flu shot poll - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Are you getting your child the flu vaccine this year?
Yes 25 18.25%
No 112 81.75%
Yes, but only because I'm required 0 0%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 101 Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 AM
A&A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Dh, our kids, and I all got the flu shot this year.  We made sure to get the mercury-free (single dose vial) shot.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 101 Old 01-12-2013, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No we don't get the flu shot.  My poor husband is on his second round  of flu-like symptoms right now though.   I hope my kids don't get it because my dh is in so much pain.  I say flu like because he hasn't been seen by a Dr. either time, so we don't know for sure that it is the flu.  But damn it sucks.  It's not "no big deal". 

caffix.gif

#33 of 101 Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM

I got talked into the flu vaccine for my son, who was almost eighteen months at the time. He had a bad reaction to it (swelling and itching on his face, high fever, hives, swelling at the injection site). He does NOT have an egg allergy.

He ran a high fever for several weeks after the vaccination and has not been totally well since. He stopped eating, started becoming very irritable, and started having occasional vomiting, texture aversion, instability when walking, pale skin, and occasional fevers.

This past Wednesday, he had to have a blood transfusion due to extremely low hemoglobin, iron, protein, and albumin.

He has now developed severe behavioral issues including tantrums I refer to as meltdowns. He refuses to feed himself and is terrified of strangers. He developed a habit where he rubs the corners of his mouth with his thumbs.

After a barrage of tests ruling out physical causes (still waiting on the brain MRI scheduled for Monday), the doctors think he might have autism.

Can I say with any certainty that his issues were caused by the vaccine? Nope. But I can tell you one thing: he will NEVER get the flu vaccine again.

All the statistics and studies in the world mean NOTHING when something like this happens to your child.
#34 of 101 Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Kathymuggle, Cochrane doesn't have much good to say for the flu shot for people with asthma.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#35 of 101 Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 View Post

I got talked into the flu vaccine for my son, who was almost eighteen months at the time. He had a bad reaction to it (swelling and itching on his face, high fever, hives, swelling at the injection site). He does NOT have an egg allergy.

He ran a high fever for several weeks after the vaccination and has not been totally well since. He stopped eating, started becoming very irritable, and started having occasional vomiting, texture aversion, instability when walking, pale skin, and occasional fevers.

This past Wednesday, he had to have a blood transfusion due to extremely low hemoglobin, iron, protein, and albumin.

He has now developed severe behavioral issues including tantrums I refer to as meltdowns. He refuses to feed himself and is terrified of strangers. He developed a habit where he rubs the corners of his mouth with his thumbs.

After a barrage of tests ruling out physical causes (still waiting on the brain MRI scheduled for Monday), the doctors think he might have autism.

Can I say with any certainty that his issues were caused by the vaccine? Nope. But I can tell you one thing: he will NEVER get the flu vaccine again.

All the statistics and studies in the world mean NOTHING when something like this happens to your child.

I am so sorry this happened to your child!!!
#36 of 101 Old 01-13-2013, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

I am so sorry this happened to your child!!!

I tried to write this in the little thumbs-up area, but it's not working for me. Anyway, I echo this sentiment.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#37 of 101 Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Kathymuggle, Cochrane doesn't have much good to say for the flu shot for people with asthma.

Thanks. 

Here is what Cochrane had to say on influenza vaccine and asthma, I agree it is not all that positive.

http://www.thecochranelibrary.com/userfiles/ccoch/file/CD000364.pdf

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#38 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 View Post

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I'm sure you've been told it's a total; coincidence too. How frustrating!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#39 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM

We all got the flu shot this year.  My husband teaches germ infested college kids and my son goes to school all day.  I stay home with my younger son, but we both got vaccinated as well since dh and ds carry all the nasties home with them.  My younger son is also highly prone to respiratory infection and has been hospitalized with pneumonia in the past.  The flu would wreak havoc on him.  We also take vitamin D in winter, wash hands regularly and eat whole nutritious food year round.  I'm a middle of the road kind of person, I think.  I take what I feel is best from both modern and natural medicine.  None of us has ever had the flu.  I like to think it's because of all the precautions we take, but who knows...maybe it's just luck.

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#40 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 03:37 PM

We don't do the flu vaccine, or any other vaccines.  The risks, known and unknown, are not worth it to us.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#41 of 101 Old 01-14-2013, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)

I voted, but my first choice of "HELL NO" was not in the poll!

