Are there serious risks for chicken pox vaccine for adults? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 97 Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been ttc #2 for over a year and just switched to a new RE who decided to test my varicella titers when doing my blood work. It came back "equivocal", and he wants me to get the vaccine. The only time I had cp was when I was a few weeks old and all my siblings had it (very mild). I looked up the stats and there is a less than 2% chance that my baby would have birth defects IF I even contracted chicken pox during the first 20 weeks. After ttc for so long and having a recent failed IUI, I don't really want to put ttc on hold for this, but I also don't want my child to be negatively affected.

Everything I read talks about how people want their kids to get cp because it's so much worse as an adult. Would those same people recommend it for their adult child if they never developed immunity? Other than reactions like "mild rash" or "sore injection site", is there any severe, documented risk that I need to worry about with getting this vaccine? (ps, I'm not new, just a new screen name)

#2 of 97 Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

The rates of severe reactions are very low. The most likely outcome is that it'll be fine. You might have a sore arm and a mild fever. If you have CP as a child and you have low immunity now there is a risk of developing shingles (a re-emergence of the varicella virus which is currently lying dormant in your body). I'm not sure what the impact of having shingles would have on your health while pregnant, but I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 97 Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I know the risks are very low which is why I'm even considering it, but since I recently had a friend develop GBS after his vaccines (not varicella), I would at least like to know what the possible reactions are. My husband has had shingles twice as an adult so I know how painful they can be, and I know there can be serious complications. Is there evidence that shows the vaccine can prevent shingles outbreak? I know that being naturally exposed to cp is supposed to keep the virus in check, is it just that same idea?

#4 of 97 Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Breakthrough chicken pox is somewhat common. The CDC claims that it's mild. I helped an adult friend get through a nasty, nasty case of it, however, so my anecdotal experience will cloud my judgment on this issue. innocent.gif I'm honestly not trying to scare you out of it, and you'll probably be OK if you go this route. Definitely confirm that you're not pregnant before you get the vax, though. Good luck with your decision.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#5 of 97 Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydilu View Post

I know that being naturally exposed to cp is supposed to keep the virus in check, is it just that same idea?

Yes exactly the same. Except The virus in the vaccine is weakened so its much much less likely you'll get sick from it. smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#6 of 97 Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Breakthrough chicken pox is when vaccinated people get wild chicken pox. It's not when people get chicken pox from the vaccine.

I would not get chicken pox vaccine if I was pregnant, but if I was planning on getting pregnant and my immunity was so so I would definitely get it.
#7 of 97 Old 01-19-2013, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What about an older senior adult who never had pox? is the vaccine safe? my clients daughter was thinking about getting the shingles shot until i pointed out since she never had pox, and how would a shingles shot affect someone who didn't have pox....i told her to get her titers checked for pox, but i doubt she will..her aunt has shingles which brought about the convo about the chicken pox and how she didn't think she had them, but wanted a shingles shot.

#8 of 97 Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Another question- my doc said we only have to wait 4 weeks after the vax to try to get pregnant, and that is what the CDC also says. However, Merck's insert for varivax says you need to wait 3 months to get pregnant, and another website said you should avoid even being around pregnant women (and newborns) for 6 weeks after the vax. Is there another vaccine that I would get, not varivax? Why all the discrepancies?

#9 of 97 Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 PM

Vaccine inserts err WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY on the side of caution. They list a variety of "side effects" that aren't even caused by a vaccine, they just showed up in clinical trials by random chance. I would go with the CDC on this one.
#10 of 97 Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Vaccine inserts err WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY on the side of caution. They list a variety of "side effects" that aren't even caused by a vaccine, they just showed up in clinical trials by random chance. I would go with the CDC on this one.

Don't you generally go with the CDC on pretty much everything vaccine related?

Also, unless you can back up those statements, they should be left as the opinions that they are.
MissCee likes this.
#11 of 97 Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 AM

I think the CDC is an awfully good source of information, but I don't always agree with them, no.
#12 of 97 Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 AM

And I actually originally learned the thing about side effects and vaccine inserts from dr bobs vaccine book.
#13 of 97 Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Yes exactly the same. Except The virus in the vaccine is weakened so its much much less likely you'll get sick from it. smile.gif

No actually its not the same at all. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#14 of 97 Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

No actually its not the same at all. 

Yes it is in that it's "reminding" your immune system of what the virus/bacteria/toxin looks like to give a boost to its ability to quickly fight off an "invasion" of them. 

#15 of 97 Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM

If you didn't develop immunity to CP from having had it, what are the chances that the vaccine will even work? Not saying that I completely doubt it, I just wonder. Some people seem to develop immunity more easily than others. I don't think I ever had chicken pox, at least not that I can recall (Both parents deceased and my baby book was lost, so I dont' know), but I still test as immune to it in my 40s (and never had the vax).

