flu shot poll - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Are you getting your child the flu vaccine this year?
Yes 25 18.25%
No 112 81.75%
Yes, but only because I'm required 0 0%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

This is only true if the flu vaccine has no side effects.  When a vaccine has side effects (and they all do) questions of efficacy, course of disease, etc come into play. Common sense stuff such as washing your hand and getting enough sleep have no side effects.

Amen

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
#62 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
No-one denies side effects happen, but the statistics show that serious side effects are rare.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#63 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I definitely think the advertising for the flu shot in the USA especially, but even here, has gotten over the top.

And now because of the US, they're ramping up the media stuff here in Australia. The health officials have been on radio, TV, in the newspapers saying that based on the US, we're apparently in for it, so get your flu shot in March now instead of May (peak flu season here is June-August).

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#64 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm sorry in advance because this is a doofy off topic question.

Does it sound as weird for you to think of winter being nov-feb as it does for me to think of it as being march-aug?

#65 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Get your flu shot now being made using insect cells....no thanks

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/17/health/fda-flu-vaccine/index.html

#66 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srossworm View Post

Natural Remedies for preventing the flu

Home remedies for treating the flu

Why wasn't elderberry on the list? I'd take elderberry first for treatment over many of the items on that list.

Quote:
The H1N1 inhibition activities of the elderberry flavonoids compare favorably to the known anti-influenza activities of Oseltamivir (Tamiflu®; 0.32 μM) and Amantadine (27 μM).

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031942209002386

Quote:
We conclude that CJ-E had a beneficial effect by the stimulating immune response and preventing viral infection.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22972323

Quote:

In conclusion, the proprietary elderberry extract used here is effective in controlling influenza

symptoms and is complementary to current anti‐viral agents.

http://omicron-pharma.com/pdfs/ElderberryClinicalOJPK_Published.pdf

There's quite a few more studies available. Not to dismiss the other remedies, but my first go to would be something that does have a bit of published evidence behind it that it is effective.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 

#67 of 101 Old 01-17-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I'm sorry in advance because this is a doofy off topic question.

Does it sound as weird for you to think of winter being nov-feb as it does for me to think of it as being march-aug?

Well, as I'm Canadian and only moved to Australia three and a half years ago, it's probably not as odd for me as for the locals. Still, the season reversal thing takes getting used to. Christmas in the heat of summer. Mid-winter is July-August. Ack. And despite what some new migrants think when they move here--that there will be fewer colds and flus because many parts of Australia don't get that chilly (comparatively speaking), thus we're not super bundled up and can still get a decent dose of natural vitamin D--it's not quite true. July and August are similar to a northern hemisphere January and February, with all the rampant URIs. It is tough here in July to spend enough time in the sun for that vitamin D boost when the wind's blowing a gale and there's lashing rain.

#68 of 101 Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM

So, I changed my mind and got the flu shot for myself and 2 kids yesterday. Although my doctor left it entirely up to me, when I later heard that our elementary school almost shut down due to the most kids out sick EVER, I decided that it was time to give the shot a try. We got Fluzone. I will reconsider the situation every year, based on current conditions and how well matched the strains are in the vaccine (good match this year). Ideally we won't feel the need to get it again, but I will stay open to it in severe seasons. I may order Vaccishield next time first.
#69 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 04:06 AM

I got it this year because I'm pregnant and it's a bad flu year. I got it every year for my nephew who lived with me for 9 years, he has asthma and is at higher risk. This year he moved in with his mother, didn't get the flu shot, and got the flu. He was sick as a dog, poor boy and had all sorts of complications. I say that people with higher risk factors should get it, but generally healthy people with healthy immune systems don't really need it.

Krissyann

#70 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 04:10 AM

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/studies-find-flu-shots-can-harm-your-heart-infant-and-fetus?utm_source=www.GreenMedInfo.com&utm_campaign=d9f06fad8f-Greenmedinfo&utm_medium=email

Quote:
The reality is that vaccines not only do not work as advertised, but they represent a significant health threat, likely on the same order of magnitude as influenza itself, due to their well-known role in compromising immunological self-tolerance (autoimmunity), as well as by eliciting a wide range of adverse health effects associated with the use of adjuvants, preservatives, foreign animal DNA and cell byproducts, adventitious viruses, and other so-called "inactive ingredients," including even the unnatural route and method of antigen administration itself.[i]

"Inflammatory responses to trivalent influenza virus vaccine among pregnant women,"

Can We Continue To Justify Injecting Aluminum Into Children?).