Will have to settle for a simple "no" instead orngtongue.gif

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#42 of 101 Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM

NO flu shots, but instead....Natural Remedies for preventing the flu

· Colloidal Silver --Possibly one of the most important medical roles for colloidal silver is it's ability to destroy pandemic flu viruses and deadly pathogens like methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA. Colloidal silver not only stops bacteria and the flu virus in its tracks after being infected, but protects against contagion. Take colloidal silver prophylactically as soon as you experience the first symptoms of illness to ward off a full-blown attack. Prophylactic treatment involves adults taking a teaspoon or two daily during flu season. Children can take one-half to one teaspoon daily depending on age and weight.?

· Influenzinum nosode -- Taken in low potency such as 9C or 12C used once a month during flu season, homeopathic Influenzinum will prevent the flu and flu-like viruses. Mix one pellet in four ounces of water and sniff. Don't inhale the water. This is called an olfactory dose and helps prevent side effects. Influenzinum is only available from your homeopath or a homeopathic pharmacy.

· Oscillococcinum -- Homeopathic Oscillococcinum also prevents flu from taking a foothold. If you know you've been exposed or at the first sign of symptoms, dissolve a pellet in the same manner as mentioned above and sniff the remedy once or twice a day for three days to boost your immune system. Shortens the duration of the flu for some people. Available at all stores that sell homeopathic remedies.

· Garlic tea -- A well-known immune system strengthener, garlic shines as an antibacterial and antiviral for fighting colds, coughs and especially the flu. One of the best ways to take advantage of garlic's healing properties is by drinking fresh garlic tea sweetened with a little raw honey

Home remedies for treating the flu

· Chicken soup -- Take advantage of the high antioxidant properties and nutrients to fight the flu by eating lots of chicken soup. and antibiotics that are not recommended for well being. In addition to vitamins and minerals found in vegetables, bone broth made by cooking chicken home-made is a strong immune system builder and provides numerous trace minerals to support healing. Use organic chicken and vegetables to obtain the best of the nutrients provided.

· Mullein -- Tea made from the herb Mullein relieves chest congestion from coughs, colds and the flu. It acts as an expectorant, loosening trapped mucous in airways and soothing painful sore throats. Mullein supports the immune system as well, during the flu and may be used prophylactically to prevent flu by drinking the tea daily during an epidemic.

· Gelsemium -- Used to alleviate general flu symptoms, homeopathic Gelsemium is indicated for aches and pains, weakness, dizziness, shaking, occipital headache at the back of head and neck, drowsiness, paralysis, drooping eye lids.

· Belladonna -- Homeopathic Belladonna is indicated when the onset of flu illness is sudden and very intense, high fever, red face, pulsating veins and throbbing headache often worse on the right side, stiff neck, hot, glassy-eyed, delirious, lack of thirst.

· Bryonia -- Bone and muscle pain made worse from any motion indicates homeopathic Bryonia along with other symptoms such as chills, fever, headache, thirst for large quantities of cold water, painful cough, dryness of mucus membranes.

· Eupatorium perfoliatum -- Symptoms look similar to Bryonia with intense body aches, high fever, cough and terrible chills running up the back. The difference is the person needing Eupatorium will be restless and change position frequently, whereas Bryonia prefers no movement at all.

Homeopathic Pharmacy List:
Resource list: Find qualified homeopathic practitioners and reliable long-distance homeopathic pharmacies for hard-to-find remedies
http://www.naturalnews.com

Sources for this article include:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/garlic/
http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_coughs.htm
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/cough-000042.htm
http://ygoy.com
http://www.naturalnews.com/026156_flu_natural_the.html
http://www.holisticonline.com/remedies/flu/flu_homeopathy.htm
Boericke, William; Materia Medica and Repertory; Jain Publishing, 1998

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/038689_flu_pandemic_home_remedies_influenza.html#ixzz2I3T6Fbn7

#43 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 AM

We requested the flu mist for our son.  It is reported to be free of thimerosal.

#44 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I am with Becky... my 6 children have not had a single vaccine and as far as I know have never had the flu or any other vpd. I may have had the flu once or twice but never been tested, so who knows since most flu-type syptoms reported aren't actually influenza.

#45 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 AM

My 5 year old received the nasal flu vaccine because we have an infant in the house, he has never gotten the shot only the nasal one.  I got the stomach bug AND the flu at the same time just before Christmas (I did not get the vaccine)  It was BAD and I ended up with pneumonia.  Thankfully because I breastfeed my 5 month old baby weathered the storm gracefully (at least as far as the viruses go).  Neither my son nor my husband got it, possibly because I could hardly get out of bed.  There is no right or wrong, only what is right for you and your comfort level.  Good luck and remember to wash your hands, hand sanitizer does NOT work!

