Vaccinating a 9 yo for the first time - which ones are most important? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
 
Attila the Honey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: swimming with sharks
Posts: 2,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We didn't vax when dd was a baby or a toddler.  I've since come to believe that wasn't the right decision for us, at least not anymore, and I want to vax her for a variety of reasons.  Especially now that she is nearing her teens/adulthood I want to vax her for mumps and chicken pox and meningitis.  She's a very active, explore-y and nature loving kid, so tetanus is important to us as well.  Polio, maybe not so much, but I am not sure. 

 

We have a doc that is very comfortable with not vaxing and selectively vaxing, as well as vaxing on schedule for those who choose that, so I know I can contact her and get her input and I plan on doing that.  But, until then I am wondering which ones to start with and why?  Which ones to not worry about and why?  Also, how to plan it out so she isn't getting a billion shots at once.


flowersforyou.gif

Attila the Honey is offline  
#2 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Banned
 
lilabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She really needs to get MMR as soon as possible. And depending on where you live I'd think about TB. That's a big one for us because we live in the centre of a big city.
lilabet is offline  
#3 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,365
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

If you believe antibodies are an indication of immunity, why don't you have her titres measured and go from there?


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#4 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Banned
 
lilabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good idea.

(Although not sure why you say "if you believe..." - I don't get that. )
lilabet is offline  
#5 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
 
Attila the Honey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: swimming with sharks
Posts: 2,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabet View Post

She really needs to get MMR as soon as possible. And depending on where you live I'd think about TB. That's a big one for us because we live in the centre of a big city.

 

Any particular reason why?  (On the MMR)  I know mumps is dangerous to have as you get older because it can affect fertility, but other than that those were childhood diseases I wasn't really as worried about as some of the others.  School me! :D


flowersforyou.gif

Attila the Honey is offline  
#6 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,365
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabet View Post

Good idea.

(Although not sure why you say "if you believe..." - I don't get that. )

Because there is more to immunity than antibodies. Studies have shown you can have antibodies to a pathogen but no real immunity. 


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#7 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 AM
 
Rrrrrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Getting titers tested is expensive, I think.

I would start with Dtap (or whichever version of Dtap is age appropriate) and mrr, too. Mmr is no longer available (in the us) as separate shots, so if you want her vaccinated for mumps you will have to do mmr, I think. I think you're smart to do meningitis and chicken pox, too. Pneumococcal will help protect her from pneumonia, that was an important one to me.

I wouldn't get a lot of vaccines at once just because if there's some kind of reaction I want to have a more specific idea which one caused it. I think how many and how often is a matter of your comfort level and convenience, though.
Rrrrrachel is offline  
#8 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Banned
 
lilabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember my sister having Rubella and there being a real chance she would die.

Mumps because of the fertility and pregnancy thing.

Measles because I am a strong advocate of herd immunity.

That's an interesting view re antibodies.
lilabet is offline  
#9 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 AM
 
Rrrrrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And if you're concerned about meningitis consider HIB, too.
Rrrrrachel is offline  
#10 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
 
Attila the Honey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: swimming with sharks
Posts: 2,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mirzamm,  we looked into titers a few years ago, even though she was homeschooled when she was around 5-6 she started spending a lot more time around groups of children.  Anyway, our insurance wouldn't cover it and iirc it was about $350.

 

Lilabet, thank you.  That is the kind of information I was looking for - until now I really had no idea rubella could be that serious.  I don't know that herd immunity factors that much into my decision because if you are vaccinated aren't you immune?  Therefore, is an unvaxed person a threat to those who believe in vaccinations and have been vaccinated?  (I could be wrong, I am trying to sort through what I have learned over the years and what is actually true.)

 

Rrrrrachel,  that is a very good suggestion about not doing them all at once.  I probably wouldn't have thought of that.  Thanks! 


flowersforyou.gif

Attila the Honey is offline  
#11 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Banned
 
lilabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh yes def DTaP and Meningitis. Chicken Pox is a maybe one that I'd leave for later. There's a lot for her to catch up on!!

 

Has she had any of the childhood illnesses, maybe you could rule them out for the time being?

 

You probably don't want her having 10 shots in one day but you do want her caught up as quickly as possible. 

lilabet is offline  
#12 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabet View Post

I remember my sister having Rubella and there being a real chance she would die.
.

 

From rubella?????

 

I am glad she survived - but wow…..there are so few death from rubella (even before vaccination) that your sister is truly one in a million to get so close to death from rubella.

 

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/G/cases&deaths.pdf

Turquesa likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#13 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Banned
 
lilabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, England
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. It really wasn't good.

I have no idea why anyone would risk it! It is a horrifically uncomfortable illness also.
lilabet is offline  
#14 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabet View Post

Yes. It really wasn't good.
I have no idea why anyone would risk it! It is a horrifically uncomfortable illness also.

 

Anecdotes do not equal data.


