A Story of Tetanus in an unvaccinated child - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
It doesn't seem to be the Public Heath organizations so much as the parents wanting to share their story. There's another interview with them here

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/8199964/We-were-hippies-about-it

where they talk about what it was like to watch their child suffer through a vaccine preventable disease, and the misinformation they feel they read online about vaccine reaction rates they claim led to their decision not to vaccinate.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#32 of 32 Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

It doesn't seem to be the Public Heath organizations so much as the parents wanting to share their story. There's another interview with them here

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/8199964/We-were-hippies-about-it

where they talk about what it was like to watch their child suffer through a vaccine preventable disease, and the misinformation they feel they read online about vaccine reaction rates they claim led to their decision not to vaccinate.

I know the parents have been speaking a lot, and I think that's a fairly natural reaction to the shock of their son's illness, but in the article you linked to in post #29:

Quote:

Auckland Regional Public Health clinical director Dr Julia Peters said parents who did not immunise their children were making choices with potentially far-reaching implications for society.

They should think about whether they might infect someone without the same level of defence as them, for example, someone with cancer or a baby who was not yet immunised.

"So I think when people (think) 'it's just about me and my individual choice', actually that's not true."

And it just seems sort of tasteless to be using a tetanus case to try to sell parents on the whole "herd immunity" reason for vaccinations. 

Jennyanydots likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page