#46 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM

After thoroughly researching this question, we always get a flu shot, specifying mercury-free.

As John Ruskin wrote, "The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances, and demonstrations for impressions." Appearances and impressions may seem convincing, but if they don't stand up to scientific scrutiny, they have no validity. Like Dr. Sears, I am pro-vaccine and pro-information. See "Dr. Robert Sears Takes on Both Sides of the Vaccination Debate" at http://www.ocweekly.com/2012-08-09/news/doctor-robert-sears-vaccine-debate/ for a sane discussion of this topic. An alternative lifestyle shouldn't mean that science is thrown out the window! As Thomas Huxley wrote, "Science is nothing but trained and organized common sense."

I wish this poll had started with a neutral question instead of linking to a negative article. That kind of beginning has almost certainly skewed the results.

#47 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janhunt View Post

I wish this poll had started with a neutral question instead of linking to a negative article. That kind of beginning has almost certainly skewed the results.

I doubt it.  A lot of people who answered probably did not even read the link - they just voted.  The flu vaccine does not seem very popular here

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#48 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM

We went ahead and got the (preservative-free) vaccination yesterday.  It was not an easy choice.  I am grateful that we have vaccines for diseases that permanently affect mobility, vision and hearing, like polio and smallpox.  But that doesn't mean I accept all vaccines.  The flu shot is a difficult decision every time.

When ever I'm trying to make the choice, I think of a conversation I had with a woman who was visiting from Japan some years ago, when dd was a baby.  She had a daughter the same age, and was surprised it was an issue for me.  She said that despite the risks and possible lack of effectiveness, we get the flu shot to protect our elders.  To her it was simply irresponsible to walk around with your self or your child carrying a possibly preventable flu when you'll be meeting people in stores and restaurants who may actually die if they get it.  To her it was a brave thing we do to protect others, despite the risk of personal harm to ourselves and our children.  

There are reasons this argument does not fully convince me.  I feel like we just don't have all the information.  For instance, what is the ratio to children harmed vs. elderly people saved?  In places that have high percentages of vaccination, do fewer elders die?  I'm terribly, agonizingly sorry for the parent who reported the bad reaction in her child, something I have long feared.  I also realize the parent of one of the "20 pediatric deaths" could post something equally agonizing.  How many bad reactions are there compared to people saved?  There I always am, back at the beginning of my argument again.  Maybe I should get it.  Maybe I mustn't.

Since I didn't see this line of reasoning stated here in this forum, I decided to mention it.  The only thing I can think of is the generally good advice to make decisions out of love and not fear.  But this advice is maybe not that helpful.  And each year I dread this decision.

#49 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:

There are reasons this argument does not fully convince me.  I feel like we just don't have all the information.  For instance, what is the ratio to children harmed vs. elderly people saved?  In places that have high percentages of vaccination, do fewer elders die?  I'm terribly, agonizingly sorry for the parent who reported the bad reaction in her child, something I have long feared.  I also realize the parent of one of the "20 pediatric deaths" could post something equally agonizing.  How many bad reactions are there compared to people saved?  

I also would really like to know this! AND I would like to know in facilities (nursing homes) with near 100% staff and residents vaced and very few children visiting, yet yearly they have to close due to "epidemic" levels of flu. Why in such a controlled group you end up with deaths.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#50 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Honestly, the flu shot is something I dither over every year, too.
#51 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I definitely think the advertising for the flu shot in the USA especially, but even here, has gotten over the top.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#52 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I definitely think the advertising for the flu shot in the USA especially, but even here, has gotten over the top.

I agree. I hear and see it every second of every day in the news, the internet, or whenever I am shopping at cvs for example...

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#53 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalisa View Post

We went ahead and got the (preservative-free) vaccination yesterday.  It was not an easy choice.  I am grateful that we have vaccines for diseases that permanently affect mobility, vision and hearing, like polio and smallpox.  But that doesn't mean I accept all vaccines.  The flu shot is a difficult decision every time.

When ever I'm trying to make the choice, I think of a conversation I had with a woman who was visiting from Japan some years ago, when dd was a baby.  She had a daughter the same age, and was surprised it was an issue for me.  She said that despite the risks and possible lack of effectiveness, we get the flu shot to protect our elders.  To her it was simply irresponsible to walk around with your self or your child carrying a possibly preventable flu when you'll be meeting people in stores and restaurants who may actually die if they get it.  To her it was a brave thing we do to protect others, despite the risk of personal harm to ourselves and our children.  

