UN Debate on removing thimerosal from vaccines worldwide - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-05-2013, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Thought this deserved it's own thread,, given the debate about to happen.

Some info from the other thread in which it was discussed

"It's the United Nations Environment Programme which debates these things (www.unep.org).

The next debate happens 13-18th January in Geneva.
http://www.unep.org/hazardoussubstances/Mercury/Negotiations/INC5/tabid/3471/Default.aspx

It appears they asked the WHO for input on thimerosal in vaccines, and the statements they have are all linked here: http://www.unep.org/hazardoussubstances/Portals/9/Mercury/Documents/INC5/WHO%20Submission%20for%20Mercury%20INC5_18%20December%202012.pdf"

Also I found this commentary in pediatrics about it this morning
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/131/1/149.extract

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#2 of 7 Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

If you want to back track, this is the original thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1370572/vaccines-and-premature-puberty/

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

So I read more about this in the news yesterday - well kind of. Mostly the UN debate is about reducing the demand for mercury products in order to reduce the amount of toxic metallic mercury dust which gets into the environment.

So from their point of view, thimerosol is something which contains mercury (ie an end product), so banning its use would reduce the demand for mercury. Seems like for the UN it was never a vaccine safety issue..... simply a wish to remove metallic 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20972620

For me, yet again, that article and the discussion of vast quantities of metallic mercury in our oceans and food chain yet again put into perspective for me that the tiny tiny amounts in a single (or handful) of vaccines, cannot be of any harm. 

I read somewhere the content of a vaccine is comparable to that in 5 tuna sandwichs (and the type of mercury salt in the tuna is considered more dangerous than the type in vaccines too).... 

#4 of 7 Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

So I read more about this in the news yesterday - well kind of. Mostly the UN debate is about reducing the demand for mercury products in order to reduce the amount of toxic metallic mercury dust which gets into the environment.

So from their point of view, thimerosol is something which contains mercury (ie an end product), so banning its use would reduce the demand for mercury. Seems like for the UN it was never a vaccine safety issue..... simply a wish to remove metallic 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20972620

For me, yet again, that article and the discussion of vast quantities of metallic mercury in our oceans and food chain yet again put into perspective for me that the tiny tiny amounts in a single (or handful) of vaccines, cannot be of any harm. 

I read somewhere the content of a vaccine is comparable to that in 5 tuna sandwichs (and the type of mercury salt in the tuna is considered more dangerous than the type in vaccines too).... 

Shit. I just had a tuna sandwich. I guess I should have just gotten that damn flu shot. orngbiggrin.gif

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yes. The amount of mercury in any vaccine which contains it is negligible compared to what you will consume from food. Get the single dose version of the flu shot and its even zero mercury.

Anyone hear anything - this debate should now be over.....

#6 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

So it seems they've reached and agreement - although thimerosal in vaccines is not specifically discussed in this article, which is more generally about environmental mercury (main point of the UN debate it turned out).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21078176

#7 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, ok - they exempted thimerosol in vaccines from the ban - stating that to ban it would endanger millions of children in the developing world by reducing their access to vaccines.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/new_scientist/2013/01/mercury_treaty_debate_should_thimerosal_be_banned_as_a_vaccine_preservative.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page