flu shot poll - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Are you getting your child the flu vaccine this year?
Yes 25 18.25%
No 112 81.75%
Yes, but only because I'm required 0 0%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 101 Old 12-18-2012, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone. I just came across this piece about the dangers of the flu vaccine here and want to learn what other moms are doing with their kids: http://inspiyr.com/flu-vaccine-not-for-you/

So...are you getting your children the flu shot? It would be great to hear what everyone else is doing. I attached a poll so answer and we can all see what everyone is doing.

#2 of 101 Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My family has never recieved it, nor will they ever, nor have i gotten one in 25yrs...my mother, who has dutifully gotten one for the last 30yrs, now has alzheimers, as do most of the seniors i know, who have taken the vaccine for an extended amount of years. I believe there is a connection between that, and using aluminum pans to cook in,  while that generation grew up.  My kids had the flu a couple weeks ago....mild, over it in three days.  

I think the flu vaccine is one of the biggest jokes out there... i worked in a retirement home, and every year, they dutifully vaxed ALL residents...wouldn't you know, come feb, theres quarantine in the place because of a flu epidemic...great flu shot that didn't protect!!   My client i take care of now recieved the vaccine a couple months ago....she has now lost ALL short term memory.  She had bits n pieces of it left, but after the vax, i saw, and still see a decline going on.....so sad.  And her family is staunchly provax.  

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 101 Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 AM

I am getting my son (18 months) the flu shot. I also received it.
#4 of 101 Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's so much misunderstanding about the flu vaccine and its effectiveness. It's really frustrating. People make decision based on personal observations rather than what e research actually says. While I empathize with that, it makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes!

My daughter got it. She is under two so I'm not convinced it will help, but I don't think it will hurt and it will help her immune system respond to it better (with just one dose smile.gif) next year. I got it for the first time this year, too.
#5 of 101 Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)

No.

The numbers just do not make a convincing case, for me.  

The number of people who get the flu is 5-20% (CDC)  However, the flu shot does not offer protection against all types of flu - your chance of getting one of the strains the flu shot covers is about 4% (Cochrane)

So, most years you will not get the flu that is covered by the flu shots.

The flu is not fun, but for the vast majority of people it is not deadly.  

I am not willing to get a shot every year over a disease I have a reasonably low chance of getting, and an excellent chance of surviving with complete recovery should I get it. Some of it is because I do not want to haul my butt to the doctors every year over the slight possibility I will get the flu, but another part is no shot is without risks, and having to "risk it" yearly does not sit well with me.  

I truly believe I had the flu last year. It was at the peak of flu season and I had all the signs.   This is the only time in my life I am pretty sure I had the flu.  I missed a small amount of work, felt like I had been hit by a mack truck…..and was ultimately fine.  It did not make me revisit my decision.

If you are on the fence, here are a few thoughts:

-having other conditions (asthma comes to mind) might push some towards vaxxing

-I imagine kids in daycare are slightly more prone to the flu than kids not in daycare

-the flu vaccine is less effective in some age groups, and I think under 2 is one of them 

-Cochrane says that inactivated flu vaccines (the only kind available to the under 2's) is ineffective:

" In children under the age of two, the efficacy of inactivated vaccine was similar to placebo"

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD004879/vaccines-for-preventing-influenza-in-healthy-children

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 101 Old 12-26-2012, 11:39 AM

No way.

Our vitamin D levels are very high (tested every 6 months) and we use homeopathics to prevent.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 101 Old 12-26-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

There's so much misunderstanding about the flu vaccine and its effectiveness. It's really frustrating. People make decision based on personal observations rather than what e research actually says. While I empathize with that, it makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes!
My daughter got it. She is under two so I'm not convinced it will help, but I don't think it will hurt and it will help her immune system respond to it better (with just one dose smile.gif) next year. I got it for the first time this year, too.

Why would someone else's reasons for doing, or not doing, something be so upsetting that you want to pull out your hair? Don't you think you're taking this a little too personally?
rachelsmama likes this.
#8 of 101 Old 12-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Absolutely, we get flu shots.  Basically, everyone in the house who can get the flu vaccine does.  DD had respiratory distress at birth, and preventing and ameliorating respiratory infections was really important for a while.  We hang out a ton with my niece, who has asthma and is prone to pneumonia when she gets upper respiratory illnesses.  And my own immune system is tanked from chemotherapy, so limiting the potential for infection is really important.

