Meningitis vaccine paralyzes 40 children in Chad? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 95 Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://vactruth.com/2013/01/06/paralyzed-after-meningitis-vaccine/

Anyone else hear/read about this? I'm looking for more sources.
#2 of 95 Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 AM

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/parents-paid-hush-money-after-40-children-paralyzed-by-vaccine/

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/105057/1/chad-40-paralyzed-after-meningitis-vaccine.html

#3 of 95 Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The Mr M quoted in the vactruth above article, comments:

Quote:
Hello this Mr M from chad direct;  After this website publish the news about the tragedy. The prime minister of chad has visited the hopital where the paralyzed children are now accommadated. The news now on Chad national TV  prime minister with children. I got the video but here internet is very but. for those who has doubt just give a little time to upload the video.

Here is another local source that claims to cover the story, Tchad: Est-ce une incompétence démasquée?

http://www.africatime.com/tchad/

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 95 Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for those links. Glad the mainstream media is so on top of this...oh wait...
#5 of 95 Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
nm

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#6 of 95 Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
There's evidence at the beloe link that it's probably a false report or at best based on no evidence.

http://lizditz.typepad.com/i_speak_of_dreams/2013/01/claim-40-children-in-chad-paralyzed-by-vaccines-is-probably-false-.html
Alenushka likes this.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#7 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 AM

It appears this isn't false, here is a video of a Chad TV report of the Prime Minister visiting the children in the hospital.

applejuice and Turquesa like this.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#8 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 AM

It's remarkable to see the reaction to even a (relatively) small number of serious adverse events. I'm glad it's getting publicity. It makes me even more certain that of serious adverse events were substantially more common than thought here in the us we would know.

I hope they figure out why this extraordinarily high rate of adverse events is happening quickly!
prosciencemum likes this.
#9 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

It's remarkable to see the reaction to even a (relatively) small number of serious adverse events. I'm glad it's getting publicity. It makes me even more certain that of serious adverse events were substantially more common than thought here in the us we would know.

I hope they figure out why this extraordinarily high rate of adverse events is happening quickly!

This is not getting any publicity in the MSM. None. Nada. Zilch. So that makes your statement on how reassured you feel this vaccine reactions are so rare is, at best, redundant.

And are you seriously calling this incident of 40 plus children paralyzed out of 500 administered the vaccine a "relatively small number"? banghead.gif

Turquesa, Marnica and boomer78 like this.

#10 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

There's evidence at the beloe link that it's probably a false report or at best based on no evidence.

http://lizditz.typepad.com/i_speak_of_dreams/2013/01/claim-40-children-in-chad-paralyzed-by-vaccines-is-probably-false-.html

Evidence? I see no evidence. Hmm perhaps we didn't read the same thing. I see an alleged (and partial at that) transcript of an email, and wherein the manager refers to "the accident" and yet makes no conclusive statement on the matter. None. But he can attest to 34 children being affected. Affected with what then? He said no additional information "has been made public". If you can read between the lines, this does NOT mean there is no info; it means they have not shared it with citizens or the media.
Turquesa likes this.
#11 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

This is not getting any publicity in the MSM. None. Nada. Zilch. So that makes your statement on how reassured you feel this vaccine reactions are so rare is, at best, redundant.

And are you seriously calling this incident of 40 plus children paralyzed out of 500 administered the vaccine a "relatively small number"? banghead.gif

As I said its an extraordinarily high RATE. it is a low number, relatively.
#12 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

As I said its an extraordinarily high RATE. it is a low number, relatively.

Relative to what? This is statistician speak and is no relevance to the families involved.

Maybe because they are Africans it is of less consequence to the MSM? Or maybe they are so bought and paid for that stories like these aren't ever going to be covered?

Honestly, I have such a hard time with the concept of blowing this off as "nothing much in the scheme of things".

#13 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM

I do think there's a lot to the assertion that msm is less interested in things going on in Africa. This is very very true in a lot of different areas, not just this news story.
#14 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Yeah I definitely think US news is much less interested in Africa than in naval gazing (to be fair also true, if to a lesser extent, of the BBC).

I wonder how many children died of disease caused by poverty or just general VPDs in Africa in the last week..... Is that on the news?

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#15 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Yeah I definitely think US news is much less interested in Africa than in naval gazing (to be fair also true, if to a lesser extent, of the BBC).

I wonder how many children died of disease caused by poverty or just general VPDs in Africa in the last week..... Is that on the news?