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#16 of 97 Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM

I do have a friend that has had cp 3 times, twice as an adult. For her, it probably wouldn't work. I had one scab/pox as a breastfeeding newborn. I'm not surprised at all that such a mild case did not create lifelong immunity. I even have friends that won't go to a pox party until their toddler is done nursing because they say there is evidence that bf prevents lifelong immunity (I haven't looked into this, just what one told me). 

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#17 of 97 Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 PM

I'm not surprised she didn't develop full immunity from having it as a really small baby when her immune system was still immature and (if her mom was breastfeeding) when she was partly fighting it with mom's antibodies rather than her own.

I wonder if the 3-month recommendation is related to the recommendation to get 2 doses of the vaccine. The package insert isn't clear about whether it's 3 months from the first shot or the last one. Now I'm really interested to know why their recommendation differs from the CDC's.

If it were me I would get it and delay ttc. I wouldn't want to put the fetus at risk. Particularly if I were having to go through a lot of medical help to get pregnant. 

I am going to poke around more and see if I can find out more about the 4 weeks vs 3 months.

#18 of 97 Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 PM

I'm not having much luck figuring out where that time recommendation comes from. The CDC seems to have 4 weeks as standard for live vaccines. None of the sources in the Varivax package insert seem salient. 

I did find this, though: http://jid.oxfordjournals.org/content/197/Supplement_2/S178.long . It is an analysis of 10 years worth of data from the pregnancy registry on Varivax, including women who got the vaccine anywhere from 3 months before pregnancy to during pregnancy. There weren't any cases of congenital varicella syndrome reported and the rate of birth defects was similar to the general population. So I suppose you could take home the message from that that 4 weeks or 3 months may not really matter, since it doesn't sound like there's a risk to the vaccine in pregnancy on those counts anyway. You might also ask the RE where he is getting his information.

#19 of 97 Old 02-16-2013, 07:02 PM

It has chemicals in it too so of course its risky.
#20 of 97 Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 PM

Everything has chemicals. Water is a chemical. Having chemicals in it does not immediately mean it's risky.

However perhaps what you mean is all medicines carry some risk of unwanted side effects, which I obviously agree with.

#21 of 97 Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 AM

Im speaking of toxic man made chemicals.
#22 of 97 Old 02-17-2013, 05:01 AM

Which ones in particular are ou concerned about?
#23 of 97 Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 PM

Most of the drugs used in fertility treatments (at least the injections) have a lot of chemicals in them too, and moat are GMO

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#24 of 97 Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM

For the OP,

Here are the ingredients of the shingles vaccine (as put forth by Merck):

ZOSTAVAX is a lyophilized preparation of the Oka/Merck strain of live, attenuated varicella-zoster virus (VZV). ZOSTAVAX, when reconstituted as directed, is a suspension for subcutaneous administration. Each 0.65-mL dose contains a minimum of 19,400 PFU (plaque-forming units) of Oka/Merck strain of VZV when reconstituted and stored at room temperature for up to 30 minutes.

Each dose contains 31.16 mg of sucrose, 15.58 mg of hydrolyzed porcine gelatin, 3.99 mg of sodium chloride, 0.62 mg of monosodium L-glutamate, 0.57 mg of sodium phosphate dibasic, 0.10 mg of potassium phosphate monobasic, 0.10 mg of potassium chloride; residual components of MRC-5 cells including DNA and protein; and trace quantities of neomycin and bovine calf serum. The product contains no preservatives. (Source)

All of these are manmade.....none of these are naturally occuring substances meant to enter the bloodstream.  Some are known neurotoxins... all of these have the potential to cause harm....  some more so in particular people...though you can not determine who is more susceptible to a harmful reaction. 

Your decision is yours, but yes....it certainly has the potential to harm.

boomer78 and MissCee like this.
#25 of 97 Old 02-17-2013, 03:16 PM

Sucrose isn't naturally occurring?
#26 of 97 Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Or sodium chloride, which is actually essential to the body's functions?

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#27 of 97 Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 PM

From the wiki on msg:

"Monosodium glutamate, also known as sodium glutamate or MSG, is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, one of the most abundant naturally occurring non-essential amino acids."
#28 of 97 Old 02-17-2013, 03:41 PM

Yeah, actually everything listed there is present in nature in one form or another, including neomycin, which is produced by a bacterium. 

Also curious which items on that list are supposed to be neurotoxins, and at what dose. 

#29 of 97 Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM

You can't seriously think the form in these shots are natural? It's one thing to turn your head to the danger, but to deny it's formed in a lab and not taken directly from nature? Im sorry, I truly font mean to come across rude, but that's really being naive to me.. they are man made. Msg is not natural... free glutamates, yes... not this form nor the forms of the others mentioned.
I answered the original question and provided correct information. Im finished. Good luck lydilu. Hope you find the information you sought for.
BeckyBird likes this.
#30 of 97 Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

NaCl is NaCl, whether it was made in a lab or mined by hand.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.

Tags
Vaccines , Vaccinations , Chicken Pox

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page