How did you find you alternative vaccine doctor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We currently have a doctor who allows us to pick and choose what and when we will vaccinate however there are other issues with them and their office and we are hoping to find a new office but every place in town I have called strictly follows AAP standards which we simply will not do. 

I am not sure this is exactly the right forum for this because I am not looking to debate about it, but it didn't seem to fit into any others. So if you have any tips about finding a ped that would be really helpful. Thank you!

#2 of 10 Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 AM

I think you did all you can if you want to see a pediatrician. Others may suggest family doctors or naturopaths.

Are you looking to not vax at all or only delay? In my area no peds will see you if you non-vax. However I only came across 2 or three offices that allow delaying. This was after calling every single office that was reasonably close by. A lot of times when I asked if their office allowed delaying vaccines the nurse or receptionist's tone of voice immediately changed to be rude or angry.

My current ped office says they don't allow delaying over the phone, however I was allowed to delay some vaccines for my son. I guess it depends how much you want to skip or delay.
#3 of 10 Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would say look for a family practice.
#4 of 10 Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My local online AP group keeps a list of good and bad doctors that is updated based on member input. Most of the information is about which doctors favor an alternative vaccine schedule and/or don't pressure you to get any. That's how I found mine; he is a holistic MD who is anti-vaccine.

#5 of 10 Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobojungle View Post

I think you did all you can if you want to see a pediatrician. Others may suggest family doctors or naturopaths.

Are you looking to not vax at all or only delay? In my area no peds will see you if you non-vax. However I only came across 2 or three offices that allow delaying. This was after calling every single office that was reasonably close by. A lot of times when I asked if their office allowed delaying vaccines the nurse or receptionist's tone of voice immediately changed to be rude or angry.

My current ped office says they don't allow delaying over the phone, however I was allowed to delay some vaccines for my son. I guess it depends how much you want to skip or delay.

Will they allow delaying when you're OFF the phone? Sorry. I'm having cheap & nerdy fun with a dangling modifier... winky.gif

I agree that it may be time to look into a family physician or osteopathic doctor. If you don't mind saying where you're from, post in the Find-Your-Tribe section. A lot of this kind of networking goes on at MDC.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#6 of 10 Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 AM

Well today was my son's 12 month appointment. They give MMR, varicella, and Hep A at this visit.

I asked about spacing them out and was told that I would have to go elsewhere if I didn't follow their schedule.

He didn't pressure us into getting the shots, but luckily there is another ped practice in the area who will allow deviation from the CDC schedule.
#7 of 10 Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Here's what I think. Practices that won't "allow" deviation from the schedule are disrespectful and the doctors are cowards. Its all about CYA. 

Any doctor worth 2 cents would still treat a patient even if that patient didn't follow 100% of their "recommended" treatments. 

To the OP. we found our doc through our chiropractor. Many chiros do not vaccinate their own kids. Perhaps contact a few offices and ask for recomendations. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#8 of 10 Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, sorry I haven't posted anything else! We currently have a family doctor who is good about vaccines but bad about other things. After calling everyone in the book DH and discussed our other issues with the practice we are at now and decided that the issues aren't as bad as being forced/disrespected by another doc. However that is a good idea to talk to Chiro next appt I have I will ask for his recs! Thanks again.

#9 of 10 Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM

Location: The MonValley - About an hour south of Pittsburgh, PA

First, I would suggest contacting your insurance company. Our insurance requires us to take our children to a Peds - a family doctor is NOT covered for children under 21. Don't switch to another type of doctor til you know it is covered. But, if it is, start calling other types of doctor and simply tell them "We don't/selectively vaccinate and need a doctor, will you accept us?" Most times, they will tell you if they do or don't. We are required an actual Peds. So it's a little harder. We went through 4 peds in my oldest's first 6weeks of life. I was lied to, cussed at, threatened and kicked out of doctor's offices over our choice - frankly I don't think they liked seeing a mother that had more education than they do. But in the end it was well worth it to have a doctor that doesn't push... Of course the fact that I have paperwork in my kids' files that prohibits her from even mentioning vaccines to me or my children helps! lol

#10 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM

I found mine through my midwife's office.  I would say call around to any integrative practitioners, chiropractors, La Leche League, etc. and ask for referrals.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page