Maybe the number of children who died as a result of vpds in the last week is *less* than the 40 paralyzed. Since we don't have numbers, there is no point.
#16 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM

Slightly off topic - in Chad in 2009 20% of children under 5 died. Wow. Just wow. 3 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_mortality#Highest_rates_in_the_world

Oh, and 1 billion people live on the African continent. I haven't found a link from 5 minutes on google, but I'd bet quite a lot that more than 40 of them died of VPDs in the last week.

#17 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM

The original statement was about Cha, had no backing and was pure misdirection. Give me the number of children who died as a result of meningitis (since that's what the vaccine was for) in Chad for that week. Then we will be comparing like figures. Inflated figures using the entire continent are irrelevant to the discussion.
#18 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Slightly off topic - in Chad in 2009 20% of children under 5 died. Wow. Just wow. 3 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_mortality#Highest_rates_in_the_world

Oh, and 1 billion people live on the African continent. I haven't found a link from 5 minutes on google, but I'd bet quite a lot that more than 40 of them died of VPDs in the last week.

And this would have something to do with the topic of the 40 children being paralyzed...why exactly? We all know stats. Let's stay on topic, shall we? Now, back to those 40 kids....

BeckyBird likes this.
#19 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
nm

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#20 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann View Post

And this would have something to do with the topic of the 40 children being paralyzed...why exactly? We all know stats. Let's stay on topic, shall we? Now, back to those 40 kids....

Lol, right!

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#21 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#22 of 95 Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 PM

Personally I thought the numbers put the general situation for the health of children in Chad in context.

I don't consider a video of sick children in Arica proof often original claims.

If it did happen I'm sure is being investigated. As the original article points out this is a relatively new vaccine - the first ever developed for Africa specifically to reduce costs and try to save as many lives as possible. So I'm sure the developers do not wish to harm children and will be investigating any claims that their product has done that.

I'll look for.numbers on meningitis in chad. I guess WHO might have that. I have a pretty busy few days at work so it might be a while. If someone else could do that I would appreciate it.

#23 of 95 Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 AM

Chad is in "the meningitis belt" so I'm sure the numbers are bad. That doesn't make 40 paralyzed kids, even out of thousands of vaccines administered, ok. If its true.
#24 of 95 Old 01-14-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Personally I thought the numbers put the general situation for the health of children in Chad in context.

I don't consider a video of sick children in Arica proof often original claims.

If it did happen I'm sure is being investigated. As the original article points out this is a relatively new vaccine - the first ever developed for Africa specifically to reduce costs and try to save as many lives as possible. So I'm sure the developers do not wish to harm children and will be investigating any claims that their product has done that.

I'll look for.numbers on meningitis in chad. I guess WHO might have that. I have a pretty busy few days at work so it might be a while. If someone else could do that I would appreciate it.

There are potentially 40 children who were paralyzed by this vaccine. That is the issue. Period.
nia82 likes this.
#25 of 95 Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Yes. Potentially. Given it happened an ocean away in a country with iffy media outlets its hard to know for sure. If it is true, I'm sure we all agree its horrible. What's to discuss?
prosciencemum likes this.
#26 of 95 Old 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM

You're quite right that its irrelevant if indeed these 40 cases are real and a vaccine reaction, but I still wanted to find out (data and all that).

In Jan-march 2012 there were 88 deaths in Chad from meningitus.
http://www.afro.who.int/en/clusters-a-programmes/dpc/epidemic-a-pandemic-alert-and-response/outbreak-news/3600-chad-meningitis-outbreak-situation-as-of-25-march-2012.html

#27 of 95 Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes. Potentially. Given it happened an ocean away in a country with iffy media outlets its hard to know for sure. If it is true, I'm sure we all agree its horrible. What's to discuss?

By that rationale, what's to discuss on this board about anything, ever?

It's a case regarding widespread damage caused by a vaccine. Pretty relevant, but maybe that's a problem for those who choose to ignore the issue that they do damage at all. The sheer possibility of this occurrence probably makes it it too uncomfortable to discuss.
Mirzam, Marnica and BeckyBird like this.
#28 of 95 Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM

I've not met these people who choose to ignore vaccines do damage. I, myself, have stated many many times that they do. I haven't even denied the possibility that they did here.

Other issues have a lot more information to share and ambiguity. This comes down to "my blogger says this happened" "well my blogger said it didn't."

And I wouldn't call this widespread.
#29 of 95 Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

La Voix isn't a blog, its a newspaper, and thats who originally reported the story.

And 40 out of 500 children are paralyzed and you wouldn't call that widespread? Given the group, that's a huge percentage thus widespread. Is it widespread among the general public? Well no, but you can't be affected by the shot if you didnt get the shot.
#30 of 95 Old 01-15-2013, 04:08 AM

Why out of 500? Way more than that have received the vaccine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page