#9 of 101 Old 12-28-2012, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

No. Last time I had the flu was in 1999. I had a flu shot once in 2001 and believe it was more placebo than anything else. So, I didn't get the flu that winter. Yeah? I also didn't get the flu every other winter when I didn't get a flu shot .

The kids have never had the flu either. We're diligent about vitamin D supplements in winter and hand washing.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#10 of 101 Old 12-28-2012, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
We're not in high risk categories for flu, so usually dont bother. I did get it (for me and my child) the year I was pregnant and there was the swine flu concerns.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#11 of 101 Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 PM

I might entertain one after about another 4 decades of data collection about the cumulative effects...but for now, no.

#12 of 101 Old 12-30-2012, 04:51 AM

even this dr didn't advocate taking one, but he was forced into it...very good informative links in this article

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2012/11/physician-takes-flu-vaccine-protest.html

#13 of 101 Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM

absolutely not. we up our vitamin D intake during flu season and never get it here. we have been exposed to it greatly this season and no one in my family has even had a cold.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#14 of 101 Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM

We didn't, but my son caught the flu last week and now DD has it this week, so I am now on the fence and feeling guilty cause they are sick.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#15 of 101 Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM

I am debating whether to go get it for my kids tomorrow. I don't really want to but the news is freaking me out a bit to be honest. I did it 2 years in a row but was planning to stop which is why I haven't done it this year. And advice? 

#16 of 101 Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
 And advice? 

educate yourself on the effectiveness on the vaccine

I voted NO -  I live in the area of the tent hospital er and it doesn't change my mind  - http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/health/Growing-Number-of-Flu-Cases-Causes-Hospital-to-Open-Emergency-Space-185947762.html 

kathymuggle likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#17 of 101 Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

educate yourself on the effectiveness on the vaccine

I voted NO -  I live in the area of the tent hospital er and it doesn't change my mind  - http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/health/Growing-Number-of-Flu-Cases-Causes-Hospital-to-Open-Emergency-Space-185947762.html 

Knowing Lehigh Valley Hospital, it is just their attempt to attract more flu business by setting up the tent....

#18 of 101 Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No. My kids and I don't get them. My hubby has been told to get them by the family doctor but he's not convinced to at this point.
#19 of 101 Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleoS View Post

I am debating whether to go get it for my kids tomorrow. I don't really want to but the news is freaking me out a bit to be honest. I did it 2 years in a row but was planning to stop which is why I haven't done it this year. And advice? 

I think you have the answer there. The news is freaking you out, but perhaps the threat of the flu really isn't. Remember all the hype about H1N1? The news reports turned rational folks into militant preppers wanting a stash of jabs. Just sayin'. (Although....maybe prepping in general isn't all that bad....people seem to be getting spun up easily these days, and might come hunting for a natural source of D nut.gif)

#20 of 101 Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM

There was a really interesting discussion of the flu on the diane rheem show today, if anyone is interested.
#21 of 101 Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 AM

We don't get flu shots.

We are all pretty healthy and I don't feel it is necessary for our family to get flu shots.

We did get sick last week but all recovered quickly.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#22 of 101 Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Thanks ladies, I meant "Any advice?" but typed it wrong. Anyway, I think my own anxiety along with the fear mongering on the news gets to me. I did make an appointment tomorrow a.m. for the 3 kids but of course I am second guessing and may cancel.  I am still on the fence. Wish I was more decisive!! 

#23 of 101 Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Don't use this:

posyllp5w0n792.jpg?imageId=24737497

#24 of 101 Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM

No, we have never done flu shots and will not start now.  I started reconsidering after hearing all the recent media reports, but now feel comfortable with our decision despite it being a bad flu season.  We are a pretty healthy family, and none of us has ever gotten the flu (not even me, as a health care worker, being unvaccinated and being exposed to flu many, many times).  I am fully aware that this could be 'the year' one (or all) of us gets sick, but I'll throw my lot in with mother nature and our bodies' amazing defense system, rather than with big pharma.  

Because I work at a hospital, and refused the flu vaccine,  I have to wear a mask when I walk through the hospital (I can take it off once I'm in the laboratory, where I work).  It's ridiculous, but I do it without complaint.  I've refused the vaccine every year, and I probably take the fewest sick days out of everyone else (I am the only one who refuses the vaccine).  By all statistics, at least half of my vaccinated co-workers are just as 'vulnerable' as I am, being completely unvaccinated.  Also, the efficacy of masks preventing flu is questionable-  There is no good evidence showing that wearing one can prevent transmission...  