There are reasons this argument does not fully convince me.  I feel like we just don't have all the information.  For instance, what is the ratio to children harmed vs. elderly people saved?  In places that have high percentages of vaccination, do fewer elders die?  I'm terribly, agonizingly sorry for the parent who reported the bad reaction in her child, something I have long feared.  I also realize the parent of one of the "20 pediatric deaths" could post something equally agonizing.  How many bad reactions are there compared to people saved?  There I always am, back at the beginning of my argument again.  Maybe I should get it.  Maybe I mustn't.

I don't think that there will ever be a clear cut answer on this.  But I wonder, since the vaccines aren't 100% effective and even when it is successful, it is supposed to make the vaccinated person's body more capable of handling the flu, it doesn't make them impervious to it.  So vaccinated people can still transmit the flu, even if they are getting less sick, and maybe transmit it *more* often because they make the assumption that they don't have the flu? I have no idea if this makes sense, just something I was thinking about....

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#54 of 101 Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 PM

I voted no.

As long as I am alive, me and my boys will not be injecting any kind of unknown substance into our bodies. That is why we have immune systems. That is why we take vitamins every single day. In fact, my boys have never had a single shot in their lives and they rarely get sick.

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#55 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 AM

Quote:

The only thing I can think of is the generally good advice to make decisions out of love and not fear.  But this advice is maybe not that helpful.  And each year I dread this decision.

With great love comes great fear <3 <3 I know I never really thought about protecting myself or others from illness before having kids, now it is the inspiration of much worry, research, waffling, and yes some degree of fear.

After reading The Vaccine Book by Dr Sears 5 years ago, I decided the flu shot was not worth further consideration because compared to the other diseases, it seemed pretty mild. However my dad got worried by the news this year and encouraged me to consider it. I read that the H3N2 virus this year is quite nasty, and the flu shot this year does contain H3N2, so at least they guessed right and it could do some good.

So, I went to the doctor today, ready to be talked into the shot (mercury free only of course) if he thought it might be important. What I love about my doc is that he really respects parents sense and decisions. Basically he said that he likes the flu shot, gets it himself, but nothing he said indicated concern for this year in particular. Maybe we are just lucky to be in California where it isn't bad yet, but if my doc is not worried enough to get off the fence and pick a side, then I will gladly refuse the flu shot. Results may vary in your area...

If you are thinking of getting the shot, then you should probably do it now, because it takes 2 weeks to work, and first timer young kids might need a second dose I believe.

I did pick up some colloidal silver as advised earlier in this thread, there are a lot of great immunity building tips in this thread.
#56 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

and despite having the vaccine, a person can still pass the flu virus  on to others via physical contamination of objects, such as door handles, telephones, pcs,  any hard inanimate surface where germs can put on a coat and protect themselves, til the  temp is right to take it off, and reproduce all over again.  

#57 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

and despite having the vaccine, a person can still pass the flu virus  on to others via physical contamination of objects, such as door handles, telephones, pcs,  any hard inanimate surface where germs can put on a coat and protect themselves, til the  temp is right to take it off, and reproduce all over again.  

Right. So the best protection is the flu vaccine plus all the common sense stuff about hand washing, sneezing into your elbow and bolstering your immune system by eating healthily and making sure to get enough vitamins. :) Doesn't have to be one or the other.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#58 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Right. So the best protection is the flu vaccine plus all the common sense stuff about hand washing, sneezing into your elbow and bolstering your immune system by eating healthily and making sure to get enough vitamins. :) Doesn't have to be one or the other.

This is only true if the flu vaccine has no side effects.  When a vaccine has side effects (and they all do) questions of efficacy, course of disease, etc come into play. Common sense stuff such as washing your hand and getting enough sleep have no side effects.

#59 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
#60 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Since I didn't see this line of reasoning stated here in this forum, I decided to mention it.  The only thing I can think of is the generally good advice to make decisions out of love and not fear.  But this advice is maybe not that helpful.  And each year I dread this decision.

Yes, this is me. My 3 kids got the shot since 2 of them are in school and my DS is only 2. It was a hard decision and I worried about it, but overall I do feel relieved they got it since no matter how much I tell them to wash their hands at school 5 and 7 year old boys just don't find it that important!  

Tags
Natures Way Umcka Cold And Flu Chewable Berry 20 Count , Colds Flu Bubble Bath , Homeolab Usa Kids Relief Flu Ages 2 85 Fl Oz 25 Ml , Boiron Oscillococcinum Natural Flu Relief 6 Pack With 6 Dose Bonus Pack 12 Total , Vaccine The Controversial Story Of Medicines Greatest Lifesaver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page