Quote:
One 2007 study published in the Journal of Pediatrics, found that 85% of newborn infants experienced abnormal elevations of CRP when administered multiple vaccines and up to 70% in those given a single vaccine. Also, overall, 16% of infants were reported to experience vaccine-associated cardiorespiratory events within 48 hours postimmunization. [v]
#71 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Nope! And EVERY person I know who go the flu shot (including a friend who bragged about being one of the first out there to get her whole family vaxxed, including her 6mo son so that they wouldn't get the flu)...well they all got the flu.  Bad.  Those I know who *gasp* didn't get the shot?! (Myself and family included) - No flu here or there!  DD and I had a little 3 day sniffle around xmas, so I increased our vitamin intake and we were no worse for the wear.  DH had a close frined with severe complications and guillain-barré syndrome from the flu vax - I think I'll pass!  And I'm sorry but when I was pregnant I was even more vehemently oppsed to getting the shot!  I've never had a flu vax before, and I never will, and certainly not while pregnant since NO studies have ever been done on pregnant women to prove that it is truely safe the way they claim it to be.

#72 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 AM

Are you sure they had the flu? Did they get a swab? Of people who actually go get tested only 1/3 test positive for the flu. There are a lot of other viruses circulating this time of year that people often think are the flu.
#73 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

I voted, but my first choice of "HELL NO" was not in the poll!

Will have to settle for a simple "no" instead orngtongue.gif

HAHA I was just reading through after responding and this was exactly the answer I said out loud before I saw the options!

#74 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Are you sure they had the flu? Did they get a swab? Of people who actually go get tested only 1/3 test positive for the flu. There are a lot of other viruses circulating this time of year that people often think are the flu.

If this was to me, yes they all ran out to the ER to get tested and all were positive.

#75 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM

That's bizarre.
#76 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 AM

I thought it was too - seems pretty unlikely that they would all have gotten the flu, but they did!  The one with the 6mo even thought that by send him to stay with her mother for the week he'd be spared - nope.  Of course she didn't send him away until after he'd been exposed so at that point there was really no chance he was getting away without it.   DH works with the "cream of the crop" as fas as unheathy goes (firefighter in the city) so he's constanly exposed and I'd say I have a fairly high chance of being exposed working for a town municipality with constant contact from the public, but so far we've been fine - in spite of living with an 'epidemic' in our state. 

#77 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 AM

No, I mean bizarre that they all actually got a flu test. That's very unusual.
#78 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 PM

It sounds like many of you at least had a choice whether to vax or not vax, give standard or mercury-free.  First of all, when I spoke to our pediatrician, she said they have to give whatever vaccines they get sent from the state.  Many offices and clinics I spoke with in upstate NY (where we lived when DD was born) and in CT are pretty much the same. I cannot specify a certain brand of vaccine.  I would have no choice of giving my DD a mercury-free one.  

Secondly, in CT, it's become a law for children in school/daycare to get one.  Even though we do vaccinate my DD, she was on a delayed schedule and I had no intention of ever giving her flu shots.  We have a very good pediatrician who wrote a letter to the school, but it was not accepted.  She HAD to get it in order to stay in school.  I was not happy about it.

#79 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 02:04 PM

I'm in CT and plan to file religious exempt.

#80 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

i am in Ct and hae been using one for my kids for over 14yrs now...never a hassle...the school nurse even provided one for me..btw. where in ct are you? NW corner here

#81 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 PM

Our whole family gets one every yr, this yr was the first time for my daughter.  She was 13 months when she got it, so it was a 2 stage shot.  There are so many articles for and against that it's really a personal decision.  I prefer to vaccinate than risk my family getting sick.  I know there's still a chance to catch a different strain of flu, but anything that lessens our chances is worth doing my my opinion.