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#15 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 01:49 PM
 
Rrrrrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happy to edit.
Rrrrrachel is offline  
#16 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 02:41 PM
 
Mosaic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: La vida loca
Posts: 4,005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bokonon: Sarcasm that contributes nothing to the discussion isn't welcome here. Edit or I can delete it for you.
Rrrrachel: this thread isn't about Bokonon. Edit or I can delete it for you.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Mosaic is offline  
#17 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 02:44 PM
 
Rrrrrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happy to edit. Feel free to delete so it doesn't look funny if you'd like.
Rrrrrachel is offline  
#18 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 PM
 
HappyHappyMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,920
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Hi All: As a reminder, please be respectful of the diversity of opinions at MDC and refrain from using terms like "willfullly careless" to describe those who do or do not vax. I have removed posts that included this language and am issuing infractions.


hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

HappyHappyMommy is offline  
#19 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
Attila the Honey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: swimming with sharks
Posts: 2,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MayoClinic online, which strikes me as pretty mainstream, doesn't seem to support that rubella is a horrifically uncomfortable illness.  In fact, it says that the symptoms are usually so mild that they aren't noticed and when they are it's 2-3 days of a mild fever, stuffy nose, a rash, red eyes, swollen glands and a headache.  I am not doubting that your sister was very ill with it, but that seems to not be at all typical of rubella. 

 

My husband was not onboard with vaccinating with the MMR because he feels they are all usually minor childhood diseases, and he and his brothers had them all and they are all fine.  Again, the mayoclinic online says that mumps rarely leads to infertility, which was my main reason for wanting to get her the MMR.  So, I am up in the air when it comes to that one, but I am still wanting to get her some vaccinations.  And, I am not completely disregarding the herd immunity points that were brought up, either.  I am just a bit overwhelmed with how to prioritize which ones to get and when.

 

I am going to call the doctor's office in the morning and set up a meeting with her.


flowersforyou.gif

Attila the Honey is offline  
#20 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 PM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey View Post

  So, I am up in the air when it comes to that one, but I am still wanting to get her some vaccinations. 

Why?  (you do not have to defend the decision or answer…just curious)

 

How old is she?

 

Would waiting be an option and letting her have some say in it (which is appropriate, in my mind, for someone in their teens) - although I know others differ on this.  


There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#21 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,265
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

I didn't see anyone mention and not sure if you know but in the US  tetanus is a combo- you can't get it split up so you are giving more there.


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#22 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
Attila the Honey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: swimming with sharks
Posts: 2,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want her to get the chicken pox vaccine because she hasn't yet caught it and I know it can be a serious to get it in your teens and adult years.  I want her to get a DTaP primarily to prevent Tetanus, which scares me, so maybe I might just do a tetanus shot..  I want her to get HiB, Hepatitis, Pneumococcal and Meningococcal, and HPV because I feel these diseases are serious and scary, as well.  MMR and Polio, well, I am less concerned with but I am not entirely sure I should be.  What else is there?  Rotavirus does not concern me one bit.  And I don't know how I feel about the flu vaccine.

 

So, the short answer is because now that dd is older and "out in the world" more and more, and now that she hasn't naturally come down with some of the childhood disease, I feel it's more imprtant to vaccinate.


flowersforyou.gif

Attila the Honey is offline  
#23 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 06:46 PM
 
Rrrrrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You couldn't get the rotavirus vaccine at her age even if you wanted to.
Rrrrrachel is offline  
#24 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
 
Attila the Honey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: swimming with sharks
Posts: 2,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

You couldn't get the rotavirus vaccine at her age even if you wanted to.

 

Well, then good thing I don't want it.  LOL   But, that makes total sense.


flowersforyou.gif

Attila the Honey is offline  
#25 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)

Why don't you make a chart - diseases that you feel are scary and she is likely to get  might be first to vax for?

 

I would read over all the discussions on HPV lately.  I do not vax, but even if I did, I would have second thoughts on this vaccines. A few pro-vax people expressed hesitation around that vaccine…..

 

Good luck with your appointment!  Spread em out an make sure she is not ill at all when you do them (I am sure you know this, but just in case……)


There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#26 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 PM
 
MichelleZB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Yeah, I always thought that the thing about Rubella wasn't that it was really serious when you got it, but that it could kill a fetus if you got it during your pregnancy, and for that reason, they recommend women of childbearing age stay up to date on their MMR.

 

Just make sure she gets polio. It's not prevalent here, but it is still common in some parts of the world. And it's really, really serious.

 

As for the flu shot, that's not a vaccine you decide on once. You have to get it every year (or not). So she can make that decision for herself once a year as an adult.

MichelleZB is offline  
#27 of 27 Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 AM
 
talktomenow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey, Attila! I am in the same situation. I did not vax my 8 yo and 10 yo. When I got pregnant with my now 1 yo, I decided to rethink my decision and do some more research. I now feel that vaccines are safe and helpful. My 1 yo is being fully vaxed. Anyway, I made a plan with my girls' doctor concerning getting them caught up. My priorities are diseases I feel pose a threat to my dds, and diseases I feel they could potentially spread to the immunocompromised or infants. So I started with MMR, Tdap, and Varicella. My reasoning was the potential spread of measles and pertussis to others and the risk of contracting chicken pox. I do not have their records or my plan with me at the moment, but the next step was/ is polio.  My lowest priority is Hep B, as I do not think they are at risk. However, they will probably eventually get it. I haven't looked into HPV yet, but I believe it and MCV aren't due yet anyway. I could be leaving some out! We are still at the beginning of the process.

 

As for what my girls' think, I sat them down and explained the decision I made when they were babies and the way I feel now. I was not going to force vaccinations on them, but I did tell them how important I felt it was that they get vaccinated. They both agreed. I also let them help choose the schedule. My 8 yo wants no more than two shots per visit, so she has to go pretty frequently. My 10 yo wants less visits, so she had four shots at her first visit. The 8 yo had a mild reaction to Tdap (low fever, sore arm), and my 10 yo has been fine. 

 

Good luck! 


Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).
 

talktomenow is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off