Are there serious risks for chicken pox vaccine for adults? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That is so sad! I work at a hospital, and the majority of medical staff are extremely pro breastfeeding (a few of the pharmacists were talking about how it's great to bf past a year), and many refuse the flu vax :)

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#92 of 97 Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

What I mentioned is certainly not officially recommended but most peds do. I ALWAYS get a stinkeye for breastfeeding, whether my babies were just born or toddlers (from nurses and doctors). All peds (15 in our small town), all of them, are breastfeeding unfriendly. Enfamil in their offices everywhere, telling moms it's better to wean. And they tell everyone to give juice from 4 months on, plus solids (rice cereal being a first) from 4 months. Crying it out is also a popular thing to tell moms/dads. I could go on and on. ANd I know it is not just our hm not so progressive town. I got flack for the same things in CA. And let's face it, the mainstream of parents expects doctors to give them that kind of advice. It's what is wanted. Just as antibiotics are wanted for every ear infection. I'm looked at some crazy idiot for not giving the kiddos antibiotics for each cold (they never had EIs), just as I must be nuts for not circumcising, though all my "things" are usually chalked up to being European. So... This is pretty much the norm. Sadly it is. 

It's horrible isn't it. I suspect most of us are here at Mothering.com due to discomfort with these sorts of practices. Sadly we see views like this in the UK too (like me being ask if breast feeding was "important to me" before getting any help when I asked for advice the first day my son was born!). 

But let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. Just because medical professionals can give bad advice on some (many?) aspects of parenting, doesn't mean all their medical advice should be ignored. Just the same way that everything they say shouldn't be blindly followed, it shouldn't be immediately dismissed either. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#93 of 97 Old 02-27-2013, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post
But let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. Just because medical professionals can give bad advice on some (many?) aspects of parenting, doesn't mean all their medical advice should be ignored. Just the same way that everything they say shouldn't be blindly followed, it shouldn't be immediately dismissed either. 

Many of the things that they come down on parents about (most are parenting issues, not medical ones) are based on their own personal opinion.  (There was a study done of doctors & what determined if they would be supportive or not of breastfeeding.  They found that those who bf'd themselves or who had wives that did were more supportive than those who did not bf themselves or have wives that did.  Please don't ask for a citation.  Read about it many years ago.  Google may help.)  When a patient/parent does not trust the medpro because of what they've said/implied/etc. about one issue, how can they be trusted about other issues?  It is difficult to weed through the crap & that is one reason why (among others) I think that doctors/medpros should stick to medical topics unless expressly asked.  

It is difficult to trust a person on one topic when they are wrong about one/some/many other topics.  Humans don't work that way.  You're either trustworthy or your not.  You're either reliable or your not.  Sure, there are some people who you can tolerate on some of the stuff.  A doctor/patient/parent relationship is not the same thing.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#94 of 97 Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sadly, this is so normal here in ahem hicktown. :( And yes, I can't trust a doctor who spouts off such terrible things. Just like I refuse to see a FP/ped who does circumcisions (RIC, non medical ones I mean). My sister is a MD and refuses them (though she is rarely approached in Europe) and agrees with me wholeheartedly. Those very same doctors and nurses who had such glamorous attitudes towards breastfeeding/CIO/etc are the ones pushing for vaccines big time, marginalizing side effects, patronizing me for asking questions (it was apparently bad enough to ask for a specific brand - out the door I was!). Don't underestimate the state of small town America: obstetrics and pediatrics is quite backwards. I traveled 2 hours South to a big city to have a birthing center birth. Our resident (the FP for our kids) was intrigued by it, he had never seen a birth without meds or IVs!!! But like I said - I love their open minds and that they see everyone from cradle to crave, which lets them put puzzles together better as they see the whole picture and not just kids. 

#95 of 97 Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with a lot of this (although we may disagree with how common it is), and I think we have a responsibility to vote with our feet! Patronize the doctors who are educating themselves and giving out advice consistent with the real evidence on issues like abx, bf, spanking, whatever. The np perspective on a lot of these is NOT a fringe one, it's often what research and mainstream medical organizations support!

I think especially as WOMEN we tend to take things on ourselves and let ourselves get beat up and go on a guilt trip. Don't put up with it!

Easier said than done sometimes, I know. I'm lucky to live in an area with a lot of good hc choices. I know some places there are like NONE.
#96 of 97 Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisandole View Post

That is so sad! I work at a hospital, and the majority of medical staff are extremely pro breastfeeding (a few of the pharmacists were talking about how it's great to bf past a year), and many refuse the flu vax :)

You are very lucky that your hospital allows medical staff to refuse the flu vax.  More and more hospitals and health care facilities are employees for refusing the flu vax.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/health/Indiana-nurses-fired-for-refusing-flu-shot/-/9837732/17983548/-/ijbaqg/-/index.html

http://www.infowars.com/healthcare-workers-fired-for-failing-to-get-flu-vaccinations/

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/11/16/hospital-workers-who-refused-flu-shots-face-firing/

#97 of 97 Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I think one of the reasons I started questioning vaccines was because of all the crap I got when I wanted a natural birth and to breastfeed. Started me thinking about all the ways the medical system had failed me and my family.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Tags
Vaccines , Vaccinations , Chicken Pox

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page