#82 of 101 Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 PM

We did this year. We got influenza last year and I have two asthmatics now--one poorly controlled who also has immune system issues. I am not, though, at all convinced the effectiveness and benefit outweighs the negatives. I just didn't want to have to tell grandparents and my son's geneticist again this year that I didn't get the vax and he got influenza. Also, particularly given his health right now, I wanted to do what could be done to protect him. If I had healthy kids I wouldn't get the vax.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#83 of 101 Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveZip View Post

.  I would have no choice of giving my DD a mercury-free one.  

I'm not sure why you think the choice is entirely out of your hands.  Our regular clinic only had shots with mercury.  So I went to the local pharmacy, where they had mercury-free shots, for the same $25 that I would have had to pay in a co-pay at my doctor's office, anyway.   The single-dose vials do not contain mercury.  The multi-dose vials do.  So I just had to find someone giving out shots from single-dose vials.  Places like small pharmacies are more likely to have single-dose vials because they give out fewer shots.  Places giving out massive amounts of shots are more likely to have multi-dose vials.  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#84 of 101 Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

The pediatrician asked whether I wanted to do that, but that would mean my DD won't be able to receive ANY vaccine after I claim it.  I didn't want that.  It's so tricky.....

And, A&A, thanks for that info.  Were you talking about disease vax or flu shots?  I'll call around in the future, but our pediatrician does not charge co-pay for shot visits.  Getting single doses would cost me a lot of money if I go to a pharmacy.

#85 of 101 Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveZip View Post

The pediatrician asked whether I wanted to do that, but that would mean my DD won't be able to receive ANY vaccine after I claim it.  I didn't want that.  It's so tricky.....

And, A&A, thanks for that info.  Were you talking about disease vax or flu shots?  I'll call around in the future, but our pediatrician does not charge co-pay for shot visits.  Getting single doses would cost me a lot of money if I go to a pharmacy.

you can change your mind and vax, just as easily as the mom who changes her mind not to vax, and signs a waiver....you can always take your child to the health dept for a vax, instead of her pedi

#86 of 101 Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM

We are thinking of getting one for ourselves and our 3 yr old DD.

We have new born twins and our DD is in daycare and seems to come down with everything going around. We do not want the babies to get sick. Well, we do not want anyone to get sick. But it would be worst for little 7 week old babies

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#87 of 101 Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsxjack View Post

We are thinking of getting one for ourselves and our 3 yr old DD.

We have new born twins and our DD is in daycare and seems to come down with everything going around. We do not want the babies to get sick. Well, we do not want anyone to get sick. But it would be worst for little 7 week old babies

If you are leaning towards getting it, I would do it now rather than later.  It takes two weeks to kick in - CDC.

It does look like the flu is on the wane in southern Ontario

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/871520---massive-very-sharp-peak-of-flu-passed

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#88 of 101 Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 AM

It takes up to two weeks but in most cases you have immunity within a week.
#89 of 101 Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM

If your child needs two doses (and apparently many first timers under 9 years old do?) then it takes SIX weeks for protection to really kick in, because you have to wait 28 days between doses, then 2 more weeks for all the antibodies to get into gear. I think I would have declined the shot if I had realized this, because the season's peak should be over by then. Ask your doc if you're considering it.
#90 of 101 Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
No, I mean bizarre that they all actually got a flu test. That's very unusual.

why is that? Really seem bizarre to me that you are stating it's unusual.

what section of the country are you in? is this just based on personal opinion or some fact?

Mine - they are super vigilant about testing at Dr.  offices. clinics, urgent cares and ER's - I can go to my state's dept of health info and see updates with the testing results and I known personally a lot of testing is going on.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Tags
Natures Way Umcka Cold And Flu Chewable Berry 20 Count , Colds Flu Bubble Bath , Homeolab Usa Kids Relief Flu Ages 2 85 Fl Oz 25 Ml , Boiron Oscillococcinum Natural Flu Relief 6 Pack With 6 Dose Bonus Pack 12 Total , Vaccine The Controversial Story Of Medicines Greatest Lifesaver

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page