Just my little rant there, a little off-topic Sheepish.gif

Best defense in my opinion is to eat well, get plenty of sleep, wash your hands, and just be vigilant of your surroundings-  keep kids home if there is a flu outbreak at school, etc. 

#25 of 101 Old 01-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Apparently (according to an interview on the Diane rheem show I heard) this isn't really that bad of aflu season, or at least they said it wasn't a severe flu season. I thought that was interesting.
#26 of 101 Old 01-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Here's the link, btw. You can read a transcript or listen to it. The guests were all pretty mainstream, but I think everyone can find something to agree with, there was a pretty diverse set of opinions.

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2013-01-10/battle-against-flu?page=1
#27 of 101 Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM

Due to the hype around here, I was rethinking my decision to get DS vaccinated. DBF's dad found an article on the internet that said that this is one of the worst flu outbreaks in history. He showed me the site and told me to get DS his flu shot. I agreed to disagree to avoid argument. DBF's dad went to DBF and talked about it with him too. I know he is just concerned and all but...it is the parents decision. DBF talked to me about it and we both kind of came to the conclusion that he won't get the flu shot. He is at home most of the time and we don't go anywhere (because we are broke college students) but it still scares me sometimes. I sometimes wonder if I am making the right decision. I, myself, will never get the flu shot. Never had the flu and *knock on wood* I hope I never will; why should I start taking the vaccine now?

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#28 of 101 Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Dr. Michael Osterholm director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy and director of the NIH-sponsored Minnesota Center of Excellence for Influenza Research and Surveillance; board member, National Science Advisory Board on Biosecurity, in the link above, says the severity of this years flu vaccine is mostly hype.

"Well, first of all, pandemic events are ones that occurs when a new strain of influenza emerges and then leaves a large part of the population vulnerable to it. That's not the case this year. And I think even this year there's really been a misunderstanding of what's going on with influenza. Clearly, influenza, any year, even in a moderate year, can cause lots of illness and deaths and hospitalizations. But I think this year there's been a certain hype in the media about what's happened with it."

"And what I mean by that is we've seen these stories where we've seen these patients coming into medical care facilities around the country. But, you know, the idea that in Boston they went from 70 to 700 cases, they have four deaths and they've declared a public health emergency, a lot of that has to do with the fact that we have really taken out any excess capacity in our health care system. And so even when there's a slight bump in the road, we can quickly be overwhelmed."

"And we're also seeing, in some communities, another illness in young kids called RSV, respiratory syncytial virus, which is causing a number of hospitalizations. So I think that flu is obviously a very critical issue. I think this year we do have some real problems. But I don't think it's nearly as bad as what has been portrayed in the media. And most notably, if you look at our -- what we call pneumonia and influenza deaths in this country, we are not seeing it this time, a severe flu season."

Of course that's small comfort if you're one of the people who gets it!
#29 of 101 Old 01-11-2013, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)

The flu season is half over, and the USA is sitting at 20 pediatric deaths.  http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/11/health/us-flu-season/index.html

Here is what the CDC has to say about pediatric deaths from influenza:

"Flu seasons vary in severity, however some children die from flu each year. From 2003-2004 to 2011-2012, pediatric deaths reported to CDC ranged from 46 to 153 per year. During the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, 348 pediatric deaths were reported to CDC from April 15, 2009 to October 2, 2010."

Given that the season is half over and we are only sitting at 20 pediatric deaths, I would speculate that we are not  heading towards a severe year.  I hope I don't eat my words.   It would be interesting to break it down by month and see if we are sitting at more or less deaths this many weeks into the flu season than in previous years.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#30 of 101 Old 01-11-2013, 06:46 PM

Yes, absolutely.  The benefit of having the flu vaccine far outweighs the risk.

Tags
Natures Way Umcka Cold And Flu Chewable Berry 20 Count , Colds Flu Bubble Bath , Homeolab Usa Kids Relief Flu Ages 2 85 Fl Oz 25 Ml , Boiron Oscillococcinum Natural Flu Relief 6 Pack With 6 Dose Bonus Pack 12 Total , Vaccine The Controversial Story Of Medicines Greatest Lifesaver

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page