her an outlet to aid in her healing process. I also hope she obtains grief counseling in addition to her activism. The loss of a child is so profound and this is a fresh pain that she must work through. As such, those that have essentially hacked her page and responded with unkind words are repulsive to me.

My thoughts on her actual campaign (which I assume is what is to be debated). Is that it is shortsighted, and has no hope of ever being enacted. First, she is basing everything on a belief You can't start legislating on an individuals beliefs. Which of the vaccines does she believe caused this? What was the mechanism for the damage? She will have to answer questions like those. If we allowed laws to be passed because of someones dedication to a belief will no proof we would have all sorts of laws with limited practicality.

Second, the three things she is requesting are problematic. First, she wants every pregnant woman to be given a leaflet with the potential side effects and risks of the vaccine. I actually agree wtih that and think it should go beyond and go for EVERY PERSON, not just pregnant women. I have also always gotten those (but I am not in the UK so that may be different). But the side effects listed would not include what happened to her, because that is not proven in any way and again you can't list everything everyperson believes.

The 7 day "cooling off" period is paternalistic and unrealistic. If a woman gets the side effects and wants to the vaccines, they should not be forced to wait a week to get them because this woman has intutition that she shouldn't get them. What is the value of this? I am opposed to any waiting period for legal medical procedures that individuals want and have had informed consent on.

The medical establishments prohbition for allowing them more than one vaccine a day is also odd and not the goverments business. While I personally probably woulld only get one vaccine at a time, the decision is between a doctor and a patient, not the government

I
#5 of 5 Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Banned

Yeah that to Dakotacakes. I agree she really needs to focus on her grief and working through that. Having such a campaign like this might not even be helpful to that process.

If people enacted laws on beliefs they would become meaningless.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page