? re: rubella and tetanus vaccines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-21-2004, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I've gone from almost completely vaxing my first to not vaxing my 3rd at all. Was reading some messages from a list I'm on and saw mention of the importance of tetanus in case kids get cut, step on nail, whatever. feel awful that I hadn't thought of this and wondered what your thoughts were on this.
also, getting rubella shots when your daughters hit puberty. I know this is childbearing related, but can someone enlighten me and is this something that is done by most non-vaxers?
TIA!
#2 of 6 Old 04-21-2004, 12:42 AM

If someone in the family truly does need the tetanus shot, please please please be SURE that's all they are getting.

I keep hearing that doctors say that regular offices don't have the plain tetanus, that there's a shortage...but then people say they've received just the tetanus from an ER. I wonder who to believe...the offices or the ERs.

But my mother once needed a tetanus shot (she got a spider bite, one of the things it's supposedly needed for), her doctor's office told her they would just give her tetanus, and when she went back a month later after being HORRIBLY ill, they told her she got the full DPT.

So make sure you're getting just the tetanus.

As to rubella, I kept hoping against hope that I'd contract it naturally. If you do, then you can pass on the antibodies through breast milk to your babies. They they will be naturally immune as well.

Unfortunately, I never ran across anyone with it. So I never got it. And, as I found out after getting pregnant, the vaccines didn't "take". So I'm running around, non-immune (either natural or artificial immunity), and pregnant. Sigh.

I hope that my kids (with my help) can become naturally immune to it, so they don't have to worry.

What am I saying here? I would NOT give a teenage daughter a rubella shot, because it won't necessarily "take", and it won't help HER children, should she choose to have them.

Hmm, perhaps between pregnancies I'll go volunteer at a hospital or something, hoping to get exposed...:
#3 of 6 Old 04-21-2004, 03:11 AM

In regards to the rubella vaccine, I did not get vaxed for it . I have a healthy 7 mo old dd- I will not vax her either. I have faith in God's design of our immune systems....do not feel injecting disease in my or my children's body will keep us healthy

JAMIE

Loving wife. Mama to five crazy kids. Follower of Jesus. Doula & Childbirth Educator.

#4 of 6 Old 04-21-2004, 03:52 AM

The shot they're supposed to give you in ER is the toxoid one (Td). Who knows what they give you. I agree, it's best to always demand to see what they are injecting you with. Or make your wishes known if you're unconscious.

There is a great thread (I think it's still on the first page) floating around here, called Great Tetnus Info. It has a lot of good information on rusty nails, wounds, the shot, etc.

As to the MMR, no way would I give dd it when she was a teen. My brother got a shot when he was 17 and got a really bad case of measles six months later. His shot certainly didn't take. All over these boards, as well as in real life, I continue to hear of women who have had 2 or even three MMR shots because the first two didn't take, or they can't find immunity to it. Not to mention, health problems that may or may not be related to it.

My neice got Rubella when she was two. I have a sneaking suspicion that in the next 8 years, dd will be exposed to it somewhere along the line, if she hasn't already been. If she never gets it, I hope all my babbling about proper amounts of vitamin A, B, C, etc, will have taken hold and she can have some protection that way.

There was a really good thread here a couple months ago, entitled, Covince me not to get the MMR. I'm going to go see if I can find it.

To sum it all up, I'd rather rely on information on how to handle these diseases, or ways to prevent them than put my trust in some shots that may or may not take.
#5 of 6 Old 04-21-2004, 04:01 AM

Here's one of the measles threads.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=trabot

Here's a tetnus one

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...threadid=43600

Tracy's sticky, the 'other' vax info at the top of page one has a lot of great links and info. Just scroll through it to the questions near the middle.

Hope this helps.
#6 of 6 Old 04-21-2004, 04:07 AM

fwiw, when i was 15 i had just had all my boosters (tetanus included) and went out phone phreaking with some of my friends... and to make a long story short we ended up having to jump an 8-ft barbed wire fence. (don't ask. i was a trouble maker. :LOL) suffice it to say it was good i got the tetanus booster, because my left hand got ripped open on the fence and i couldn't get to an ER... and then didn't go to the dr...... luckily i didn't get sick.

however, i'm wondering if a parent is careful, how likely it would be for their baby or young child to encounter a sitatuation where they would need the vaccine. i really don't know...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page