flu shot poll - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Are you getting your child the flu vaccine this year?
Yes 25 18.25%
No 112 81.75%
Yes, but only because I'm required 0 0%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 101 Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In my experience once flu season is in swing they just go by symptoms and don't test, since the treatment is the same either way.

I guess I don't really know how big a group "everyone I know who got a flu shot" is, so maybe it's not that unusual. Overall, only one third of flu tests come back positive, so if we're talking a group of like twenty people, yes I think it's bizarre they all got flu tests and even more bizarre they were all positive.
#92 of 101 Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
In my experience once flu season is in swing they just go by symptoms and don't test, since the treatment is the same either way.

I guess I don't really know how big a group "everyone I know who got a flu shot" is, so maybe it's not that unusual. Overall, only one third of flu tests come back positive, so if we're talking a group of like twenty people, yes I think it's bizarre they all got flu tests and even more bizarre they were all positive.

I have no clue what you are basing this on but in my state we go by facts- real ones and we really are doing testing and we certainly want to know what type of flu it is. I know some doing testing, I know some who have been tested and NO, not all are treated the same- far from it. I have seen testing in the ER and I know there is testing going on in prisons and nursing homes- it's very real.

We record info around here - http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/influenza_(flu)/14161/pa_influenza_weekly_report/557490

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#93 of 101 Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveZip View Post

The pediatrician asked whether I wanted to do that, but that would mean my DD won't be able to receive ANY vaccine after I claim it.  I didn't want that.  It's so tricky.....

And, A&A, thanks for that info.  Were you talking about disease vax or flu shots?  I'll call around in the future, but our pediatrician does not charge co-pay for shot visits.  Getting single doses would cost me a lot of money if I go to a pharmacy.

I was talking about the flu shot.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#94 of 101 Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

some more to think about - http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/insight-evidence-grows-for-narcolepsy-link-to-gsk-swine-flu-shot

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#95 of 101 Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
That's an article about a specific type of h1n1 vaccine used during the 2009/2010 pandemic concerns. I'm glad they're looking into some possible serious rare side effects, but it doesn't seem very relevant to considerations about getting the flu vaccine in 2012/2013....

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#96 of 101 Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

i am in Ct and hae been using one for my kids for over 14yrs now...never a hassle...the school nurse even provided one for me..btw. where in ct are you? NW corner here

Enfield :-)

#97 of 101 Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

you can change your mind and vax, just as easily as the mom who changes her mind not to vax, and signs a waiver....you can always take your child to the health dept for a vax, instead of her pedi

Yep.  We started off vaxing but stopped at 4mos - my ped tried to say I couldn't do a waiver that it was all or nothing, but I knew she was bs'ing me.  Be nice if she'd give me a medical waiver since she agreed that DD had a pretty bad reaction...nope! Oh well.

#98 of 101 Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

Enfield :-)

torrington here...i have cousins in enfield  :)

#99 of 101 Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:

torrington here...i have cousins in enfield  smile.gif

You're both probably aware of this already, but there's legislation in your state to allow employee exemptions for mandatory flu vax. Definitely call your senators and reps on this!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#100 of 101 Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For what it is worth, I've never heard of anyone among the people I hang out with getting tested for the flu, unless maybe it is very severe.  We are not supposed to take ourselves or the kids to the Dr. for it, either.  Just do regular home care, over the counter meds, etc.  If you have a cough that goes on for longer than three weeks, they might see you.  This was central wisconsin.  The only time they test for regular illness is if they think it is strep throat. 

It sounds like this is not the norm everywhere.  That's interesting.

#101 of 101 Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalisa View Post

For what it is worth, I've never heard of anyone among the people I hang out with getting tested for the flu, unless maybe it is very severe.  We are not supposed to take ourselves or the kids to the Dr. for it, either.  Just do regular home care, over the counter meds, etc.  If you have a cough that goes on for longer than three weeks, they might see you.  This was central wisconsin.  The only time they test for regular illness is if they think it is strep throat. 

It sounds like this is not the norm everywhere.  That's interesting.

You're right. The norm in the cities I've been in seems to be for people to panic if they think that they have the flu, and to rush to the doctors.  The local news media reports the number of confirmed flu cases, so there may be some pressure on the doctors to encourage patients to come in so that they can test them.  A couple of years ago, when the h1n1 panic was at its peak, one of my kids had a urinary tract infection, and the doctors insisted on doing a nasal swab for h1n1 (which, of course, was negative).

Tags
Natures Way Umcka Cold And Flu Chewable Berry 20 Count , Colds Flu Bubble Bath , Homeolab Usa Kids Relief Flu Ages 2 85 Fl Oz 25 Ml , Boiron Oscillococcinum Natural Flu Relief 6 Pack With 6 Dose Bonus Pack 12 Total , Vaccine The Controversial Story Of Medicines Greatest Lifesaver

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page